T Nation

Are My Fat Loss Goals Realistic?

Hi, I’m a female athlete.

I would love to drop( I don’t remember picking it up) some body fat.

For the first month I’d love to get rid of 8% of my body fat.

At the moment I’m at 29% weighing 76kg and 168 cm.Age 29.
My resting heart rate is 58 bpm and max is around 195.

Am I overly ambitious dropping 14lb of body fat in a month?

Thank you.

PS: I know, my question is little stupid. Bear with me.

That does sound a little ambitious. Typically, 1-2 lbs a week is good, so twice that seems a little extreme.

How long have you been training for?

[quote]JuicyLucy wrote:

Thank you.

PS: I know, my question is little stupid. Bear with me.[/quote]

Dropping 14 pounds in a month isn’t impossible, most of it will just be water weight, which I guess will look like fat loss depending on your body. I lost 18 pounds in a week this week just cutting out carbs for a few days, plus being in the tropics and sweating my ass off.

Why only a month?

Your better off (read more likely to keep the weight off) if you make a life style change, rather than “crash” the weight off.

But like Chim said, it might be all water wieght, and I doubt your going to feel too good for whatever event your losing the weight for starved and dehydrated.

[quote]Otep wrote:
That does sound a little ambitious. Typically, 1-2 lbs a week is good, so twice that seems a little extreme.

How long have you been training for?[/quote]

In the ebook Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle Tom Venuto states that loosing 1-2% of body FAT(not water weight) is “normal” if you do it “right”.

I have been training for 3-4 years. I am a professional tennis player.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
JuicyLucy wrote:

Thank you.

PS: I know, my question is little stupid. Bear with me.

Dropping 14 pounds in a month isn’t impossible, most of it will just be water weight, which I guess will look like fat loss depending on your body. I lost 18 pounds in a week this week just cutting out carbs for a few days, plus being in the tropics and sweating my ass off.[/quote]

How do you know you’ve lost “only” water weight? Have you got calipers, mirror? Isn’t loosing fat just making the fat cells smaller? Well, by sweating your butts of you’ll make them smaller…

It’s not only water weight(at least I hope not), but I’m sure most of it was as I don’t think I could’ve lost 18 pounds that quickly.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Why only a month?

Your better off (read more likely to keep the weight off) if you make a life style change, rather than “crash” the weight off.

But like Chim said, it might be all water wieght, and I doubt your going to feel too good for whatever event your losing the weight for starved and dehydrated.

[/quote]

I like making monthly goals it doesn’t mean that I’ll stop after a month :wink:

I am interested in losing fat(mirror and measurements) then weight.

Thank you.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
It’s not only water weight(at least I hope not), but I’m sure most of it was as I don’t think I could’ve lost 18 pounds that quickly. [/quote]

I mean 18 pounds is pretty extreme IMO. Have you got calipers or something? What did the mirror say ;)?

Ah. I did look much better: less bloated, with top two abs showing. I just came off a bulk and was on the plane for 20 hours so I had lots of carbs which would have lead to water retention. That’s not the first time something like that’s happened to me though. My weight fluctuates a great deal.

Ah. I did look much better: less bloated, with top two abs showing. I just came off a bulk and was on the plane for 20 hours so I had lots of carbs which would have lead to water retention. That’s not the first time something like that’s happened to me though. My weight fluctuates a great deal.

[quote]JuicyLucy wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Why only a month?

Thank you.

[/quote]

Well then… Like Otep said, it is ambitious, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if you lost 14lbs in 4 weeks. (Whether it will be all body fat is another question.)

I wouldn’t want to try and burn that much weight, that fast, but if your comfortable with it get to it.

I’m curious what your approach is going to be…

I am glad you’ve asked, countingbeans.

So I’m going to put all my beans on the table. Let’s count them together.

Any and all feedback is welcome:)

Lets look at what burns the most calories IMO:

• heavy lifting, 3 times a week, nice compound lifts
  • high intensity cardio, I divide it into high, medium,low and no impact, at least 6 times a week, being 45 min minimum

Hmm… the only challenge is over training. I want to keep going the whole month, to see the results. This is were recovery comes into my mind.

