Are Rest Days Necessary?

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]AllTalkNoLift wrote:
I have not taken a rest day in almost a year now. I don’t mean i have active rest days, I mean I lift weights every day. I have a question that goes out to anyone who has gone without a rest day for over 10 days: are they necessary? Are rest days something that you are only adapted to, or have you noticed they make a big difference for you?

Are rest days the same as training frequency, in that your body responds to the lack of rest by adapting, and not necessarily needing a rest day? Or am I really missing out on some gains?[/quote]
No you don’t need rest days. You’ve obviously adapted to high frequency training that is sustainable at your level of volume and intensity. Lots of weightlifters train more or less like that. You can lift weights every day with plenty of intensity and be fine, you just won’t be able to go full on muscle rape like a bodybuilder might, but it’s just a different style of training.

If you up the frequency you can drop the intensity and volume slightly to balance it; if you drop the frequency you can jack up the intensity and/or volume to scale.[/quote]
Muppet

I think I did provide the disclaimer that you felt was warranted. My point was exactly that - that much is down to genetics. However, I have trained daily for years so there’s a lot of hard work and experience behind my results too. As I said, my feeling is that to an extent the OP is right - you can condition yourself to train more frequently and recover more quickly, but genetics and training age will have a bearing as to what extent this is possible.

Either way - if something is working for you, then as I said - don’t let anyone tell you that you’re wrong because they have no clue of what your background and genetics are.

I think it’s pretty obvious from my post I’m not a bodybuilder. If the OP doesn’t want opinions from non-bodybuilders he’s free to ignore what I say. That’s specifically why I outlined a typical training week.

So, to try and give a better idea how much is down to genetics with me.

I’ve trained hard since my early 20’s. For 20 years I trained in martial arts where the emphasis was very much to push yourself to your very limits and beyond. That has shaped my approach to training. That attitude was learned - nurture rather than nature. I wasn’t active or sporty as a child/teenager.

I had a huge setback 10 years ago when I was diagnosed with hip OA and told my active life was over. This led to all sorts of muscle imbalances and other problems such as shoulder impingement and very poor mechanics. I’ve been fighting back against that for the past 10 years so that’s been a huge obstacle to overcome.

People would generally expect something like that to put you onto a low volume/low intensity program. But I guess my martial arts training led me to respond by fighting back harder than ever. So to be clear - I’m coming from a position of huge disadvantage because of my physical problems. Yet I’ve turned them around whilst training hard at the same time - something the experts said was impossible.

My gut feeling is that there is a genetic component - certainly with finding it easy to keep fat levels down (which has always been easy for me). But perhaps also recovery and response to training. But it’s only part genetic. The martial arts mindset is I think the most significant thing.

I’m currently 66kg (a little over 140lbs?) and 5 foot 6 inches. Fat levels at a healthy 20% without trying, although in order to maximise relative strength I am playing about with upping my cardio to see if that will bring fat levels down to maybe 18% - I don’t think I want to go much below that. I am DEAD against dieting. I don’t have children. I’ll post up some video, photos etc on my bio over the next few days.

What about you? What are your vital stats? training history? Achievements? Do you have children? How much is your ability to train every day (or not) down to genetics/work ethic/experience? What does your typical training week look like?

[quote]susani wrote:
What about you? What are your vital stats? training history? Achievements? Do you have children? How much is your ability to train every day (or not) down to genetics/work ethic/experience? What does your typical training week look like?
[/quote]

I’m the same age you are. One son; he is 25 now.

Do a TNation search: BlueCollar: How Do You Tr8n?
(I couldn’t get the copy & paste to work)
Check that out and we can go from there if you like.

I had a quick scan through that BlueCollarTr8n, but couldn’t really find the bits that were relevant to the points you homed in on with me. Specifically - relating to how often you train, how well you’ve progressed and how much is down to genetics and how much hard work?

You did make a valid point I think. Firstly, “I’m f*cking awesome so the way I train must be right” is of course not that useful on it’s own. Someone with good genes and crap training will still do well. By the same token, someone that isn’t at world class status may still have awesome training methods but just not be lucky enough to have good enough genetics to get them far.

