Are Olympic Weightlifters Athletes?

[quote]nik133 wrote:
Yeah I agree, just because you are jealous of her mass doesn’t mean you should put her down! People said the same thing about Cutler too much mass and now look at him MR OLYPMIA, shes on the right track![/quote]

there is a BIIIIG difference between Jay Cutlers mass and this womens bulk. that was so stupid what you just said…i hope it was sarcastic

Questioning whether she’s an athlete is pretty dumb, imo.
If you classify olympic lifting as a sport (which I assume we do), then the people competing in that sport are, by definition, athletes.
Whether they’re smart athletes or not…well that’s really what the debate is about.

Weightlifters come in different shapes and sizes.

Anyway, here is one hot female lifter.

Fucking stupid. Would you call Rezazadeh not an athlete because he is a fat cunt? Didn’t think so.

You can be fat and an athlete at the same time, just because you don’t have hawt abz and enjoy steak pie a tad too is irrelevant.

[quote]Enigman wrote:

geeez thanks for fixing the thread dude!!

1. She obviously qualified for the event, meaning she beat other athletes at some point.

2. Have you competed on the national level in anything?

Who are you to judge? Do I think she’s leading the healthiest lifestyle, not at all, however, you shouldn’t mock her hard work and dedication to her sport. I can’t clean and jerk that much weight. There are plenty of male oly lifters who would be considered “out of shape” or “non-athletic” from a visual stand-point. Check a number of heavy weights from past and present. They’re still athletes, olympians, champions.

Most of the guys to 94kg are condsidered at the very least in shape, a fair % of the 105 guys are also in shape but not as lean but the 56-85kg guys are pretty dam lean at the top level and lower down also. It’s the super heavy weights where they don’t particularly look like they actually work out until you see them.

Sure it isn’t the healthiest thing for her to have 10kg of fat around her stomach but she sure is dam well an athlete with a lot of power that shames most of the guys here.

Lets see videos of you C&J 120g…yeah thought not.

Koing

[quote]BAdWolf wrote:
geeez thanks for fixing the thread dude!![/quote]

I dunno. That girl’s front squat is atrocious.

She’s obviously an “athlete”, as she’s participating in a sport. I wouldn’t call her ‘athletic’ though.

Same with, say, marathon runners. It depends on your definition I guess, but to me… An athlete is anyone who participates in a sport.

But one wouldn’t have to an athlete to be athletic by my definition. Though you’d think it’d help, as it does in most cases, but not her…

[quote]Enigman wrote:

- YouTube [/quote]

What a babe! Cute face too :slight_smile:

funmetal

[quote]ZeroSleep wrote:
She’s obviously an “athlete”, as she’s participating in a sport. I wouldn’t call her ‘athletic’ though.

Same with, say, marathon runners. It depends on your definition I guess, but to me… An athlete is anyone who participates in a sport.

But one wouldn’t have to an athlete to be athletic by my definition. Though you’d think it’d help, as it does in most cases, but not her…[/quote]

So Clean and Jerking 120Kg over head for a female isn’t athletic? Clean and Jerking 100kg for ANYONE, let alone a girl is fairly impressive imo.

I think people are just hung up over her body fat %. What about the big girls but that have a lower bf% then her?

It’s a sport about lifting as much weight over head as possible. The winner lifts the most. This isn’t who has the most ripped body that can lift weights over head as well. As much as the bodybuilder wins on aesthetics and not how much he can Clean and Jerk!

Koing

[quote]sugarkills wrote:
hahahah wow… i dont even know what to say about that… she might be able to out lift you …but if you had to race to the weights then she probably wouldnt stand a chance …[/quote]

dumbass…

Not only can she lift more than you, but she has a higher work capacity than you. You would not survive 4days of her training regime with lower weights.

[quote]Koing wrote:
So Clean and Jerking 120Kg over head for a female isn’t athletic? Clean and Jerking 100kg for ANYONE, let alone a girl is fairly impressive imo.

I think people are just hung up over her body fat %. What about the big girls but that have a lower bf% then her?

It’s a sport about lifting as much weight over head as possible. The winner lifts the most. This isn’t who has the most ripped body that can lift weights over head as well. As much as the bodybuilder wins on aesthetics and not how much he can Clean and Jerk!

