Are Soy Nuts Bad?

so i remember browsing aorund here and the internet and the consensus was that soy is ok fine, but soy protein isolate, that processed crap, will infact lower testosterone levels.

now does the degree of processing affect it? i have a pretty slick deal on soy nuts but i definitely feel like my sex drive has gone down - a possible sign of lowered testosterone. i’m worried as testosterone pertinent to muscle tissue regeneration and i feel like i’m not gaining like i should.

any opinions on soy nuts and processing? when i stopped eating those protein bars with that crappy soy protein isolate i definitely felt i had some gains and also my sex drive went up… it could all be psychological though.

Stop eating them for a few weeks and see what happens.

[quote]johnnyz86 wrote:
any opinions on soy nuts and processing? when i stopped eating those protein bars with that crappy soy protein isolate i definitely felt i had some gains and also my sex drive went up… it could all be psychological though.[/quote]

Cough, cough That would be enough for me to stop eating it.

As far as the psychological factors, did Mr. Happy act slow on the uptake before you read about this or after? Soy is something I tend to avoid for no other reason that it is so high with the phyto-estrogen. FWIW, too little E can result in decreased sex drive (it is a balancing act between the E and T) I’m old fart and have different concerns than yu young bucks. My wife convinced me to eat soy beans because “they are really high in protein and are good for you”. So I ate them partly to mainatain some domestic harmony. Amazingly my PSA numbers went way up. When I stopped it normalized. My doctor explained that estrogen can convert to estrodol and can irritate the prostrate in some men. So I swore off them and gave the wife a bunch of crap about it for fun.

they are not ‘good’ in most senses so there is likely something better to eat. I avoid anything soy except edamame beans because they have a fermentation process that removes the estrogens. I don’t know of any other soy foods that are not high (relatively speaking) in estrogens.

Eat meat instead.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:
they are not ‘good’ in most senses so there is likely something better to eat. I avoid anything soy except edamame beans because they have a fermentation process that removes the estrogens. I don’t know of any other soy foods that are not high (relatively speaking) in estrogens.

Eat meat instead.

-chris[/quote]

Tofu is the fermented form of soy beans. Edamame is just boiled soy beans salted and seasoned. Regarding the fermentation removing the plant estrogens, I’ve never heard this.

Concerning the OP, who the hell told you that soy protein isolate is the only culprit? Soy beans contain plant estrogens and plant estrogens are what you’ve called bad, so…finish my thought, please. I believe in you.

Soy Nuts sounds like an insult. Like calling someone a Nancy Boy.

“Stop curlin’ in my squat rack, soy nuts!”

Hahaha I’m using that insult from now on. The small guys doing the BOSU ball squats or whatever else are now to be called soy nuts.

i dont know i remember reading a post on here about just watch out for soy protein isolate because of the chemical processes involved in it, and that regular more pure soy is fine.

however i now blame my feminine-like body on it. it’s just that i found a cheap tastey snack bar that didn’t have soy protein isolate, just “organic soy beans” that were actually only 8th on the ingredients list, much lower than crappy soy protein bars that have it near the top

[quote]johnnyz86 wrote:
i dont know i remember reading a post on here about just watch out for soy protein isolate because of the chemical processes involved in it, and that regular more pure soy is fine.

however i now blame my feminine-like body on it. it’s just that i found a cheap tastey snack bar that didn’t have soy protein isolate, just “organic soy beans” that were actually only 8th on the ingredients list, much lower than crappy soy protein bars that have it near the top[/quote]

Holy junk science! The “source” you’ve cited is “a post on here?” I once read a post on here that Jews are responsible for Hurricane Katrina, which they engineered with their weather machine. You’re going to have to come up with a better source than that.

There you go, the isolation process for soy protein. Read it. The evil soy companies aren’t trying to poison you, they’re trying to make an inexpensive product. Not the end of the world. BTW, do you know anything about the process to make whey? The milk is curdled using rennet, a chemical extracted from cow stomach. Companies will freeze a slaughtered calf’s stomach, extract the enzymes needed to separate the whey from the milk, and then put these enzymes in milk and let it grow old (in a nutshell.) Large scale industries do some crazy stuff. To everyone in internet land who thinks soy is the devil, in a word, it isn’t. Read the Protein Roundtable articles. Lonnie Lowery says he occasionally enjoys the stuff. His experience and achievements carry an endorsement a long way.

Oh, BTW, learn to take personal accountability. It’s not the evil soy company’s fault that you have a “feminine like body.” It’s your own fault. Do some damn work when you hit the gym. Make every session an honest-to-God, fire-in-your-veins-I-think-I’m-about-to-keel-over-and-die session. Your post is all the evidence needed to draw the conclusion that you haven’t done this.