T Nation

Are Our Troops Terrorists?

What do Lixy, Brad, OklahomaSt, Wreckless, and so forth, think of the following:

"No one was feeling the love on Wednesday, when the argument with Hasselbeck began over O’Donnell’s statement last week about the war: “655,000 Iraqi civilians have died. Who are the terrorists?”

More…

"According to a New York Post report, O’Donnell’s chief writer, Janette Barber, was allegedly led out of the building on Wednesday after she was caught drawing mustaches on photographs of Hasselbeck in “The View” studios. ABC executives didn’t return repeated calls for questions on the incident Friday.

On Thursday O’Donnell had asked for a day off to celebrate her partner’s birthday. “The View” aired a taped show on Friday.

On her Web site, O’Donnell posted a scrapbooklike video on Friday with pictures and news clippings of her tenure at “The View.” Cyndi Lauper’s “Sisters of Babylon” played in the background."

No, of course not.

I do think that heavily anti-war types tend to look at the totality of the outcome of a war and heap all the pain and suffering that results on the participants.

They tend not to accept “justifications” or “explanations” concerning the differences between combatting parties. In all cases, on both sides, leaders are sending people off to either die or kill other people.

I don’t share the complete anti-war viewpoint, but I can recognize it without getting upset about the types of statements that come out because of it.

However, I think the view of the anti-war folks is countered by the view of those warhawks that glorify combat and cheer it on as some kind of entertainment – as long as it is happening far away.

Obviously, I don’t share that viewpoint either.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
What do Lixy, Brad, OklahomaSt, Wreckless, and so forth, think of the following:

"No one was feeling the love on Wednesday, when the argument with Hasselbeck began over O’Donnell’s statement last week about the war: “655,000 Iraqi civilians have died. Who are the terrorists?”

More…

"According to a New York Post report, O’Donnell’s chief writer, Janette Barber, was allegedly led out of the building on Wednesday after she was caught drawing mustaches on photographs of Hasselbeck in “The View” studios. ABC executives didn’t return repeated calls for questions on the incident Friday.

On Thursday O’Donnell had asked for a day off to celebrate her partner’s birthday. “The View” aired a taped show on Friday.

On her Web site, O’Donnell posted a scrapbooklike video on Friday with pictures and news clippings of her tenure at “The View.” Cyndi Lauper’s “Sisters of Babylon” played in the background."[/quote]

Your continued fascination for all things Rosie is much more interesting than anything she or her cohorts say on TV.

Terrorism is a tactic. Our troops are not terrorist but are soldiers that went to open war with the former Iraqi regime and now are serving as a peacekeeping force.

Collateral damage is not the same thing as trying to instill fear into a civilian populous by randomly targeting civilians.

The comment is inaccurate sensationalism but I believe that many people have thought all along that the U.S. invasion was unjustified and many more in hindsight have come to feel this way.

That some might even go so far as to consider it a crime similar to terrorism seems like a safe assumption.

Rosie has someone write that stuff?

I thought they just sat around talking. I didn’t realize it was that scripted. Wha a bunch of crap.

I am getting soooo pissed about people calling our troops terrorists. the next person who says it in front of me is going to need reconstructive surgery.

As for Rosie, that fat pig is too stupid to come up with her own stuff, of course she uses a writer.

Hey moron, I’m a conservative. I support the troops 100%.

That doesn’t mean I don’t think the war was a big blunder from the get-go. We had OBL surrounded in Tora Bora and should’ve bombed that place to the stone age.

Instead, for some strange reason we attacked Iraq, a country that had NOTHING AT ALL to do with 9/11. Saddam was actually a nice little buffer between Iran and the rest of the mideast for us. Not to mention he was someone who hated OBL.

Who the fuck cares? Rosie is an idiot, so is Elizabeth Hasslebeck.

[quote]TDetroit wrote:
I am getting soooo pissed about people calling our troops terrorists. the next person who says it in front of me is going to need reconstructive surgery.

[/quote]

You’ve seen people say that? Hmm. I never have. Certainly not in person.

I do think that occupying Iraq is the worst foriegn policy blunder in my lifetime, if not in America’s history. And now in the news comes word that the intelligence agencies and military knew in advance and warned Bush that Iraq would descend into chaos if Bush invaded.

But he did it anyway, because, you know, “God told him to” and when you’re a kook like Bush who thinks he talks to God, I guess you can’t say No.

I don’t know how many Iraqi civilains are dead, I would guess it’s over 100,000 innocent people, not counting anyone who picked up a gun, but that’s just a guess.

There is a definite humanitarian crisis in the region with a million Iraqi refugess streaming into other countries to escape, only 2 hours of electricity a day, and a completely feeble Iraqi government installed by us, that is unable to wipe it’s own ass, let alone defend itself.

Almost everyone except Cheney and a handful of other bastards were privately telling Bush not to do it, but of course Bush knew better, and here we are today, going on 5 years now and absolutely no solutions, no plans, and no end in sight.

In short, our troops are not terrorists, they are merely pawns in Bush’s grand fiasco.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
What do Lixy, Brad, OklahomaSt, Wreckless, and so forth, think of the following:

"No one was feeling the love on Wednesday, when the argument with Hasselbeck began over O’Donnell’s statement last week about the war: “655,000 Iraqi civilians have died. Who are the terrorists?”

More…

"According to a New York Post report, O’Donnell’s chief writer, Janette Barber, was allegedly led out of the building on Wednesday after she was caught drawing mustaches on photographs of Hasselbeck in “The View” studios. ABC executives didn’t return repeated calls for questions on the incident Friday.

