Are We All Hypocrites?

[quote]celtics2022 wrote:
Hey OP, didnt you just say last week that you were 5’7 and 140 pounds?

And now you’re talking about bigorexia and blowing off dates to eat?

Wtf? Get real…[/quote]

beware of the lurking celtics…

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Being really big and really strong takes many sacrifices. However, that being said, unless it’s how a person makes their living (getting paid) then there is no need to give up their entire life. Bodybuilding is part of my life, it’s not the whole thing. I have an awesome girlfriend, a good career, a baby on the way and a social life I’m happy with, along with a couple other hobbies. Anyone giving all of that up for a few extra pounds of muscle is crazy.[/quote]

I agree, but you don’t have to give up anything close to that. However, it does take good time management and some level of support from family or significant people in your life (fam, friends, s/o, colleagues, etc).[/quote]

I agree, but every so often some confused newb wanders in here thinking he can only eat chicken breasts and has to skip out on his social life to grow any muscle. The idea that everyone with any remote amount of success with bodybuilding does that is absurd, you know? Just like the people that think just because we have thousands of posts it means we have no lives. I think to maintain sanity and be successful at anything, a balance needs to be struck.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:
So I always used to harp on “society” for making people feel like shit about looking like shit - you know what I’m talking about, all the airbrushed Clinique ads for all the makeup women don’t really need; the need to be anorexic-thin and all that shit.

Then I saw someones avatar, it was a picture of an impossibly ripped guy on a pullup bar or something, and something snapped in my head:

My first thought wasn’t “lol, photoshop;” it was “damn, wonder how I can-” and my brain froze. We’re all anorexic in reverse.

We’re bigorexic.
We blow off dates to eat. Or, if we go on dates, we eat like madmen. We obsess over our proportions and rate at which we’re gaining mass. A lot of us have a goal, we want to be X-big or have Y-measurements.

Am I nuts, or are we just anorexic in reverse?[/quote]

Being really big and really strong takes many sacrifices. However, that being said, unless it’s how a person makes their living (getting paid) then there is no need to give up their entire life. Bodybuilding is part of my life, it’s not the whole thing. I have an awesome girlfriend, a good career, a baby on the way and a social life I’m happy with, along with a couple other hobbies. Anyone giving all of that up for a few extra pounds of muscle is crazy.[/quote]

Congrats LM, nothing like becoming a father. I’ve done it four times over. FYI, you can get some early practice by dealing with the OP - he sounds like a big baby! lol[/quote]

Haha, t-men getting laid FTW!

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Just like the people that think just because we have thousands of posts it means we have no lives.[/quote]

LOL. At arm’s distance, I have 3 computers/monitors.

Working from home FTW. It also happens that my Internet connection is the primary source of entertainment (ie. no streaming TV).

I just fired off a database script, so I have a few minutes to read/post, run to fridge, bring food back to desk and eat.

It does make it easy to post a lot on various sites…

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I agree, but you don’t have to give up anything close to that. However, it does take good time management and some level of support from family or significant people in your life (fam, friends, s/o, colleagues, etc).[/quote]

I agree, but every so often some confused newb wanders in here thinking he can only eat chicken breasts and has to skip out on his social life to grow any muscle. The idea that everyone with any remote amount of success with bodybuilding does that is absurd, you know? Just like the people that think just because we have thousands of posts it means we have no lives. I think to maintain sanity and be successful at anything, a balance needs to be struck.[/quote]

For real. While much thought goes into how much I eat during the day and what those things are, I may spend on average about 40min in the gym a day. I work full time, just bought a house, have friends and still log on here regularly. While I do make sacrifices, I don’t cry myself to sleep because I ate chicken wings tonight instead of chicken breasts and oats…and the people who do seem to act like that don’t seem to be making much progress.

I enjoy what I do. It doesn’t seem some of these other people do though. They seem overly stressed.

I am not “bigorexic”. I just compare myself to an extreme ideal, not the average guy walking around. I also think that point seems to be at the heart of confusion.