I always maintain that you never know what’s going to work well for you until you try it and see. What other people achieve can give you clues, inspiration and ideas but you can’t assume what works well for some/most/everyone else will be best for you.

So, to draw similar info out of you as you coaxed out of me…

If you can’t train every day (for recovery reasons) do you think that’s down to poor genetics or because you haven’t actually conditioned yourself to train every day?

Have you tried training every day? What was the outcome?

If you simply don’t want to train every day, and feel that you’ve got awesome results WITHOUT daily training do you put that down to your training approach or superior genetics?

I’ve put some stuff in my bio, but not sure if and where it shows up? [away for a few days so if you respond to this and I seem to ignore - will get back to you in a few days :)]

[quote]susani wrote:
For example, one of my strengths is pullups. 670 in a single session
[/quote]
I’m impressed. Do you have any videos? What was your rep scheme, rest periods, ect? Strict, kipping, butterfly? I once did 100 in 5 min 15 sec, but 670? Thats craziness!

You can lift weights every day without suffering. It doesn’t mean you should. My question is why would you lift weights every day? Why can’t you get the job done in less time?

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]susani wrote:
[/quote]
I’m impressed. Do you have any videos? What was your rep scheme, rest periods, ect? Strict, kipping, butterfly? I once did 100 in 5 min 15 sec, but 670? Thats craziness![/quote]

I was impressed!! I’d been doing a facebook challenge hosted by GORUCK - 1000 in 30 days; 2,500 in 68 days and finally 5,000 in 68 days (still to complete the last one). During the 2.5k me and one of the other guys challenged each other to see how many we could do in 24 hours. It just kind of took off from there and we supported each other (and some others) online while we did it.

No kipping. Strict form. However, I did cut them short a little at the bottom deliberately as I felt with so much volume I was risking injury (I still don’t have perfectly functioning shoulders). Looking at the video I think that was a mistake - not necessary and I wish I hadn’t. But still, I think they were pretty good. Nowadays I’m working on a wider grip though to get my back working harder (minimising bicep assistance) and being super strict at the bottom - so full ROM with arms right over head at the bottom.

The strategy was to start out at 4 a minute on the minute and just keep going. I set up a one minute beeper on my laptop. After a while I dropped to 3 a minute then 2. But I kept going WAY longer than I thought, giving up at 670 at around 4-5 hour mark. I learned from that (because I beat much stronger, more experienced men) that I have a distinct advantage when it comes to recovery!!!

This is a condensed video of the highlights of the 24 hour challenge - so you’ll see form at the start, end and various target points:

My race to 100 was 14 minutes and 18 seconds - not so good, but still better than a lot of the stronger guys (At bodyweight back then I was operating at 80% of my 1RM - the other guys were operating at closer to 60 - 65% yet I fared well by comparison on these repeated sets challenges). Is my ability to ‘keep going’ genetic or is it because I’ve conditioned myself to train every day and therefor recover more quickly than most? I don’t know the answer to that. But I was good to go the day after both of these challenges.

[quote]AllTalkNoLift wrote:
Are rest days the same as training frequency, in that your body responds to the lack of rest by adapting, and not necessarily needing a rest day? Or am I really missing out on some gains?[/quote]
There are a ton of variables, so pretty much everybody here is right so far. :wink: If you “wanted” to train everyday, there are definitely ways to plan a program accordingly. However, the overwhelming majority of lifters, regardless of goal, do not train seven days a week. Most have at least one day of no training (no lifting and no cardio).

The benefits of basic recovery, in addition to the ability to adjust training intensity more effectively, often outweigh the benefits of extra training sessions. The body can adapt, for sure, but it’s up to the individual and their goals to decide if the time it takes to adapt and the modified training in the meantime is worth the actual adaptation.

Did you just start training six month ago? I’m guessing you’re a teenager, correct? What’s your current height and weight?

A 17-year old beginner is more likely to handle training every day compared to a 49-year old who’s been lifting 20 years. But there’s still a difference between can and should.

[quote]susani wrote:
I had a huge setback 10 years ago when I was diagnosed with hip OA and told my active life was over.[/quote]
I’m very sorry to hear this and I’m truly glad you’re working past it. But given what we discussed in your “high intensity and fat loss” thread, I find it hard to believe you’d still choose to stick with a “junk food whatever/whenever” diet instead of a nutrition plan at least designed to lower inflammation. This is a sidetrack/hijack, but I think you’re definitely a “unicorn”, to use BlueCollar’s term. But as I said before, if you’re seeing satisfactory results, stick with it.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]susani wrote:
I had a huge setback 10 years ago when I was diagnosed with hip OA and told my active life was over.[/quote]
I’m very sorry to hear this and I’m truly glad you’re working past it. But given what we discussed in your “high intensity and fat loss” thread, I find it hard to believe you’d still choose to stick with a “junk food whatever/whenever” diet instead of a nutrition plan at least designed to lower inflammation. This is a sidetrack/hijack, but I think you’re definitely a “unicorn”, to use BlueCollar’s term. But as I said before, if you’re seeing satisfactory results, stick with it.[/quote]

Quick response - equally not wanting to hijak! Long, long story that I won’t go into, but despite every expert under the sun insisting I had incurable OA I believed otherwise. I always thought it was just a muscle imbalance (and I tend to think that many cases diagnosed as OA are the same). I’ve been proven right - no issue with hip joint now - just working to restore good mechanics now.

I would say that if there’s any ‘unicorn’ in me it’s a mental thing. I absolutely do not accept things that would limit me and fight tooth and nail for what I want. So if you like ‘refused’ to have OA; ‘refuse’ to accept that men are stronger than women; ‘refuse’ to accept that age matters. That comes 100% from my martial arts training, but I was the only woman amongst my martial arts peers that got a bee in their bonnet about wanting to compete on equal terms with the men. That attitude lets me achieve more, and I guess at least some of that comes from genetics. Physically - I’m not sure I’ve got anything different going for me.

So in short, and bringing it back to the opening poster’s question - if you want it then you’ll make it happen. Your body will adapt to your will. You’ll find a way to make it happen. Most people won’t want it enough to break down the barriers enough to reap the rewards so you shouldn’t let what most people tell you is possible be the basis of your decisions. You might try something different and it goes badly. Or you might find an edge that no one else has because they’re playing by ‘the rules’ and doing what everyone else does.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]susani wrote:
[/quote]
I’m impressed. Do you have any videos? What was your rep scheme, rest periods, ect? Strict, kipping, butterfly? I once did 100 in 5 min 15 sec, but 670? Thats craziness![/quote]

Trying to get my head around a 140 pound woman doing 670 pullups in a session. Bron has put up some impressive pull up video in her Q and A thread in the Figure Athlete section, but there’s nothing even close to that kind of volume. I’ve never seen anything like 670, even in very petite women.

About rest and recovery, there was a good quote in the WSJ this morning. Article called The Day Your Workout Fails. “Training does not make you fitter. It’s the recovery and adaptation for training that makes you fitter…So you should train to recover, not recover to train.” Most of the rest of the article was just basic stuff about how proper sleep, nutrition and hydration are important for recovery and often account for why people feel “off” in their training. Not news to anyone here, but that was kind of a good quote.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]susani wrote:
[/quote]

Trying to get my head around a 140 pound woman doing 670 pullups in a session. Bron has put up some impressive pull up video in her Q and A thread in the Figure Athlete section, but there’s nothing even close to that kind of volume. I’ve never seen anything like 670, even in very petite women.

[/quote]

This thing about women not having upper body strength. It’s mainly a belief thing. It took me forever to get my first pullup. Back then I would say men have a big advantage. Nowadays there are few men in my gym with form as good as mine (form has improved a lot since those challenge videos I posted up).

I’ve worked at it obsessively - helped by the fact that I got into a challenge with a trainer at my gym who could already do 20 reps and 3 weighted reps at 40kg. I’m aiming to beat him after one year of training. That year is up in Feb 2015. So - determination/belief/desire and hard work get results - but you need to believe it first or you won’t really try.

