Are Olympic Lifts Really That Complicated?

my view is, for athletes sticking with the less complicated forms of o-lifts like power/hang snatches power/hang cleans are very benifcial and dont need a coach but even while performing a power snatch when i dont do something right the lockout gets awkward overhead, so yes they are complicated but ppl can use them and their variations for general purposes with less coaching but if you wanted to compete in o lifting a coach would be very very helpful

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Invictica, Koing, and Pinto pretty much said it all. Thanks guys…

…anyway, what If I’m too arrogant to hire a coach? How do I deal with it? I personally don’t like some dude telling me what to do (especially with my training sessions!).[/quote]

Go to any big Olympic Weightlifting competition. You will soon realise how tiny the weights that you move are.

It says in your profile you’re 200lbs that puts you in the 94kgs category.

From a recent senior Europeans the results for 94kgs are:
http://www.ewf.sm/files/me_bucharest_94.pdf

You see that if you wanted to avoid coming last you’d have to get a 117kgs Snatch and a 156kgs clean and jerk. If you wanted to get a medal you need a 170kgs snatch and a 210 kgs clean and jerk. So unless you are lifting these weights already you could definitely benefit from a coach.

I don’t know why you would mind some guy telling you what to do if he was going to get you to lift more weight, especially if the guy had a proven track record as a coach. As it is you are probably reading stuff off of the internet or books, and getting indirect coaching from materials written by coaches. Wouldn’t you rather have a coach tell you what to do rather than a book or article written by a coach?

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
I am gonna call Troll on the op.[/quote]

Yeah I might agree.

OP post some videos or pics, your profile and account activity seem to point to being a troll.

[quote]wushu_1984 wrote:
Krollmonster wrote:
I am gonna call Troll on the op.

Yeah I might agree.

OP post some videos or pics, your profile and account activity seem to point to being a troll.[/quote]

The OP has actually called troll on himself and admitted that he gets quite chuffed making us all flap about OLing:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/do_you_really_need_a_coach_to_be_a_successful_olympic_weightlifter?pageNo=1#2940763

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Well, I guess I’ll be the first one to accomplish such feat. Kay then, I’ll accept your challenge. I’ll try to do it WITHOUT coaching…

Aside from all this argument and my arrogance, thank you so much for the help. Atleast I got an idea (even though I’m too arrogant to actually do it) about the best way of improving with the olympic lifts. Thanks to all who posted in my humble thread! You guys are awesome!

P.S. = Trolling is in my blood. I just can’t help it sometimes. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

So basically it’s up to us to ignore him till his sexual excitement recedes and he changes into a new pair of panties. Ideally they will have a little ribbon bow of civil discourse on the front and maybe some get-over-yourself flower print.

He could have been a cool dude, but as usual newbs at life get paid in fail.

-chris

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Invictica, Koing, and Pinto pretty much said it all. Thanks guys…

…anyway, what If I’m too arrogant to hire a coach? How do I deal with it? I personally don’t like some dude telling me what to do (especially with my training sessions!).[/quote]

Mate, just listen to ANYONE THAT HAS GOOD ADVICE.

Not all coaches are equal. Look at who they are coaching and what results their lifters have gotten. If he has good lifters that aren’t all busted up listen to the dude.

Koing