T Nation

Are My Goals Realistic?

I invite you to jump over to my newly-created training log “The End of Skinny-Fatness” and let me know if the goals I have outlined are realistic and if the plan I have in place makes sense. Thanks.

There are a few important things missing in your plan. First off, you can’t squat. Second, you can’t deadlift. I realize that you’ve substituted lunges and stepups for squats and romanian deadlifts for deadlifts. The lunges and stepups may work, but the romanian dl seems like a poor substitute. You should totally address the injury/mobility issue. Get to where you can squat and dl.

Everything else looks okay, and you could probably meet your bodyweight goal in 6 months. How will you meet your dl and squat goals if you’re not doing either?

Great question, I was wondering the same.

BRex, how tall are you?

Also, please give more details on your back injury and rehab. You say you are at 95% recovery which seems close enough to 100% to me. I am interested in what the diagnosis was and how you rehabbed it.

[quote]palindrome wrote:
There are a few important things missing in your plan. First off, you can’t squat. Second, you can’t deadlift. I realize that you’ve substituted lunges and stepups for squats and romanian deadlifts for deadlifts. The lunges and stepups may work, but the romanian dl seems like a poor substitute. You should totally address the injury/mobility issue. Get to where you can squat and dl.

Everything else looks okay, and you could probably meet your bodyweight goal in 6 months. How will you meet your dl and squat goals if you’re not doing either?[/quote]

I’m the hoping the injury rehab/mobility work I’m doing will give me the stability and range of motion I need to start squatting and DL’ing soon.

[quote]tiburontiburon wrote:

Great question, I was wondering the same.

BRex, how tall are you?[/quote]

5’10"

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Also, please give more details on your back injury and rehab. You say you are at 95% recovery which seems close enough to 100% to me. I am interested in what the diagnosis was and how you rehabbed it. [/quote]

The doc called it a “mechanical back injury”, meaning it’s not a herniated disc or pinched nerve. Just a really bad muscle pull.

The injury happened back in August. Essentially what happened was my body was extremely fatigued (I was in the middle of a marathon training plan). I had tweaked my back deadlifting with bad form on the Tuesday. Thursday morning went out for a blazing fast hour run, felt great. Came home, showered, bent over to put on my socks and BAM. Back locks up, I get wheeled into the ER, on prescription pain meds for 5 days.

After the pain subsided I started getting Active Release Technique done on my back 2-3 times per week. The massage therapist also gave me a rehab program to do at home, which I am still doing to this day. My treatment with him ended just before Christmas. It’s up to me to rehab the last 5% or so of my injury. If things stop improving I am told to go back and get some ART done.