If some huge guy says, “my arms a little small”…he likely does NOT mean that he truly thinks his arms are tiny even though they measure over 20". He is comparing his arms to his entire physique and his competition.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I agree, but every so often some confused newb wanders in here thinking he can only eat chicken breasts and has to skip out on his social life to grow any muscle. The idea that everyone with any remote amount of success with bodybuilding does that is absurd, you know? Just like the people that think just because we have thousands of posts it means we have no lives. I think to maintain sanity and be successful at anything, a balance needs to be struck.[/quote]

I am not “bigorexic”. I just compare myself to an extreme ideal, not the average guy walking around. I also think that point seems to be at the heart of confusion.

If some huge guy says, “my arms a little small”…he likely does NOT mean that he truly thinks his arms are tiny even though they measure over 20". He is comparing his arms to his entire physique and his competition.[/quote]

QFT - I have the same problem. I look at my middle leg and see how huge it is and spend my time in the gym trying to get my left and right quad to catch up. Does that mean I have a problem??

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

If some huge guy says, “my arms a little small”…he likely does NOT mean that he truly thinks his arms are tiny even though they measure over 20". He is comparing his arms to his entire physique and his competition.[/quote]

QFT - I have the same problem. I look at my middle leg and see how huge it is and spend my time in the gym trying to get my left and right quad to catch up. Does that mean I have a problem??
[/quote]

Well, given the fact that your dick is 2 inches, i’d say you’ve got one hell of a problem, bud.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

In the past, I have noticed the look on people’s faces when I would say something like, “I am trying to bring my chest up” or something to that degree. I know that. to them, I already have a big chest…so they must be thinking that the only reason I want it to be bigger is because I think it is tiny right now.

Bottom line, you would be one really sorry bodybuilder if you already thought you looked great as a beginner and had nothing to work on.

Just because you may be “big” already doesn’t mean trying to get even bigger denotes a mental or eating disorder.

You have a problem if you weigh nearly 300lbs yet really think you look small. Wanting 21" arms after getting 20" arms does NOT mean the same thing.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Well, given the fact that your dick is 2 inches, i’d say you’ve got one hell of a problem, bud.

[/quote]

From the ground - but I get your point lol

If you want to claim bigorexia, you should probably be big first.

You don’t see herds of Oprah watching twinky chuggers bellowing about being anorexic, do you?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

You don’t see herds of Oprah watching twinky chuggers bellowing about being anorexic, do you?

[/quote]

BINGO…yet has there EVER been even one of these threads started by someone who would make others move out of their way when walking down the street?

It is always the little guys who think they have this for some dumbass reason.

If your arms are under 17", how the fuck can you have “bigorexia”?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

BINGO…yet has there EVER been even one of these threads started by someone who would make others move out of their way when walking down the street?

If your arms are under 17", how the fuck can you have “bigorexia”?[/quote]

We need to name a syndrome for people who think they have bigorexia but are still tiny. I’m not clever enough to think of a name, though.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

If your arms are under 17", how the fuck can you have “bigorexia”?[/quote]

We need to name a syndrome for people who think they have bigorexia but are still tiny. I’m not clever enough to think of a name, though.[/quote]

WANNABE-EXIA

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

Then I saw someones avatar[/quote]

i think the name you want is James Cameron’s, and yeah - I thought i was reasonably tall until I saw that too.

Well, wanna-be anorexics are dubbed “fakorexics” by the true twigs… so the term is taken. I guess (taking a note from PX’s gyno thread) it would be “psuedo-bigorexia?”

EDIT: Or wanna-be-a-body-builder-but-don’t-wanna-lift-no-heavy-ass-weight-exia, building on WANNABEXIA

Either way, I’m not claiming bigorexia or faking that I’m some huge swole; I meant this as a general conversation and not claiming to be a social shutin who eats instead of going out with his friends.

Oh, and celtics:
PX hit it on the head where newbs show up not knowing what to do eating chicken all the time wondering why they don’t gain weight - I was one of those newbs two weeks ago took note while I was getting scorched in my first thread here on nutrition. Thanks to BONEZ and a few other resident hardasses, I starting eating less like a rabbit and more like a bull and I’ve finally resumed putting on weight - the advice was spot on, and thats why a lot of us are here, take in advice and learn something.

Also LM, congrats on fatherhood! Get ready to lose some serious sleep time though lol

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

Also LM, congrats on fatherhood! Get ready to lose some serious sleep time though lol[/quote]

That’s what I have the Mrs. Mofo for. :wink:

And FTR I thought you got a rough shake in that first thread of yours.

