Are Nike SPARQs the New Frees?

I just got the sparq ones with the nike shox and love them they have a gap in the middle between the rubber on the shoe, makes it great when doing jumps, and the cushioning helps a lot with cutting, and sprints.

Why not just buy chucks? they do everything that frees and air edge’s do at a lower price. After weightlifting shoes or cons the only other shoe that’s worth buying is a track shoe. puma and addidas make good ones. you see them in any store, small shoes with thin soles and low tops. like chucks but without the full rubber sole. like these:

I always wonder why people try and buy general purpose training shoes other than chucks. and if you’re lifting only then go for the weightlifting shoes.

-chris

On top of that I know the plifters like the chucks and such. I use just construction boots to squat in, is that alright…I use these as my weightlifting shoes for squatting only. They are a very hard heel so it seems to work…any thoughts?

Other tan that Avocado I’m thinkin of gettin the track shoes.
I’m just lookin for something regular to train in…when not squatting in my boots, just looking for something to do my other lifts in (besides deadlifts i use wrestling shoes)…and just to do some circuit stuff for conditioning for muay thai class in a good pair of shoes.
Are those track shoes good to use everyday outdoor too? Thanks!

[quote]toughcasey wrote:
has anyone seen these 5 fingers shoes? apparently they are close as you can get to barefoot, but still very durable.

from the 5 fingers site:

"By stimulating the muscles of your lower legs and feet, you add strength, improve balance, and increase agility. "[/quote]

Yes, Vibram is the answer.

I’ve got a pair of Frees with Sparq insoles. They work pretty great as crosstrainers. Never lifted in them though. It appears Nike still makes 4-5 different kinds of training Frees. There’s just some cross branding between Frees and Sparq now.

I looked into the Sparqs but have not tried them.

I have had the trainers in years past and most recenlty the Edge Trainers.

They are by far my favorite shoe. I am a trainer and on my feet alot whether it is the weight room, ball court, or anywhere else. These shoes are really good.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
On top of that I know the plifters like the chucks and such. I use just construction boots to squat in, is that alright…I use these as my weightlifting shoes for squatting only. They are a very hard heel so it seems to work…any thoughts?

Other tan that Avocado I’m thinkin of gettin the track shoes.
I’m just lookin for something regular to train in…when not squatting in my boots, just looking for something to do my other lifts in (besides deadlifts i use wrestling shoes)…and just to do some circuit stuff for conditioning for muay thai class in a good pair of shoes.
Are those track shoes good to use everyday outdoor too? Thanks![/quote]

Shit dude, if you have wrestling shoes then that is all you need to train in. There isnt much you can’t do in wrestling boots except go for long distance runs. they will be better than the track shoes or the work boots.

Basically the only shoe you need to buy if you are not doing heavy heavy o-lifts in the converse chucktaylor. and they are only about 60 bucks. Likely less in the US. I wouldnt even consider any other shoe. I train all my clients in my chucks and love them. All my clients love wearing chucks (women like the colors). Statistically speaking they are a hit with the people, and tons of strong ass dude seem to get by with only chucks and no cool ass nike air super-power-puff sole jumptastic shoes.

Soft shoes are for soft men (or women).

-chris

Even the Chuck Lace ups are too ‘high end’ for me. We’ve got a cool enough community centre, that I can get in the rack/platform, kick off my $10 deck shoes, squat/dl in my socks, slip the shoes back on again, & go get more weight.

I would say sports athletes (not power lifters or body builders) prefer athletic shoes compared to a 1960’s version of an athletic shoe.

There is no lateral support in converse.

***I am not saying that powerlifting and such is not a sport. I think they keep scores at those event too.

Just that athetes training in multiple planes will side with Nikes…or other similar shoes.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
I would say sports athletes (not power lifters or body builders) prefer athletic shoes compared to a 1960’s version of an athletic shoe.

There is no lateral support in converse.

***I am not saying that powerlifting and such is not a sport. I think they keep scores at those event too.

Just that athetes training in multiple planes will side with Nikes…or other similar shoes.

[/quote]

hmmm… Just because its old doesn’t mean it’s not good, just like condoms and yogurt.

I’m thinking that you think there is some kind of difference between a converse flat-soled shoe and a nike curved padded sole shoe. the advertisments for nike will likely make you think that there is some kind of special technology in the shoe that provides “lateral support” and “shock absorption” or maybe even makes you jump higher.

