Are Vegetables Really Necessary?

how do you know this? Do you get your levels checked?

are they necessary? No.

Are they beneficial? Fucking obviously.

Eat your damn vegetables. Jeez.

5 Likes

Yes. When I was growing up, I was tested a couple of times years apart and everything was fine. From when I turned 18 to this day, I have been tested around once a year for different reasons and that time period has 3 years of the worst possible nutrition from 18 to 21 years of age after which I started lifting and eating better.

My mom always insisted that if I’m not eating greens, I would at least take a multivitamin and she used to ensure I always had a bottle in my house. That became a habit and apparently it worked.

But as you said, veggies are obviously beneficial. I always eat them if I’m offered a dish that has them but I don’t use them in my day to day diet.

PS. I thought I’d also mention that my blood pressure, blood sugar and other stuff has also always been well withing healthy limits.

3 Likes

It’s been a while since I read the book but Gary Taubes makes a pretty compelling argument in Good Calores, Bad Calories that veggies are not essential. It wasn’t the main point of his book, however the example he mentioned, IIRC, was of a study done by a few medical types who spent like a year or so not eating any veggies and only eating meat. After the study was over they were perfectly fine although probably not swole as I doubt they were pounding massive quantities of protein or even lifting for that matter. It wasn’t a long term study and I don’t think it included very many people so not rigorous by any stretch of the imagination but it’s something.

Liver would be a great way to replace a lot of the nutrients you get from veggies however most people have as strong an aversion to liver as they do to veggies.

3 Likes

No , not a necessity i dont eat a lot of vegetables, but i started drinking a green super food smothie about 4 time’s a week, and my bowel movements are better.

Liver trumps most if not all veggies when it comes to nutrient content. By far one of the best overall nutrient dense foods we can eat, as are most of the organ meats.

2 Likes

No. They’ve never been an important part of the Human diet. They taste horrible and no one really ever craves them. There’s a reason for that!!!

We can’t digest cellulose. Many of the nutrients in vegetables go straight out the pooper because we can’t digest the cell wall, so nothing gets out to be absorbed.

I eat them for taste with many of my foods, but I don’t go out of my may to get in my daily 8 cups or whatever they recommend of fucking vegetables!

1 Like

Also, I consider wheat, rice, corn, beans, potatoes, and other starchy grains to be vegetables.

I’m the same, except I also count butter, red meat, eggs, cheese and milk.

Really helps when the doctors ask if I’m getting enough vegetables in my diet.

1 Like

Wife: Our daughter needs to eat more vegetables

Me: She drinks milk, eats cheese and butter

Wife: Well, she needs more vegetables

Me: So you buy them, prepare them, cook them, and serve them to her in a way she’ll eat them

Wife: Well, she needs to eat more vegetables

Me: milk cheese eggs…

Grape is my favorite vegetable.

2 Likes

‘‘They’ve never been an important part of the Human diet’’

‘‘Many of the nutrients in vegetables go straight out the pooper because we can’t digest the cell wall, so nothing gets out to be absorbed’’

Right

1 Like

I know, but what’s the point in challenging it, eh?

1 Like

They definitely make me feel great, have positive effects on my mood.

I’m the opposite of OP in that I rarely consume fruit but eat a variety of vegetables daily. Am I missing out because I almost never eat fruit?

I eat vegetables with every meal.

Without them I would have to eat something else and hence I would be about 400 lbs.

tweet

2 Likes

In the navy we had spinach, with bacon bits and cheese on top of just to get us to eat. Everybody thinks salad is great but then throw cheese, and dressing on . You would be better off with a blt or a burger .

Albert Beckles a bodybuilder from 80’s who competed into his 50,s . Had an organ meat shake in his blender and would wake up every 2or3 hours and drink i believe raw. Yummy

I guess the effects of limiting vegetables from your diet would come in when you’re at least 50 years old…
Anyway I love eating vegetables, especially broccoli, asparagus and many others. Think its due to me being an asian…

1 Like

I like certain ones for when im trying to trim down, eating a good portion of steak and a heaping pile of broccoli will fill me up on fewer calories than doubling up on the steak. Also i have noticed a few of those “super green” suppliments coming out in the last couple years that they are apparently peptide bonding? (or whichever other term for making it readily digestible is appropriate) the nutrients so that they are as absorbable or even more so than nutrients from most veggies and fruits. I’ve seen a couple studies done on a few of them, i think green freaks by pharmafreak was one that showed this to be effective, but then again it was like 2 studies so I wont try to throw out a concrete verdict based off of that. If it is accurate though, one scoop of powder equals around half a dozen servings each of fruits and veggies nutritionally speaking and a good chunk of your daily fiber needs so once again, assuming it’s accurate and true, one scoop of powder could easily replace needs for almost anything but meats and fats.

Lol so you make fun of your wife for wanting your kid to eat more vegetables? Good stuff.

While 8 cups of veggies a day as you say may be a bit much, I can’t see how anyone can possibly dispute the health benefits of fibrous veggies, dark leafy greens and the nutrients they have to offer.

4 Likes