Are Steroids Addictive?

Hi small introduction i am 24 i weigh 92 klg 179cm height about 17% bodyfat from greece been exercising for 10 years and using steroids for the past 4 and have come to the conclusion that what makes a drug adictive is cleary the image of it you have in your mind personaly i used to thing that steroids made me beter but is that true do they give you more self confidence?

during my off cycles i realized that i was poisoning my self and my mind making it believe that without the strenght and well being the drugs give you i am a nothing and had very low self esteem i believed they were a lie plus people act as if someone using them is a junkie and the bad thing is you cant hide it when you are huge!!

i also find it useless to get in and off cycles every 2 months thats outrageous (yet i have done it in the past) and thats because you dont need roids to make you what you want to be i’ve come to believe i am fooling my self not to mention the terible side effects i sufered!!!

to sum up i believe roids are only needed if you have reached the 100% of your natural limits and crave for 101% please help me undrestand why the risk i’ve taken for my health paid off or did it? do we end up being adicted to them just to satisfy our personal crave?

i didnt expect the image to be so large anyway whatever

Well, as someone who hasn’t done a cycle, you can take my opinion for what it is.

We are virtually the same weight and height but you are a much higher bodyfat. If you believe that you can’t hide your “hugeness” or steroid use, you are dreaming. Not a shot, just what I see as a bit of delusion on your part.

I can agree with you that not everyone should or needs to go through a cycle. But I don’t believe that anyone who is educated on the topic and well prepared is “poisoning” themselves. If you suffered terrrible side effects, then I would bet that you just weren’t prepared. I base this on your idea that one needs to be on cycle every two months, which just isn’t true, and the aforementioned side effects.

I think the word “addictive” is bandied around a tad too much. No steroids are not addictive. Addictive seems to imply an unstoppable need which isn’t the case. Some people prefer how they are on cycle but, generally, that seems to be around their sense of well being rather than any size gain. If you consider AAS to be addictive, then just training falls into that category and we all suddenly are sufferers of bigorexia. Plain silliness.

I guess in the end, I should have answered No to you and left it at that. From your post I would say that you are not addicted to the AAS but fixiated on the idea of what they can achieve. I commented once before that these aren’t magic beans and it fits here yet again. As I said above, I don’t think anybody needs to do a cycle, and a lot of folks will never reach the level of maturity or knowledge where they should do one, but that is a far cry from any notion of their addictive properties.

I think it depends on the person. Some people just have addictive personalities. I know some guys who had their girlfriends leave them (I’m not talkin shitty girlfriends with guys playing the game once in a while) over WoW and Everquest.

I know people who just smoke socially, every now and then and never get addicted, I’ve also known people who got addicted from a few cigarettes. It’s all on the person IMO.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
If you consider AAS to be addictive, then just training falls into that category and we all suddenly are sufferers of bigorexia. Plain silliness.
[/quote]

x2 with your entire statement MR Z, imo it all come down to this sentence in a way. never done a cycle myself, but the urge to do one is gaining ground.

Psychologically addictive?

no they are not
but what is addictave is when i measured my arms tonight and I saw 19"

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
If you consider AAS to be addictive, then just training falls into that category and we all suddenly are sufferers of bigorexia. Plain silliness.

x2 with your entire statement MR Z, imo it all come down to this sentence in a way. never done a cycle myself, but the urge to do one is gaining ground.[/quote]

I definitely felt the same way at first, then gave it a try after finding a source and I don’t regret it one bit. In fact, I wish I had done it sooner. Got great advice and support from the guys around here.

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:

x2 with your entire statement MR Z, imo it all come down to this sentence in a way. never done a cycle myself, but the urge to do one is gaining ground.[/quote]

I definitely felt the same way at first, then gave it a try after finding a source and I don’t regret it one bit. In fact, I wish I had done it sooner. Got great advice and support from the guys around here.

yea a good way of saying it is that the drugs them selfs arnt addictive but the results most certainly are.