Well congrats to all the dads then! My daughter’s 2nd birthday party was yesterday. : )

As for the topic - I’d say that striving to be more muscular isn’t so much about some ridiculous obsession, as it is about self-improvement. Let’s face it - past a certain age, if you’re not moving forward, you’re going backwards.

Depending on an individual’s personality, it could certainly become a whacked-out obsession, but for me it’s just another piece of the puzzle in living a fulfilled life. Along with education, I prize physical strength and want to be strong and healthy into my old age.

And we all want to be bigger - for the most part it’s a worthwhile goal and a chance to physically measure self-improvement.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Well congrats to all the dads then! My daughter’s 2nd birthday party was yesterday. : )

As for the topic - I’d say that striving to be more muscular isn’t so much about some ridiculous obsession, as it is about self-improvement. Let’s face it - past a certain age, if you’re not moving forward, you’re going backwards.

Depending on an individual’s personality, it could certainly become a whacked-out obsession, but for me it’s just another piece of the puzzle in living a fulfilled life. Along with education, I prize physical strength and want to be strong and healthy into my old age.

And we all want to be bigger - for the most part it’s a worthwhile goal and a chance to physically measure self-improvement. [/quote]

Well, I am going to go against the way some of you are presenting this…because if you are not obsessed about this, you will not stand out very much at all.

The guys with REALLY big muscles don’t just haphazardly train when they feel like it. It is a very solid part of their DAILY life that they make sacrifices for.

I do not go out a lot. Not because I feel I can’t, but because I am not the “club” type of person.

While bodybuilding should never control you entire life and I think we can all agree that if you are dropping out of school for this, you are setting yourself up for failure 98% of the time, the guys who stretch shirt sleeves likely take this way more seriously than the average guy on this site.

I am obsessed. I am actually proud of it too. I love this shit. I would hate it if i could never train again. I think I look like that too just like most will.

Just try to keep balance in the rest of your life.

Everything fades away eventually, including your looks. Therefore, living for something that temporary alone is a waste of life.

Balance in everything should be the goal…and no one can dictate what YOU should sacrifice for a goal.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

And we all want to be bigger - for the most part it’s a worthwhile goal and a chance to physically measure self-improvement. [/quote]

Well, I am going to go against the way some of you are presenting this…because if you are not obsessed about this, you will not stand out very much at all.[/quote]

I think there is a difference between being obsessed and making it a priority. I make progress because this is a priority for me. And while it is in the back of my mind throughout every day I wouldn’t classify that as an obsession.

I agree, see my explanation above.

Ahh, and there we see it. If you were the club type of person, would you not go to the club ever again because it could possibly hinder your progress for a couple days?

[quote]While bodybuilding should never control you entire life and I think we can all agree that if you are dropping out of school for this, you are setting yourself up for failure 98% of the time, the guys who stretch shirt sleeves likely take this way more seriously than the average guy on this site.

I am obsessed. I am actually proud of it too. I love this shit. I would hate it if i could never train again. I think I look like that too just like most will.

Just try to keep balance in the rest of your life.

Everything fades away eventually, including your looks. Therefore, living for something that temporary alone is a waste of life.

Balance in everything should be the goal…and no one can dictate what YOU should sacrifice for a goal.
[/quote]

Obsessed and dedicated is a very fine line. I think most successful people walk it pretty well.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Obsessed and dedicated is a very fine line. I think most successful people walk it pretty well. [/quote]

Agreed, but the distinction needs to be made. Kobe Bryant says he obsessed about watching old reals of games especially of other players like Jordan and then hours of watching himself to view errors or mistakes.

I watch bodybuilding videos daily, usually while dressing for work and right before I go lift. I can probably tell you just about every significant stage presence at the Olympia going back to 1980…when I was a toddler. While I may spend only 40min in the gym, that doesn’t erase the hours I cook on the weekends, the prep time during the week or the mental effect of literally thinking about this throughout the day everyday.

If anyone wants to know why I stand out when I walk in a room, I would blame all of that before genetics ever came up.

However, the failure is the guy who does all of this and has nothing to show for it or who gives up all other goals in life for this and still fails.