Koing[/quote]

I think the vast majority of people (myself included) use the term “athletic” to describe people who are relatively lean (or not just a tub of lard) and capable of performing in a variety of sports to some degree, i.e. they can run, jump, have some level of strength, etc etc (this part of the definition probably varies from person to person). So, in that regard, is clean and jerking 120kg athletic? Not necessarily. Strong? Yes. Impressive? Absolutely. But not necessarily athletic. But regardless of whether or not you feel she’s “athletic,” I think we all agree that she’s an athlete, as she trains and competes at a high level in a physical performance-based sport.

On a side note, OF COURSE everyone’s hung up on her BF%. It seems that was the intent of the OP, to post a picture of an athlete with an obviously high BF% and stir some shit up.

Jonty gets it

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

I think the vast majority of people (myself included) use the term “athletic” to describe people who are relatively lean (or not just a tub of lard) and capable of performing in a variety of sports to some degree, i.e. they can run, jump, have some level of strength, etc etc (this part of the definition probably varies from person to person). So, in that regard, is clean and jerking 120kg athletic? Not necessarily. Strong? Yes. Impressive? Absolutely. But not necessarily athletic. But regardless of whether or not you feel she’s “athletic,” I think we all agree that she’s an athlete, as she trains and competes at a high level in a physical performance-based sport.

On a side note, OF COURSE everyone’s hung up on her BF%. It seems that was the intent of the OP, to post a picture of an athlete with an obviously high BF% and stir some shit up. [/quote]

You don’t think clean and jerking is athletic? LOL…how many times have you clean and jerked if I may ask and what was your max?

[quote]Koing wrote:
Lets see videos of you C&J 120g…yeah thought not.

Koing[/quote]

i don’t know for sure, but i think i could clean and jerk 120g. /messing with you

[quote]Enigman wrote:

Sexy indeed. But I shiver when I see her knees buckling in like that…

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
TheJonty wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

On a side note, OF COURSE everyone’s hung up on her BF%. It seems that was the intent of the OP, to post a picture of an athlete with an obviously high BF% and stir some shit up.

You don’t think clean and jerking is athletic? LOL…how many times have you clean and jerked if I may ask and what was your max?
[/quote]

sigh

While clean and jerking requires a number of athletic (for lack of a better word) attributes such as flexibility and explosive strength among others, no, I don’t think the singular act of being able to perform a technically correct clean and jerk makes you “athletic,” insofar as most people seem to define the word. Do most people who train the classic o-lifts hard look athletic? Of course, generally with the exception of the superheavies. But really, I find the term “athletic” to be far too open for interpretation, and in my mind, it means dick. I prefer to class people as athletes or not, a definition which I’ve already gone into detail on earlier in this thread.

And it really shouldn’t matter, but as far as whether or not I’ve clean and jerked: Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

There you go. Since then I’ve hit a 145kg clean and jerk in training and a 143 in competition, progress has been pretty stagnant as of late, but I’m hoping to hit some PRs within the next few weeks/month or two.

The dicionary definition of athletic

1. physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports: an athletic child.
  2. of, like, or befitting an athlete.
  3. of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.
  4. for athletics: an athletic field.
  5. Psychology. (of a physical type) having a sturdy build or well-proportioned body structure. Compare asthenic (def. 2), pyknic (def. 1).

1: check
2: befitting of an athlete? Well she is carrying a higher bf% then the people’s definition here
3: check
4: n/a
5: she has big legs but also a bit stomach…

The thing with a definition is, it’s pretty useless unless people use the ‘same’ definition otherwise it makes no sense. You can’t have people call some arbitary word this, and others to agree it means something else.

So by your definition you woudln’t call a fat (+25% super heavy class) wrestler athletic?

She’s athletic but she could stand to lose 20-30kg?

Koing

PS some solid lifts!

The real question is-

What would you do if Jenna Bussard sat on your face and farted??? Would you be able to handle the intense rectal vapor permeating the delicate structure of your sinuses??? The horror of mass quantities of partially digested processed food items clogged up in there yearning to be free of the Bussard rectal cavity.

Another question to ponder-

How much of an athlete would you have to be to escape the smothering of such a gargantuan deriere???