T Nation

Are Weight Gainers Worth It?

I hate eating 6x day, I just get productive at work, then have to stop and go eat. Are weightgainers any good to replace meals? what exactly is in a weightgainer, and what’s a good one to use?

Idealy I’d like to just have 4 meals a day and two shakes of soemthing, but those shakes would have to have 7-800 cals, so a protein shake alone won’t cut it.

I have never even looked at one, so help me out here.

[quote]js385787 wrote:
I hate eating 6x day, I just get productive at work, then have to stop and go eat. Are weightgainers any good to replace meals? what exactly is in a weightgainer, and what’s a good one to use?

Idealy I’d like to just have 4 meals a day and two shakes of soemthing, but those shakes would have to have 7-800 cals, so a protein shake alone won’t cut it.

I have never even looked at one, so help me out here. [/quote]

With most on the market if not all of them you are paying for added sugar and carbs added to regular whey protein. You would be better served getting Metabolic Drive Complete a high quality protein blend and adding your own calorie boosting additives such as milk, juice, berries, ice cream, whatever floats your boat.

Take care,

D

Agreed. Most Weight Gainers out are just sugar/carb loaded protein shakes with (IMHO) way too many calories per serving. Im not sure the weight you’ll put on with the shake is the actual weight your looking for. Metabolic Drive Complete is a nice meal replacement that TASTE GREAT and packs about 300 cals. As Dedicated has said, add some fruit or milk to add more cals.

yeah, lots of gainers are just whey concentrate loaded with dextrose, which isnt needed during periods of sitting at a desk…Dedicated made a good point with the berries and milk…

You gotta get some Weight Gain 4000:

http://www.erikandanna.com/Humor/FlashStuff/SouthPark/beefcake.htm

BEEFCAKE!!!

what they said

I’d say no. Look at those silly “off season” pics of Lee Priest and Johnny Jackson (they’re not real at all) and ask yourself if you really want to spend money on something that is trying to make you fat.

my suggestion would be to make your own. start with something like Metabolic Drive. use the complete if you want more carbs. add a liquid fish oil to it and some macadamia oil based on how many calories you want, a heaping teaspoon of greens+ and a multivitamin/multimineral (multi+ by genuine health is what i use, 1 cap with each supp meal, 4 caps is daily dose).

this will give you the highest quality protein, carbs, fats, and micronutrients money can buy. it will cost about a dollar more per meal-sized serving than shit stuff on the market. but this will achieve proper nutrient intake equivalent to a healthy meal, while maintaining acid-base balance.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
while maintaining acid-base balance.[/quote]

This last part is a bit suspect. TC stated in a recent FitCast interview that Biotest is working on a Greens supplement product because the ones on the market really aren’t specifically formulated for athletes, and lifters, but for the general population; and the formula is just plain out of date.

He also mentioned being skeptical of the idea that these Greens supplements do change the acidity, stating that there isn’t solid research that proves it.

I have a feeling that Biotest is going to rock us with a Greens product in the near future.

well, i am going to have to go with Berardi on this one. the greens supplement i use and recommend is the same one he does (GREENS+ by genuine health), i was using it before he had it as part of his recommendations. he is also a shill for the company as he is for Biotest products. that alone speaks volumes.

as for the formula, it can definitely be made better, but the Greens+ in particular has quite a bit of research behind it, though i am unsure of any specifics regarding acid-base. no doubt that when a Biotest greens product comes out it will be top notch.

i would not expect a change in acidity as the body controls this tightly, however, the acid load felt by the kidneys will change and that has numerous ramifications with respect to the body’s mineral status. in general going towards a ‘basic’ diet means that you are taking in the correct amount of potassium and magnesium, something that most people fall disasterously short on while overconsuming sodium.

it is the change in the net acid load on the kidneys that determines whether you are acidic or not and being acidic is correlated with bone and muscle loss and deteriorating kidney function with age.

and yes, there is a varying level of products on the market just like any other supplement. some of the greens products are of astounding quality. they happen to be more expensive than most are willing to pay.

i think it depends on the individual. If a 125 lb 17 year old wanted to put on weight, i don’t think id tell them to shy away from the extra calories. they’re not the best but they are cheap and relatively easy.

Some weightgainers are low in sugar-under 5 grams. You may be able to find a coninter that is going to expire in a few months at GNC. I found a 5LB tub of UP YOUR MASS for 12.99. Only problem is the flavor. Cinnabun flavor is not that great.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
ubl0 wrote:
while maintaining acid-base balance.

This last part is a bit suspect. TC stated in a recent FitCast interview that Biotest is working on a Greens supplement product because the ones on the market really aren’t specifically formulated for athletes, and lifters, but for the general population; and the formula is just plain out of date.

He also mentioned being skeptical of the idea that these Greens supplements do change the acidity, stating that there isn’t solid research that proves it.

I have a feeling that Biotest is going to rock us with a Greens product in the near future.[/quote]

Biotest is working on somethign similar to Greens+?? Should be interesting