Are they Sleeping at PLwatch? Rondel Hunte

LOL. The ongoing “I have never in my life heard anyone say that they were going to watch golf” side discussion is a really underrated part of this thread. As though a sport with 100 people that have earned > $1 million this year has to justify that people actually watch it.

I don’t see why you’re getting so excited about this, all I said is that I wasn’t aware that so many people watch golf. I’m not denying it.

Yes, because I keep track of how much everyone is earning

Qualifying for nationals in Canada requires a higher total than Boss of Bosses and involves squatting below parallel and deadlifting on a stiff bar. And passing a drug test, which you obviously can’t. USAPL has ridiculously low qualifying standards, so looking at something like that and saying "

just shows your ignorance.

I don’t know what “elite” standards you are talking about, there is no such thing around here. Elite in one place is nothing in another.

WPC site: “The following tables list the qualifying totals for APF/AAPF full power equipped multiply open division ONLY. There are no qualifying totals for the single lift, raw, equipped single ply, or age specific divisions.”

Wow, that’s impressive, you overqualified in a fed that has no required qualifying total for raw. What was your total and weight class anyway, since you like to brag? And was it with wraps? By the way, WPC isn’t really taken too seriously by a lot of people because of the loose judging.

1 Like

You’re under no obligation to do so.

It just shows how silly your argument is, though. Your anecdotal evidence started as “So how come golf is so big? Does anyone actually watch anything more than highlights? I have never in my life heard anyone say that they were going to watch golf, whether in person or on TV.” and then evolved to “I don’t know anyone that watches golf” - and yet, there are 100 golfers that have earned > 1$ million this year. People don’t get paid millions of dollars to play sports that nobody watches.

jackson-im-just-here-to-read-the-comments-10

Is there any powerlifting fed that IS taken seriously at this point?

Some people take IPF seriously, I just don’t like them because they behave like greedy assholes who want to make rules to enrich themselves. Basically like corrupt politicians. But USPA, GPC, and WRPF seem pretty good. Particularly USPA because they have some big cash prizes.

Well, if had heard people saying they were going to watch golf then what would be the point of saying that I don’t know anyone who does? You call that evolution? I don’t know anything about golf except that it appears to be extremely boring and I never hear anyone talking about it unless they are going to play themselves. The last time I heard anyone talk about professional golf was about 7 or 8 years ago when Tiger Woods got caught cheating on his wife with a whole bunch of girls. I don’t know how much he makes, and I don’t give a fuck because I’m not him. And I can’t name another golfer.

How did this become a debate about golf? Who gives a fuck about golf? I would watch PL over golf any day.

It became a debate about golf when…let’s see, who brought up golf?

Oh, that’s right, you did!

…and from there, flipcollar (and later myself) pointed out that lots of people watch golf, which made this a silly argument.

Nice work starting silly arguments

I gotta figure the only people that take these feds seriously are a select group of powerlifters, and then you gotta wonder if anyone takes powerlifters seriously. It’s a slippery slope for sure.

This whole thread is a silly argument. What are you trying argue here? Do you want powerlifting to be more popular and are upset sports like golf are more popular? What do you want from powerlifting Feds? Why don’t you just start a powerlifting meet with your own rules?

1 Like

I view the whole sport a complete cluster fuck anymore and blame can be laid on The Heads of what ever Fed you want to mention all the way down to the lifters themselves.

1 Like

The thread became a silly argument when people started going on and on about strongman and then freaking out when they realized that I wasn’t aware of how many people watch golf and how much golfers earn. It seems like some people just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

If you want to know what my “argument” was (there was no arguing going on at first) then read the beginning of this thread. If you want me to start my own PL fed then please send me the money to buy racks, benches, and calibrated plates plus rent space to hold a meet.

Oh Please God NO…

1 Like

You’re pre-emptively banned for that kind of talk

1 Like

Might not have been APF. I honestly don’t remember, it’s been years and it’s the only meet I did. I’d have to look it up. I do remember seeing qualifying totals and being surprised at how low they were.

I totaled like 1482 unwrapped in the 181 lbs class. I don’t know anything about the standards of the fed I competed in regarding whether they are loose or not, but all 9 of my lifts would have passed in any thread, as none were a struggle and my bench pause was really really long. I regretted leaving so much in the tank, but my experience had me playing things safe.

Also, your assertion that there are ‘no international standards’ really isn’t accurate. There are charts online you can look up that classify lifts and totals in each class. And they involve a category called ‘internationally elite’. I came up short of international elite by a little bit, but I made national elite. for whatever that’s worth. Regardless, I’d bet you would call my total a pretty good one for the weight class I competed in.

You’re also incorrect that I can’t pass a drug test. I could definitely do it if I wanted to. Just would have to switch up compounds that I’m running and come off briefly. Just fyi, I now that’s kind of off topic. But I, and plenty of other folks, know what is involved in beating a serious drug test.

1 Like