Are these Numbers Realistic?

I have been lifting for five months after ‘retiring’ from triathlon. I started out with more of a bodybuilding split but now I have moved to powerlifting type training and plan to keep it that way. Right now I can squat 225 (just below parallel), bench 165, deadlift 270, and push press 120. By the end of 2012 my goals are to squat 255, bench 185, deadlift 315, and push press 150. Given the amount of time I have been training and my current level, do these seem to be realistic goals?

Those lifts are definitely achievable. Where were those lifts at 5 months ago?

If it motivates you to hear that they’re unrealistic… then they’re unrealistic.

If it demotivates you to hear that they’re unrealistic… then they’re realistic.

Either way, I recommend posting in the PR thread here as you work toward those goals.

Those numbers look reasonable. Good luck!

[quote]The-German wrote:
Those lifts are definitely achievable. Where were those lifts at 5 months ago? [/quote]

When I started I could bench about 95 pounds and squat about 100 pounds. Didn’t start dead lifting until a couple months ago, but I started with 135. I started push pressing three weeks ago with 95 pounds.

yup. definitely realistic numbers that can be achieved.

“whether you think you can, or you can’t… you’re right”

Well, either way, theres only one way to find out. And it seems like you are already on the right track. Even if for some reason you don’t hit them at the end of the year just keep going. Its a longevity game, in terms of making gains.

Thanks for the advice guys. One more question: I was thinking about doing Smolov jr. for bench and squat, then following that with Smolov jr. for deadlift and push press. Would it be better for me to do this or to stick with a more conventional linear model?

Linear progression it will generally be the fastest. If you have been lifting for only 5 months you can generally increase your numbers by 5-10lbs per week easily, so you can reach your goals by the end of the year . What routine are you following? Height/weight?

[quote]Prodigul wrote:
Linear progression it will generally be the fastest. If you have been lifting for only 5 months you can generally increase your numbers by 5-10lbs per week easily, so you can reach your goals by the end of the year . What routine are you following? Height/weight? [/quote]

I’m 5’6 and 152-157 depending on the day.
Monday: push press and assistance work
Tuesday: screw around with some stupid bicep stuff
Wednesday: squats and assistance work
Friday: bench and assistance work
Saturday or Sunday (depending on recovery from squats): dead lift and assistance work

Just keep linear progression, until that stalls even after a deload. A smolov or something that involves wave loading will let you improve, but not at the rate which linear will allow.

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:

I’m 5’6 and 152-157 depending on the day.
Monday: push press and assistance work
Tuesday: screw around with some stupid bicep stuff
Wednesday: squats and assistance work
Friday: bench and assistance work
Saturday or Sunday (depending on recovery from squats): dead lift and assistance work
[/quote]

Good numbers for your height and weight, especially for only 5 months experience. That seems like a solid routine to me, especially if you are able to get to the gym 5 days a week. Just keep increasing weight 5-10lbs a week and you will be at your goal in no time.

Gain 5 pounds by the end of the year, and I guarantee you will hit those numbers

Well i took a little extra rest last week and went in to deadlift this morning. I managed to pull 300 pretty easily, so I’m psyched about that. Plus I have the video:

[quote]RonSwanson wrote:
the end of 2012 my goals are to squat 255, bench 185, deadlift 315, and push press 150. Given the amount of time I have been training and my current level, do these seem to be realistic goals? [/quote]