T Nation

Are My Supplements Enough?

Currently I am taking TRIBEX with ZMA and Glutamine before my workouts and Gold Standard Protein after. I feel that its already quite effective. Just wondering whether or not its good enough or if I should add BCAA, Beta-Alanine, etc etc. I’m cant really afford everything so wondering whether or not anyone knows anything that will significantly help and whether or not what im doin is any good

By nature, most supplements are just icing on the cake, so in theory no one actually “needs” them.

What you’re currently doing should be good for a relative newbie to supplements. I’d probably add Flameout, however. I’m also not a fan of ON proteins, but keep using what you have at least until it’s finished.

Since you haven’t mentioned it, we have no idea what you’re eating. This is more important than your supplementation when it comes to reaching your goals.

Just my opinion, as someone who has been lifting seriously for about 10 years. Take it for what its worth…

“FOOD is king”. God, how I used to cringe as an 18 year old when “old timers” would tell me that. I figured they were stuck in the first half of the 1900’s, adhering to the practices of John Grimek, Steve Reeves, etc. YAWN. So, I ignored them and went straight to GNC. Looking back at where my money went…pyruvate, vanadyl sulfate, boron, orchic acid, chrysin, andro this, nandro that…you get the idea. Lots of obnoxious neon bottles with intentional spelling errors added to look “hardcore”…"_____pak", “cutz”, etc.

ALL CRAP.

Sorry for the rant. Really though, if you are on a tight budget you need to be prioritizing the basics…meats/nuts/grains/produce. These are the best “supplements” you can buy. I finally understand this now, at 28 years old.

That said, the supplement industry HAS improved in certain areas (and, unfortunately, greatly deteriorated in others).

Creatine is the most groundbreaking discovery the supplement industry has ever seen. You should be taking this. It has become very affordable and is, without a doubt, the best “bang for your buck” supplement you’re going to get.

After this, I would recommend a good fish oil with a high DHA/EPA ratio. Biotest makes an excellent one, as do a lot of other companies. I won’t go into the myriad benefits of this…just search through this site, or pubmed.

After these two basics, we’re getting into “luxury” waters. TRIBEX can be somewhat helpful if you’re older or have low testosterone levels. If you’re young, you probably won’t see all that much from it.

BCAA can be very expensive. You do need to take a substantial dose of it to get an effect, and even when buying bulk powder this adds up. Some people swear by it, though, during cutting phases. A lot of coaches (besides the ones on this site) are currently using it at very high doses with their athletes during training.

Anyway, that’s my boring answer. In descending order of importance, a.)FOOD, b.) Creatine/Fish oil, c.) whatever else your budget allows.

I have a pretty decent food intake. I’d guess about 1-2 pounds of meat, usually beef or pork (whatevers available)and lots of rice. Vegetables are hard to come by for me but I usually shove lettuce, spinach, broccoli whenever I can. Drink a helluva lot of oj since ive become lactose intolerant.

Doesn’t creatine make you gain water weight?

Btw can you post any of the good forums on fish oil? I’ve always thought of it as something old people took until my roommate showed me that was all he took

I forgot to mention I usually have a bunch of tea, oolong which in my opinion is > green tea and american ginseng (all real, not that teabag or poweder bullcrap)

a quality fish oil supplement is more important than all of the stuff you currently take combined because you see noticable health improvements throughout your entire body, not just in muscle growth

[quote]NotoriousVIC wrote:

Doesn’t creatine make you gain water weight?

[/quote]

I finished loading some creatine last saturday. I’m dieting and I figured it would help preserve muscle. I woke up Sunday and realized I was about 6 lbs heavier. It also added about 20 lbs to my squat, which still is pretty small but I didn’t think I would be adding any weight to the bar while cutting.

adding to what im askin about creatine (with the bloating) has anybodied tried MRI’s CE2?

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Creatine is very affordable and is, without a doubt, the best “bang for your buck” supplement you’re going to get.

Biotest makes an excellent a good fish oil with a high DHA/EPA ratio, as do a lot of other companies. I won’t go into the myriad benefits of this…just search through this site, or pubmed.

After these two basics, we’re getting into “luxury” waters.
[/quote]

QFT.

[quote]NotoriousVIC wrote:
adding to what im askin about creatine (with the bloating) has anybodied tried some crazy shit that probably doesn’t even work?[/quote]

I honestly try not to. Didn’t you just read Pimpbot’s post?