Are they Sleeping at PLwatch? Rondel Hunte

That sure sounds like some jersey shore type of shit.

So then there simply shouldnā€™t be a best lifter award. Wilks is not great (Greg Nuckols gets into the minute details of that) and highest total automatically means that SHWs win. So only compete against those in your weight class, problem solved, argument done.

Not quite that ridiculous, but there is drama-a-plenty. Iā€™m not a powerlifter but I lift in the same gym as some high-level guys. It is a private, invitation-only club. Once you join you become a subject of the power kingdom run by a 5ā€™6", 165 lb dictator with a 661 deadlift and an active social media account. Heā€™s mostly benevolent, but he will totally kick your ass out if youā€™re causing discord. Only he is allowed to do cause discord. And donā€™t question him about holding double-standards, because heā€™s allowed to have those too.

It could be good TV I think.

I donā€™t think that PL will ever attract as many spectators as the World Series or the Super Bowl, but that doesnā€™t mean that authority should be handed over to incompetent assholes that donā€™t give a damn about the people actually competing in the sport.

I think youā€™re blowing things out of proportion an attributing other peopleā€™s comments to me. For example, I never said to ban sumo. I pull sumo.

i think i can get down with this mostly. if weā€™re talking about seeing PL in person, iā€™ll disagree on the bench shirts. everyone i know who is not an informed powerlifting thinks the bench shirts look dumb as shit. On video this wouldnā€™t be such a big deal. Squat suits would be just fine though.

Iā€™m 100 percent on board with getting rid of rules in general. Just get the fucking weight up. Chris mentioned above that he hates hitching and straps, and I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything other than ā€˜i like powerlifting so I donā€™t like those thingsā€™ to justify that stance. thereā€™s no real reason to dislike those things, PARTICULARLY since hitching can make judging weird at times. In strongman, itā€™s 100 percent clear when someone hits a good deadlift and when they donā€™t. Thereā€™s nothing to argue about.

Something that I think would help a lot that goes along with getting regulations out is related to the insane clothing regulations. Let people wear shit that doesnā€™t look dumb. Singlets look dumb. Wear a shirt over your lifting suit so you look like a real person. Orr if youā€™re raw, take your shirt off if you want to. look how you want to look. Let guys wear a fucking hat if they want to.

I relate these things to golf. Golf is a great sport, but the biggest detracting factor in the sport is the insane non-sensical rulings that pop up almost every week on tour. I grew up playing, and I used to watch almost every tournament. But the stupid rules just absolutely wear me out, and they make the sport far less watchable. Nobody likes athletes losing out because of technicalities.

Why do you think PL is a dumb sport? Itā€™s not very different from weightlifting, which is a respectable sport and has been in the Olympics for a long time, perhaps fro the very beginning (I donā€™t know exactly).

rightā€¦ and Iā€™m saying the sport would be better if you couldnā€™t. I listed it as a thing that would improve the sport for spectators, and it still wouldnā€™t be good.

1 Like

What were you trying to say there?

Yeah, shirts could go either way. I have known really uninformed people who think guys in bench shirts are just dudes with poor mobility. The bench in general is the worst spectator lift anyway, which is funny with it being the most relatable to average folks.

Exactly as it reads. No hidden agenda, subtext or rhetorical devices.

Youā€™re twisting my words and taking things out of context. I said that in response to t3hpwnisher saying that taking out the squat and banning sumo would make PL more marketable.

did i argue at any point that weightlifting was a good sport?

strongman is a better sport than either weightlifting or PL because it, generally, attracts better athletes because of the money involved, and the things they do translate better to television. That matters to me. Sport and spectators are essentially intertwined.

Iā€™ll address the difference between weightlifting and powerlifting though, and why weightlifting is marginally better. When I explain the deadlift to people, I canā€™t tell you how many times Iā€™ve heard ā€˜and then what do you do with it?ā€™ getting a weight over your head is simply more exciting and interesting than lifting it a foot off the ground to the average person, because thereā€™s no real mental concept of the fact that the weight is so much heavier. Itā€™s just boring. Snatches and clean and jerks are more exciting lifts to watch.

Weightlifting and powerlifting would be closer if you started doing the things I suggested, I think. Add things to it to make it more visually appealing.

2 Likes

So youā€™re not even presenting an argument but rather making noise about something you have no stake in and donā€™t care about.

I thought I was pretty clear I wasnā€™t making an argument. I was stating an observation.

Whatever man, to each his own.

So how come golf is so big? Does anyone actually watch anything more than highlights? I have never in my life heard anyone say that they were going to watch golf, whether in person or on TV.

This discussion is going nowhere

It wasnā€™t a discussion to begin with. That may be the issue.

1 Like

I think we can all agree that golf is not a spectator sport and probably not even a sport to begin with.

while your anecdotal evidence is SUPER compelling, you should know that some of the absolute hardest tickets for live sports to come by in the world are Masters tickets in golf. They can be extraordinarily expensive. Itā€™s a harder ticket to get than superbowl tickets, for the most part, unless you know someone.

Aside from this, television ratings, revenue for live tickets, and golf prize pools should give you a pretty fair picture of how many people are watching golf. Worldwide, the sport is enormous. Thereā€™s a reason it got added to the olympics.

1 Like