Are Microwaves Bad?

Ok… I’m not sure and that is the reason why I am asking
A while ago I was at work and a co-worker was saying something about how microwaves kill the enzymes or something in food… so you’re basically eating empty calories… well last night I decided to look it up quickly and found a WHOLE bunch of shenanigans of what microwaves do to your food…

I don’t have all the time in the world to heat stuff up on the stove with a pot… with my day job and all
So it basically boils down to, “is it ok for me to use a microwave? What are the long term affects if I continue to use it to heat up my food?”

Yeah, microwaves are bad. Tuna will kill you. Plastics will kill you. Peanut butter has some crazy shit in it that isn’t good for you. Oatmeal is now the devil. Shit, what else, oh yeah don’t use a cell phone too much or you’ll get brain cancer.

Joking aside, microwaves will not make you eat empty calories.
Just about everything that we use for convenience is probably not the best for us. You just got to decide where you’re wiling to make some sacrifices for your health that may or may not effect you.

Just don’t use plastic in the microwave LOL

[quote]

Just don’t use plastic in the microwave LOL[/quote]

You mean just don’t mix tuna and peanut butter in a plastic cup for your oatmeal sidedish before putting it in the mw and overheat it because you were phoning from you cell?

[quote]Balboa-Man wrote:

Just don’t use plastic in the microwave LOL

You mean just don’t mix tuna and peanut butter in a plastic cup for your oatmeal sidedish before putting it in the mw and overheat it because you were phoning from you cell?[/quote]

actually, that combo is fine. they all cancel each other

[quote]Suave323 wrote:
What are the long term affects if I continue to use it to heat up my food? [/quote]

Well, eventually you’ll start glowing in the dark.

Actually, I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ve read that some vegetables actually lose more of their nutrients when steamed than when microwaved. But, like JF said avoid microwaving food in plastic containers, since some plastics release some bad chemicals (xenoestrogens & various carcinogens) when heated.

[quote]Suave323 wrote:
a co-worker was saying something about how microwaves kill the enzymes or something in food… so you’re basically eating empty calories…[/quote]
Aren’t co-workers great? They’re always all smart 'n stuff.

Technically, microwaves don’t do much to the food other than heating it. It’s how microwaves effect plastic products, that then leech into the food that can be a problem.

Yes, it’s okay. Whenever you remember, try not to heat things in plastic containers or covered in plastic wrap.

You will enjoy hot food, but you’ll burn your tongue once in a while.

Bottom line is that, while xenoestrogens might be a potential “danger” when microwaving, and it’s something you might want to keep an eye on, it’s not super-high on the list of “reasons I’m not as jacked, cut, and/or strong as I wanna be.”

But I will say it’s another good reason to take Rez-V daily. Anti-Estrogen insurance. :wink:

Wow thanks for the responses guys I really appreciate that. I’ve just quite recently decided to eat a lot throughout the day to gain weight… I work in a warehouse and I am not allowed/don’t have time to snack all day so whenever I get a break I will heat up some food i brought from home, etc.

As well as at home… I’ll heat it up in the microwave when I am pressed for time
But thanks again guys I really appreciate your help :slight_smile:

I had food re-heated in a microwave once. Instantly broke out in hives and had explosive diarrhea.

Worst three weeks of my life.

you all forgot about non-stick cooking surfaces…

bad scene

[quote]ctschneider wrote:
Suave323 wrote:
What are the long term affects if I continue to use it to heat up my food?

Well, eventually you’ll start glowing in the dark.
[/quote]

My boogers came out when I read this…lol

Microwaving is the preferable method to cook veggies as they will retain the most nutrients.