• stretching (static and active ) lots of it
  • good warm up, very important, you can burn lots of calories just doing that :wink:
  • massages, at least once every two weeks, preferably every week
  • sleep, can’t get enough of it
    -meditation, relaxation, visualizing my goals. This is the KEY!!
  • water, lot of it

Food consumption:
This is little tricky. I’m protein type metabolism( =high protein,high fat, low carbs). Fruits, processed grains,sugar and starchy anything makes me put on fat.
But I don’t want to be eating a lot of animal protein. I like the idea of raw food. Now you can laugh…
So what am I going to be eating to support my goal???
Can I do it eating huge salads, nuts, whole seeds? In THEORY yes.
No supplements at this point I’m going down to 20% body fat not an 8% or something.

This is all I can think of right now.

… to be continued

Thank you for your time.

JuicyLucy wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Why only a month?

Thank you.

Well then… Like Otep said, it is ambitious, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if you lost 14lbs in 4 weeks. (Whether it will be all body fat is another question.)

I wouldn’t want to try and burn that much weight, that fast, but if your comfortable with it get to it.

I’m curious what your approach is going to be…
[/quote]

What about losing 10 mm of my 20 mm skin fold measurement? If I can do that would it be considered “water weight”?

thanks.

[quote]JuicyLucy wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
(Whether it will be all body fat is another question.)

What about losing 10 mm of my 20 mm skin fold measurement? If I can do that would it be considered “water weight”?

thanks.[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of you’ll lose lean mass too because i assumed the following:

1. You’ll be doing a ton of cardio
  2. eating well below maintenance

[quote]JuicyLucy wrote:

Hmm… the only challenge is over training. I want to keep going the whole month, to see the results. This is were recovery comes into my mind.

But I don’t want to be eating a lot of animal protein. I like the idea of raw food. Now you can laugh…
So what am I going to be eating to support my goal???
Can I do it eating huge salads, nuts, whole seeds? In THEORY yes.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about over training. Your a professional athlete yes? You should be able to realize when you need to back off a touch or eat a bit more as you go. I think your recovery plan is okay, but your food might not be.

The thought of how much salad, nuts & seeds I would have to eat to keep up that training makes my head spin. I’ll try not to gripe on the lack of animal consumption, because it’s your choice, but your going to need to supplement some missing nutrients in that diet. (Not to mention fish oil and a mulit vitamin aren’t even supplements, they are life necessities.)

I’m all for cutting all non-vegetable carbs, but your going to need to eat some meat & eggs IMO. And with the amount of work your planning on, it shouldn’t interfere with your goals.

Just my .02

Just my .02[/quote]

I appreciate your 2 cents.

I hope to know myself well enough, as you said, ease of or eat a little more.

I don’t know what I’ll be doing about the food yet.

thanks.

O.K. I’d like to use this thread to blog my 31 day fat loss journey. So I can get feed back from all wise, experienced members on T-Nation.

I’ll be back tomorrow with measurements.

PS: I wasn’t sure about my food consumption and now I am.
I’ll be doing a mix of Elimination Diet and Eat-stop-eat Diet. More details here:

Day 1:

Measurements:

168cm, 75.5 Kg, 29 years … now you’ve got me in a box :wink:

Chest: 95 cm
Below Chest: 80 cm
Waist(widest): 91 cm
Hips: 96 cm
R Thigh: 61 cm
L Thigh: 60 cm
R Calf: 40 cm
L Calf: 40 cm
Caliper: 20 mm

Food Consumption

I’m following the Elimination Diet where I would be eating more raw food, with some organic eggs,organic poultry and fish.

The link is here: http://www.daxmoy-pts.co.uk/elimination.pdf

Water: 3.5 liters min.

Day 1:
12:30 p.m.
3 eggs, 12g olive oil, salad

4 p.m.
1/2 cup brasil nuts, apple

6 p.m.
1/4 cup pistachios, banana

7.30 p.m.
mandarine, few brasil nuts

9 p.m.