T Nation

Are Hard Cheeses Better?

I am reading a Nutrition book and have also read on this site that “hard cheeses” are better.

However I am not sure how or why they are better, anybody have an idea? thanks

Goat cheese is a soft cheese and it’s basically awesome. So, no.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Goat cheese is a soft cheese and it’s basically awesome. So, no. [/quote]

Damn I can’t stand the taste of anything goat related.

My 3 favourite cheeses are havarti, feta & mozarella.

Hard cheeses are aged, oxidized and rancid… Unless I am wrong.

That is my impression of them anyway. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I was guessing maybe something to do with fat content?

The book I am reading is by Frank Zane. The poster who made the comment relating to “hard cheeses are better” is PGA I think.

[quote]rsg wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

My 3 favourite cheeses are havarti, feta & mozarella.[/quote]

Isn’t feta usually made from goat’s milk?

Havarti is some good stuff!

[quote]Rykker wrote:
rsg wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

My 3 favourite cheeses are havarti, feta & mozarella.

Isn’t feta usually made from goat’s milk?

Havarti is some good stuff! [/quote]

Yeah it taste like shit, lol. I prefer the cows milk one - especially in meals such as Berardi’s Greek Burger.

You know I have never tried Havarti before…whats it taste like? I love Brie…man Brie on top of apple slices is heaven!

[quote]Pugsley wrote:
I love Brie…man Brie on top of apple slices is heaven![/quote]

You’re kidding, right?

dude it is fantastic…not super healthy though…the tanginess and sharpness of the brie and the sweetness of an apple…also texture differences make it fantastic…very good…try it once and you may never go back!

Havarti is just a yellow cheese that is quite mild, and has small holes in it - kind of between a cheddar and edam.

I don’t know the answer to the question but I love fresh mozzarella on top of tomato with some olive oil and a nice aged balsamic vinegar. Fresh mozzarella is not aged and has a very mild flavor. The sweet tomato and the tart balsamic vinegar go together with the cheese prefectly. I eat this as a snack between main meals. It’s delicious.

[quote]AmandaSC wrote:
I don’t know the answer to the question but I love fresh mozzarella on top of tomato with some olive oil and a nice aged balsamic vinegar. Fresh mozzarella is not aged and has a very mild flavor. The sweet tomato and the tart balsamic vinegar go together with the cheese prefectly. I eat this as a snack between main meals. It’s delicious. [/quote]

Agree - my ex Italian flatmate used to eat that exact dish and it’s really good.

[quote]AmandaSC wrote:
I don’t know the answer to the question but I love fresh mozzarella on top of tomato with some olive oil and a nice aged balsamic vinegar. Fresh mozzarella is not aged and has a very mild flavor. The sweet tomato and the tart balsamic vinegar go together with the cheese prefectly. I eat this as a snack between main meals. It’s delicious. [/quote]

Have you tried that with fresh basil? Brings it to a whole other (higher) level…

Or fresh Mint.
Regards,
crosdaddy

[quote]AmandaSC wrote:

It sure is. Coming from an Italian family, Bruschetta was basically a staple at home.

[quote]rsg wrote:
AmandaSC wrote:
I don’t know the answer to the question but I love fresh mozzarella on top of tomato with some olive oil and a nice aged balsamic vinegar. Fresh mozzarella is not aged and has a very mild flavor. The sweet tomato and the tart balsamic vinegar go together with the cheese prefectly. I eat this as a snack between main meals. It’s delicious.

Agree - my ex Italian flatmate used to eat that exact dish and it’s really good.[/quote]

He used to be Italian?! That’s crazy!

Ha I am just messin’ with you man. This does sound good.

[quote]CJK wrote:
rsg wrote:
AmandaSC wrote:

Agree - my ex Italian flatmate used to eat that exact dish and it’s really good.

He used to be Italian?! That’s crazy! [/quote]

How so? Italy is not one of those countries where you can’t renounce citizenship.

http://www.italiamerica.org/id71.htm

OP, hard cheese is often preferred over the soft varieties because the latter has a propensity to be contaminated by listeria - you guessed it, a bacteria. That’s all folks!

Harder cheeses have less water (duh) and hence tend to be stronger in flavor. Since you use less for the same taste you’re getting fewer calories and saturated fats per serving.

[quote]CJK wrote:
rsg wrote:
AmandaSC wrote:

He used to be Italian?! That’s crazy!

Ha I am just messin’ with you man. This does sound good.[/quote]

Smartass! :slight_smile: