Are Liberals Allowed Racist Attacks?

Does it matter more that it’s a liberal holding the views, or that the attacks are made on a conservative black?

Maureen Dowd’s column here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/opinion/07dowd.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Frank Rich’s column here:

No, it’s ok then.

I’m confused. They criticize a black figure so they’re being racist?

Did they imply black people are such-and-such as a whole? Wanna quote? I didn’t quite catch it.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Does it matter more that it’s a liberal holding the views, or that the attacks are made on a conservative black?

Maureen Dowd’s column here: Opinion | I Did Do It - The New York Times

[/quote]

Uhmm??
These aren’t racist attacks.

[quote]100meters wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:

Maureen Dowd’s column here: Opinion | I Did Do It - The New York Times

Uhmm??
These aren’t racist attacks.[/quote]

So, Dowd’s “caricature” of Thomas isn’t racist? The whole thing is ridiculous. Duly noted that one can now joke about a well educated black man “carjacking” the Presidency and not be racist - not even a little bit. He’s not “qualified” for the USSC as a Yale graduate based on what, exactly?

Frank Rich, perhaps, isn’t racist so much as so stupidly ignorant as to be beyond the pale: The Right Coast

ADDENDUM: Let me put it this way: What would your reaction be to someone who wrote that Barrack Obama was trying to carjack the Democratic nomination?

Woah, that’s some pretty nasty venom there. Especially all the snide comments implying Thomas is an ungrateful black man.

In short, “Hey blacks, if you aren’t pulling for the Democrats, you’re an ungrateful black bastard. And I’ll rip you a new one for not being black enough, and thinking outside of the approved black political box. How dare you hold conservative views. You’re all (blacks) supposed to think alike!” Dowd’s piece is ugly stuff.

And don’t even try to pretend she wasn’t thinking along those lines. She might as well have called him Uncle Tom and shortened up the article by a large margin. Note his political views piss her off. And then, in the same article, she’s painting him as some traitor to his race…yeah…

The double standards go beyond racism.

What if any of the republican candidates stumped in churches? It would be religious fanaticism. But Obama, Hillary, et al can set up an office in churches and it is just peachy keen.

It’s not the message that makes one a racist, or religious fanatic - it is the messenger.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Woah, that’s some pretty nasty venom there. Especially all the snide comments implying Thomas is an ungrateful black man.

In short, “Hey blacks, if you aren’t pulling for the Democrats, you’re an ungrateful black bastard. And I’ll rip you a new one for not being black enough, and thinking outside of the approved black political box. How dare you hold conservative views. You’re all (blacks) supposed to think alike!” Dowd’s piece is ugly stuff.

And don’t even try to pretend she wasn’t thinking along those lines. She might as well have called him Uncle Tom and shortened up the article by a large margin. Note his political views piss her off. And then, in the same article, she’s painting him as some traitor to his race…yeah…
[/quote]

Wanna pull some quotes. I read both articles and totally missed the racism.

The Republicans are so happy they have a few black people supporting them.

Because now they can claim anybody who doesn’t agree with these few black people is a racist.

Who would be able to resist such a golden opportunity?