That (in my opinion) is why men have better upper body strength. They want it from a young age. It’s hugely important - women like big, strong guys, right? Women (when younger at least) just want guys to like them so they want to be what the guys want them to be. Out-pulluping them tends not to make you popular!!

I know that sounds simplistic, but if you don’t learn to use your back muscles at a young age (and typical little girl play doesn’t involve so much swinging from trees) it gets hard later on as you’re too heavy. And if you don’t believe you can do it you’ll never really try.

Look how when crossfit women start lifting heavy wights, doing pullups and looking good suddenly all women start achieving more. Belief. That impossible barrier - the 4 minute mile?

[quote]susani wrote:
Is my ability to ‘keep going’ genetic or is it because I’ve conditioned myself to train every day and therefor recover more quickly than most?
[/quote]
It is certainly just trained. In fact, along with endurance, frequency/work capacity is one of the easiest things to train up imo. Strength and muscle size are much more difficult, but you can typically show dramatic improvement in recovery ability within two weeks.

Right now I squat 3x a week, deadlift 2x a week, bench 4x a week, and press 2x a week. I’d do more if I had the time lol. I think anyone can work up to lifting at least that frequently if they really wanted to. The thing is you don’t have to, so it’s not like I’d recommend it unless that’s really just your preferred style of training.

My training partner does even more. He runs everyday, does 1000 pullups a week, does squats and snatches every day, and throws in pulls and benching and pressing throughout the week along with some bodybuilding accessories. We’re almost never sore.

The human body can adapt to ridiculous levels of volume and frequency if you make it. Like I said, the first couple weeks will suck, but it’ll eventually feel easy. Now whether or not that is necessary at all is a whole other story. I mean there are tons of guys stronger than me only training 3 days a week lol. I just enjoy my time at the gym, so I like to train as often as I can regardless.

Sorry, I tried to watch your pullup video but couldn’t see it. Sets of 2-4 partial pullups per minute over 5 hours. Well that explains a lot. Wow. As for the power of positive attitude and believing that I can have more upper body strength than men? Err…I don’t know what to say to that. I don’t even try to compete with them. My untrained 18-year old son was stronger than me very quickly. I don’t think that’s just because I’m limited by my lack positive thinking, but I hear what you are saying.

This is the body type you expect to see on a woman who has a lot of pullups. Very fun to watch.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
Sorry, I tried to watch your pullup video but couldn’t see it. Sets of 2-4 partial pullups per minute over 5 hours. Well that explains a lot. Wow. As for the power of positive attitude and believing that I can have more upper body strength than men? Err…I don’t know what to say to that. I don’t even try to compete with them. My untrained 18-year old son was stronger than me very quickly. I don’t think that’s just because I’m limited by my lack positive thinking, but I hear what you are saying.

This is the body type you expect to see on a woman who has a lot of pullups. Very fun to watch.

The world record holder for “most pullups in 24 hours” used a similar approach. Staring out at around 5 a minute. That’s the standard way to tackle these big challenges. So me starting out at 4 was actually quite a high number given my 1RM, max reps and the short amount of time I’ve been dong pullups.

I posted up the video for everyone to see for themselves what the form was like. Those that do pullups will all form their own opinion as to how hard it is to do that number with that form. I know for most people that 670 in a single session is good going even without that lockout at the bottom. I’m planning on repeating the challenge sometime soon though with full lockout so we’ll see how that goes. In fact, you’ve inspired me to blow my previous 670 out of the window…so thank you for that :slight_smile:

Getting back to the topic - that was my point that stirred all this ‘lets see what you can do’ up - I claimed that i’m still improving rapidly whilst training every day. I was asked to provide evidence of that. Maybe my next video of my 24 hour challenge will be proof of that. I’ll get some more form videos too when I get back from my break to show the improvements in the 3 months or so since I did those challenges. I am most definitely improving rapidly on daily training.

Each to his (or her) own, but I find that competition is what brings out the best in me. Men are generally much better at things like pullups so it makes sense to me to try and beat the men if you want to really reach your full potential. Already I do pullups better than most men I know (I wouldn’t have achieved that if I just believed the myth men were stronger than women)…and I’m only just getting warmed up!! Things that women are the leaders in I’d pick a woman to try and beat. I like to have a nice challenging goal to chase after - something that’ll really stretch me.

EDIT: I can’t see your video either!! LOL

^ Gah!! It’s youtube Kacy Catanzaro 2014 Dallas Finals American Ninja Warrior. It’s pretty fun to see her athleticism. And her training is all BW movements/ gymastics based. I admire her physique. Add an inch or two in height and some monster calves and she’d be perfect. :wink:

Cool about your pullup challenge. When you said 670 in one session, we were all picturing a typical hour or so in the gym. The clarification makes more sense.

About women and strength, people like Lil Power (she logs in the Over 35 forum) are just incredibly strong, and she’s definitely stronger than many men. She’s super fun to watch, even though her lifts scare me to death. Of course, if you looked at her peers, men who are into PLing at her weight class, I’d imagine the men are a lot stronger. The only time I get to feel strong is when I see some 95 pound freshman come in to the university gym for the first time and get stapled by the bar. :slight_smile:

670 over many hours at 2-4 per minute is different than what I had in mind as well.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Right now I squat 3x a week, deadlift 2x a week, bench 4x a week, and press 2x a week. I’d do more if I had the time lol. I think anyone can work up to lifting at least that frequently if they really wanted to. The thing is you don’t have to, so it’s not like I’d recommend it unless that’s really just your preferred style of training.

My training partner does even more. He runs everyday, does 1000 pullups a week, does squats and snatches every day, and throws in pulls and benching and pressing throughout the week along with some bodybuilding accessories. We’re almost never sore.

The human body can adapt to ridiculous levels of volume and frequency if you make it.[/quote]
Here’s a question (and I promise it’s not loaded. I don’t have an answer in mind): If you guys weren’t able to train so often, do you think you could revamp your approach to still see consistent progress?

Meaning, if overnight you both got hired for a $200k/yr job that required a 60-hour work week or you had an instant wife and triplets (whatever, it’s hypothetical, so fill in your own game-changer details). If your available training time was reduced significantly, do you think you could “de-condition” yourself to still respond well to a reduced frequency and fewer training sessions? Or is the frequency/intensity-genie out of the bottle?

[quote]susani wrote:
This thing about women not having upper body strength. It’s mainly a belief thing. [/quote]
That’s like believing you’re a redhead when you’re a brunette. Sorry, but it’s actually more of a physiology thing. But I certainly agree that consistent, dedicated training and getting over the mental hurdle of “can’t” can be a huge advantage. I’ve seen some women completely freakout, in a good way, when they knock out their first few full-range push-ups after I’ve worked them away from “girl push-ups” on bent knees.

To be nitpicky, some might point out that you’re active every day. 3 days of resistance training (at least one that’s mostly gymnastic work) and 4 days of cardio (with one long easy run and one very long hike) isn’t quite comparable to, say, five or six days of lifting. But you did say you’ve done strength training everyday and recovered/progressed fine. Again, I think you pretty much hit the genetic lottery.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

The human body can adapt to ridiculous levels of volume and frequency if you make it.[/quote]
Here’s a question (and I promise it’s not loaded. I don’t have an answer in mind): If you guys weren’t able to train so often, do you think you could revamp your approach to still see consistent progress?

Meaning, if overnight you both got hired for a $200k/yr job that required a 60-hour work week or you had an instant wife and triplets (whatever, it’s hypothetical, so fill in your own game-changer details). If your available training time was reduced significantly, do you think you could “de-condition” yourself to still respond well to a reduced frequency and fewer training sessions? Or is the frequency/intensity-genie out of the bottle?
[/quote]
Oh absolutely. It’s the same in training as anything else; easy come, easy go. The faster and easier something is to train the faster and easier it is to lose it. I could “de-condition” and eventually get a perfectly good training effect with only 2-4 sessions per week I’m sure. Just a different style of training. The frequency does have some inherent advantages though. A big one is improving form. You get so many chances to practice perfect technique.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
About women and strength, people like Lil Power (she logs in the Over 35 forum) are just incredibly strong, and she’s definitely stronger than many men. She’s super fun to watch, even though her lifts scare me to death. Of course, if you looked at her peers, men who are into PLing at her weight class, I’d imagine the men are a lot stronger. The only time I get to feel strong is when I see some 95 pound freshman come in to the university gym for the first time and get stapled by the bar. :slight_smile: [/quote]

That’s where I think a lot of women limit themselves.