On Thursday O’Donnell had asked for a day off to celebrate her partner’s birthday. “The View” aired a taped show on Friday.

On her Web site, O’Donnell posted a scrapbooklike video on Friday with pictures and news clippings of her tenure at “The View.” Cyndi Lauper’s “Sisters of Babylon” played in the background."

Your continued fascination for all things Rosie is much more interesting than anything she or her cohorts say on TV.
[/quote]

Just as Plato wrote the Republic to try to understand the concept of Justice (because particular examples of it don’t leap out at us immediately), I find that trying to understand how a person who thinks in her manner and as a representative of a segment of our culture interesting.

Not quite the same as your fascination with your fellow Quebecian Celine Dion, but you get my drift.

US troops are merely executing whatever they’re told to do. So, no, I don’t consider them terrorists. On the other hand, the strategic planner definitely are. We’re all watching the extraordinary deployment in the Gulf, and despite what Gates says, that was done with the intent to instill terror in the heart of Tehranians.

Anyway HH, the info you shared is clearly not worth reporting or debating in the first place.

[quote]TDetroit wrote:
the next person who says it in front of me is going to need reconstructive surgery. [/quote]

Now THAT is terrorism.

[quote]lixy wrote:
US troops are merely executing whatever they’re told to do. So, no, I don’t consider them terrorists. On the other hand, the strategic planner definitely are. We’re all watching the extraordinary deployment in the Gulf, and despite what Gates says, that was done with the intent to instill terror in the heart of Tehranians.

Anyway HH, the info you shared is clearly not worth reporting or debating in the first place. [/quote]

Now that IS interesting — why do you say that? Rosie represents a segment of our population. Our news media would broadcast her latest rant and the audience would be giving her a standing O. If someone said that 2 + 2 make 5, wouldn’t you be the least bit curious as to why they said that?

Since Americans are the most moral people on earth, we’d like to understand why someone perceives our troops as being immoral. According to her morality, the troops are terrorists. Since I obviously can’t (won’t) get an answer from Rosie, I’m seeking an answer from those who think like her. Get it now?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Now that IS interesting — why do you say that? Rosie represents a segment of our population. [/quote]

Yeah, but she’s about as notable as Paris Hilton. Who gives a damn what she thinks or not?

This oughta be just another flamebait. But, at some level, I’m sure you believe it.

Sad.

No, the answer is obvious. She’s just an angry chick who’s bread and butter is inflammatory language. But you knew that already…

[quote]lixy wrote:
US troops are merely executing whatever they’re told to do. So, no, I don’t consider them terrorists. On the other hand, the strategic planner definitely are. We’re all watching the extraordinary deployment in the Gulf, and despite what Gates says, that was done with the intent to instill terror in the heart of Tehranians.

Anyway HH, the info you shared is clearly not worth reporting or debating in the first place. [/quote]

A deployment of warships to the Persian Gulf is not terrorism. If it is, then the deployment of Iranian Silkworm anti-ship missles to the coast bordering the Strait of Hormuz is also a terrorist act. Iranian testing of medium range ballistic missles is a terrorist act. If you are going to liberally apply the terrorism label, then apply it without bias.

[quote]BH6 wrote:
A deployment of warships to the Persian Gulf is not terrorism. If it is, then the deployment of Iranian Silkworm anti-ship missles to the coast bordering the Strait of Hormuz is also a terrorist act. [/quote]

Imagine if a foreign power invaded one of your bordering countries, then started packing their warships around your coasts while calling you “axis of evil”, supporting your separatist movements, and organizing campaigns of disinformation to overthrow your government. Don’t seem quite the same as testing missiles inside your OWN territory.

One is an act of agression. The other, a defensive reaction.

[quote]lixy wrote:
BH6 wrote:
A deployment of warships to the Persian Gulf is not terrorism. If it is, then the deployment of Iranian Silkworm anti-ship missles to the coast bordering the Strait of Hormuz is also a terrorist act.

Imagine if a foreign power invaded one of your bordering countries, then started packing their warships around your coasts while calling you “axis of evil”, supporting your separatist movements, and organizing campaigns of disinformation to overthrow your government. Don’t seem quite the same as testing missiles inside your OWN territory.

One is an act of agression. The other, a defensive reaction.[/quote]

Imagine a foreign power invades your embassy and holds your citizens hostage for year. Imagine a foreign power positions anti ship missles on a sea lane that 40% of the world’s oil travels through. Imagine a foreign power holds that sea lane hostage with threats of attacking civilian shipping. Imagine a foreign power regularly threatens an ally with destruction.

Those are acts of aggression. Responses to those acts are defensive, to protect allies and maintain the rights of free passage through sea
lanes.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Since Americans are the most moral people on earth…
[/quote]

Where do you get this stuff?

Refer to my topic “Iran at war with US.” Acts of war have already been committed. This is not only an appropriate response, but also a rather limited one.

[quote]BH6 wrote:
Imagine a foreign power invades your embassy and holds your citizens hostage for year. [/quote]

Didn’t the US invade the Iranian embassy in Iraq? Didn’t you kidnapp Iranians in the incident?

How’s that different from your navy that’s all around the globe? At least, the Iranians are doing it at home.

Meanwhile, it’s the US who’s got a record of actual destruction.

And for the last time, the Iranian government clarified what Ahmadinejad meant in his speech that was widely mistranslated. That wasn’t a threat.

How about Mossadeq? Wasn’t that an act of agression? How about arming Saddam?