Such is likely not the case sir. Most nikes are the same chunk of plastic pressed out of a machine and glued to some nylon, and maybe even leather, that the last nike was. With a chuck you get the same shit but without the bullshit and they hook you up with canvas which forms to fit your feet after a week.

there is no shoe technology sir. you want to be able to move quick in lateral planes? get cleats. you want lateral support for your feet? get stronger/more stable ankles. how do you do that? get shoes that let you ‘use’ the muscles in your foot better.

Let me know what kind of elf-made magic in nikes allows them to give you lateral support. After that sell it to every collegiate athlete who’s ever rolled his ankle jogging around in his “airs.”

you see lots of soccer players wearing “athleteic shoes?” nope. Cleats. lots of cushioning or shape to the soles of those cleats? nope. just flat with 1-2cm of arch support. How did the elves get the “lateral support” gear in there? Ill tell you. Japanese scientists micro-sized it, like the k-car.

-chris

I am not talking about moving lateraly on grass. I played football for 22 years and I understand that you don’t play in ‘house slippers’ (flat soled shoes).

You will NEVER find a football player wearing cleats made with cotton/canvas uppers. They are made out of leather or some other tough material. Why because they will tear ligaments and/or break/sprain bones. Try moving quickly or even playing basketball, football, or any other quick paced sport in chuck taylors. You will roll the living hell out of your ankle.

That being said, the majority of training I/my clients do is indoors and there is nothing functional about converse if you are working in multiple planes.

I am not sure about soccer or K-cars… not my thing but I know soccer players are not playing in C. Taylors and K-car drivers aren’t wearing them either.

Squat, DL, pClean all you want with them all you want but you will never have a better 10 yd. shuttle time in them or anything similar.

Also, everyone knows Elves wear Nikes and those mofos are quick, efficent, and get the job done everytime.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
I am not talking about moving lateraly on grass. I played football for 22 years and I understand that you don’t play in ‘house slippers’ (flat soled shoes).

You will NEVER find a football player wearing cleats made with cotton/canvas uppers. They are made out of leather or some other tough material. Why because they will tear ligaments and/or break/sprain bones. Try moving quickly or even playing basketball, football, or any other quick paced sport in chuck taylors. You will roll the living hell out of your ankle.

That being said, the majority of training I/my clients do is indoors and there is nothing functional about converse if you are working in multiple planes.

I am not sure about soccer or K-cars… not my thing but I know soccer players are not playing in C. Taylors and K-car drivers aren’t wearing them either.

Squat, DL, pClean all you want with them all you want but you will never have a better 10 yd. shuttle time in them or anything similar.

Also, everyone knows Elves wear Nikes and those mofos are quick, efficent, and get the job done everytime.

[/quote]

Well played sir.

The edge trainers dont look so bad, but I’m still not convinced that you’ll roll your feet less in those than in chucks while moving laterally. Is it just the upper structure of the shoe that you are saying provides protection from rolling? the way it connects to the sole or something?

the air filled heel on the edges just looks very soft and as though it would limit ones ability to feel the ground and respond quickly. if it perches your heel up high I would say that it might increase the risk of your foot going over the side. That is the reason i mention cleats, they have very little padding through the soles and not much heel besides some small arch support. the canvas uppers on chucks might not be optimal for indoor multi-plane movement but I do not see how the edge’s are any better. Is that soft running-shoe-like upper really worth more to the ankle than the canvas on chucks? And is it really worth the extra cash you’d pay for a nike? chucks roll in at about $30 USD. If im paying more than $100 USD I’ll just get a wrestling shoe or proper track shoe. the main reason people pick chucks is that when they get trashed who cares? you’re out $40 at most. but when your nikes get fucked, you gotta shell out the cash to cop a new pair. converse is the peoples shoe.

The free’s, even if they fit really narrow, are at least as low to the ground as ive seen any running like shoe. Their heel doesn’t seem to have much puff and fluff to it in my experience. and they only cost about $60 or $70.

Maybe there is something to the edge’s that i’m not privy to. Ill have to find a pair to try on at a store.

they are better than free’s you say?

I think we are all missing out on these shoes in the picture though. Not only would you be 6 inches taller but imagine the looks people would give your footprints in the dirt or snow.

-chris