This notion that men are stronger than women - well, using the pullups as an example. I do pullups better than most men that I know. I’m 51, written off by doctors and physios as too f*cked up to do anything and STILL I’m doing better than young guys in their prime that I’m sure would LOVE to be awesome at pullups. The reality is that I CAN do pullups better than most men already and I’m only just getting started. Momentum is building. So this notion that men are stronger than women simply isn’t holding true - its a misleading generalization. You can have the best genetics in the world (male genes :slight_smile: ), but if you don’t get off your backside and work at something you can’t claim to be superior just because you happen to share a few genes with the people that are at the top of the game.

This is what I mean about believing. Sure, maybe some, most…even all men have genes that make them physically capable of being better at pullups than me. But it’s more than just the physical - it’s the mental drive, the desire, the goal setting…and finding the training methods that’ll get you where you want to be rather than just mindlessly doing what everyone else does.

Take into account my 1RM and max reps my 670 in 24 hours and even my 100 in 14 minutes 18 seconds is high. It highlights an advantage I have over much stronger, much more experienced ‘pullupers’ - an ability to churn out high volume, in small sets, day in and day out without injury or deterioration in performance. In fact I improve as the days go by.

It’s been observed by others (CT recently wrote an article on the subject) - not just me. Women generally recover better than men. I don’t know how I compare to other women in that respect because I don’t know of any that have tried. Can I use that to get ahead of the guys? Maybe. What about the fact that I’ve trained myself to cope with daily training - can that give me the edge? Always I’m looking for the edge - the thing that’ll give me the advantage. Even if it’s just to psyche out the opposition!!! LOL

Again I digress…the point that led to all this discussion of my pullup ability is that I’m thriving and still making great progress on daily training. That was called into question and further clarification and details of my current status were requested. That’s been provided.

Lets revisit this. See where my unconventional approaches get me in the longer term. Currently I’m only doing pullups three days a week but I go through long stages of doing them everyday in high volume. I’m working to a training target of Feb 2015 so I’ll report back and let you all know where I’m at then. I’ll also log how I train and share that.

I NEED to stop following this thread now. I’m off on a hiking trip tomorrow and I’m supposed to be packing. But loved the debate and I WILL mark in my diary to report back in Feb 2015 and I’ll try and PM those of you that have shown an interest.

[quote]susani wrote:
I had a quick scan through that BlueCollarTr8n, but couldn’t really find the bits that were relevant to the points you homed in on with me. Specifically - relating to how often you train, how well you’ve progressed and how much is down to genetics and how much hard work?

You did make a valid point I think. Firstly, “I’m f*cking awesome so the way I train must be right” is of course not that useful on it’s own. Someone with good genes and crap training will still do well. By the same token, someone that isn’t at world class status may still have awesome training methods but just not be lucky enough to have good enough genetics to get them far.

I always maintain that you never know what’s going to work well for you until you try it and see. What other people achieve can give you clues, inspiration and ideas but you can’t assume what works well for some/most/everyone else will be best for you.

So, to draw similar info out of you as you coaxed out of me…

If you can’t train every day (for recovery reasons) do you think that’s down to poor genetics or because you haven’t actually conditioned yourself to train every day?

Have you tried training every day? What was the outcome?

If you simply don’t want to train every day, and feel that you’ve got awesome results WITHOUT daily training do you put that down to your training approach or superior genetics?

I’ve put some stuff in my bio, but not sure if and where it shows up? [away for a few days so if you respond to this and I seem to ignore - will get back to you in a few days :)][/quote]

One issue I see is the word training. Running and stretching or walking ect. Doesn’t fall at least into my definition of training. That’s is just movment. Pull-ups everyday. Not training to me. If I move those into my definition of training then sure I agree everyone can and should “train” everyday