I would say yeah they can be addictive if your personality can’t handle it. I love what var does when I am on it. I feel really confidant even cocky. Women notice you more… not just my observation, others have said it too. It makes my physic really nice to look at with barely any effort. It boosts my libido and aggressiveness. I make really good strength gains. I get some bacne from it and mild appetite suppression whoopie.

Now that I have not taken anything for a long period of time and my body is back to a more normal state lets say. I do miss it. I think about it once in a while. And I can see how people that are reckless can hurt themselves on it. Or get use to that feeling and want it.

But if you understand the full effect of a drug that can alter the state of your thoughts. It can’t effect you. And you can resist the charms of anabolics and the superman syndrome I would say your good.

I think the point I am trying to state is that if you NEED them. Maybe you should not be taking them. They are a training aid not a crutch for your life(cept medical users).

I wouldn’t even point to them as psychologically addictive. If we leave out the TRT folks who are just trying to get to normal, liking how you look or the strength you’ve gained isn’t what the OP addressed.

I think the OP pointed to AAS as being detrimental due to their poisoning of the body and their addictive nature. However, from all the responses, nothing has come close to that.

To give an example, a friend of mine has something like 25 pairs of jeans. He goes on and on when he gets a new pair. I own one pair of pants total outside of work clothes, with the fly held together with safety pins, and I think he is crazy. But is he addicted to jeans?

I would prefer to be barefoot all the time. I hate having to switch into gym shoes when I get home when I could wander around with my toes out. I try to go without shoes whenever possible even when it gets cold. Am I addicted to bare feet?

Enjoying something or prefering it is not the same thing as the OP is claiming.

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:

wait a minute if thats you in the picture how can ypu claim you never had a cycle before its imposible to believe i’ll try to send a picture of me sometime later on

[quote]JIMAKOSGIAN wrote:
Dylanj wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:

x2 with your entire statement MR Z, imo it all come down to this sentence in a way. never done a cycle myself, but the urge to do one is gaining ground.

wait a minute if thats you in the picture how can ypu claim you never had a cycle before its imposible to believe i’ll try to send a picture of me sometime later on[/quote]

Because, how someone LOOKS has no bearing on what they’ve TAKEN, drug wise, to accomplish that. It’s about obsessive dedication and consistency. I mean, granted it’s the internet and we’re all anonymous, but are you calling him a liar? People can accomplish incredible things without AAS assistance.

It’s ALL DIET AND TRAINING. If you look like you don’t train, then guess what? You’re not ready for steroids. I got up to a max weight of 240 lbs naturally at one point. I had people accusing me of steroid use left and right at the time. It has nothing to do with your definition or leanness. Contrary to popular opinion, you generally cannot tell if someone’s on steroids by looking at a random picture of them, unless they happen to be freakishly big and a pro bb-er…like say Priest, Cutler, or someone of that nature.

I constantly keep hearing about these weight requirements. What about someone who is 5’7"? Does anyone know of a “scale” to consult?

AAS are only addictive between the ears. The physical body in no way requires the exogenous hormones. [Some might argue from a TRT point of view but that is not the issue here] As the OP said it was in his mind.

Steroids addictive? Not in a chemical sense. But the advantages might. People can get addicted to the gains they make…but I don’t think they get addicted to the drug itself.

My Dr says AAS put one on a “high.” She didn’t specify whether it is purely psychological or otherwise, but I know I feel down when my gains stop. I want some more ASAP and I get quite single-minded abou it.

I guess we are going with a broad use of addictive here. And just to be clear, none of what any of you are describing are even close to the OP’s claim of poisoning his body.

I get the feeling that most of you are saying “addictive” the same way I hear people say “I’m addicted to Tim Horton’s coffee”.

[quote]Waif No More wrote:
My Dr says AAS put one on a “high.” She didn’t specify whether it is purely psychological or otherwise, but I know I feel down when my gains stop. I want some more ASAP and I get quite single-minded abou it.[/quote]

they never made me “high”
vicoden makes you high

the adictive part of it though is the sense of well being that comes along with the androgens. I think.

also with you I also ge tkind of sad when my gains stop
but I dont feel bad when I am proud of myself from my past progress.
its all in the reason why we do this anyways were never ever satisfied with our bodies.