T Nation

Are My SS Weights OK?

Starting SS tomorrow 15 YO, 80 kg
Are these weights adequate for the beginning in relation to my 1 rms?

Squat 1 rm - 85 kg
Starting weight - 42 kg

Bench 1 rm - 81.5 kg
Starting weight - 39.5 kg

Dead lift - ~ 100 kg ( Have previously done 90 kg, definitely could’ve done a good bit more )
Starting weight - 47 kg

The weights are in weird numbers as my bar is 7 kg :S
(Don’t have space for an 7 ft Olympic bar - also only have 1" plates D

It honestly doesn’t matter; starting strength is exactly for people who can’t put up a lot of wieght/haven’t lifted before. You could start at 1/2 that weight and it’d be OK.

On SS you’re better off starting light anyway since you are going to increase weight pretty rapidly. Starting light will keep you from stalling early.

Yes, they’re fine.

Is the first workout meant to be very easy?
How much should I add for the first few workouts?

Sorry, I’m a newbie :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]j0hn117 wrote:
Is the first workout meant to be very easy?
How much should I add for the first few workouts?

Sorry, I’m a newbie :p[/quote]

Yes, the first few workouts should feel REALLY easy. every time you manage to get all five reps for all sets, add 5lbs the next time you do the exercise - but add 10 lbs to the deadlift each time. This means that you will effectively add 15 to your squat and deadlift and 7.5 to your presses and cleans each week.

Always better to start too low than too high. If you start too high, you can stall out too soon, or not develop proper form and ending up hurting yourself.

I am on similar program as well. Slow and steady progress is best, get the form down and master the lifts. With slowly increasing weights over time you will be getting to the stage where you will be doing new PRs every week. That is a much better feeling than putting loads of extra weight on, doing couple of crappy reps and getting injured. Remember your body has to grow and repair itself outside of training, small increases and sensible lifting( even more so for a beginner, I’m one as well) helps your body keep up with your training making you stronger in the long run

As I have a athletics competition 1 and a half months earlier than I thought, I increased the weights so that they were heavy, but on the squat, I have now realised that my legs are a lot stronger than the weight suggests (I.e I feel 70 kg as very heavy and I think my max is near that but they can do quite a bit more…)
Did 4 x 200 lbs on squats today as a test! (Only 200 lbs fit on the bar) Progress!

P.s I have slowed down the increase in the weight per week - I will be deloading in about 2 weeks.

[quote]j0hn117 wrote:
As I have a athletics competition 1 and a half months earlier than I thought, I increased the weights so that they were heavy, but on the squat, I have now realised that my legs are a lot stronger than the weight suggests (I.e I feel 70 kg as very heavy and I think my max is near that but they can do quite a bit more…)
Did 4 x 200 lbs on squats today as a test! (Only 200 lbs fit on the bar) Progress!

P.s I have slowed down the increase in the weight per week - I will be deloading in about 2 weeks.[/quote]

Lower the weights again. NOW. The logic behind this is flawed. Just follow them program to the letter and don’t try to be clever.

Yeah I was an idiot here trying to go too quickly before I was ready. My squats were not to depth and had bad tech (hurt my back), plus I didn’t touch the bar to my chest in bench.
Stats as of this week are:
Squat: 130x5
Bench: 90x8/100x4/105x3
Deadlift: 142.5x4(few months ago, not max)
OHP:60x4
Could be a good bit stronger than I am as I have had to do front squats since october, and have for the first time only started properly doing back squats 3 weeks ago after my injury a few months after this thread was made, followed by a long hiatus when I could’ve trained, but didn’t as it was competition season.

Strong necro post but this is a word of warning to beginners… work on form and technique and disregard ego! Nothing will wreck you more quickly or efficiently than your own ego. Just my 2 cents from my experiences so far.

[quote]j0hn117 wrote:
Nothing will wreck you more quickly or efficiently than your own ego.[/quote]
I’d say 90% of lifters realize this… eventually. Focus on the fact that you learned it already, and can move forward accordingly.

It really sucks that you had an injury so young that put you out for so long, but use that as fuel to stay smart from here on out.

What’s your training currently look like?