T Nation

Are Fish Oil Supplements Necessary?

Should you still supplement fish oils if you get enough fat in your diet already?

Yes, as fish oil provides a specific type of fat, namely omega-3 fatty acids, which are must likely deficient from your diet. That is, unless you are eating copious quantities of wild seafood which naturally contains high amounts of omega-3.

Again, there are many types of fats, and fish oil provides fat which is most often lacking from one’s diet.

Yep.

Yes.

I take 4 Flameout a day regardless of my food and fish intake.

[quote]starpuck77 wrote:
Should you still supplement fish oils if you get enough fat in your diet already?[/quote]

Yes.

sí

well, define necessary?

if you eat a diet rich in salmon and other high omega-3 sources, no you don’t NEED them. But, they will be of great benefit.

then again, how many people eat a diet high in omega-3’s? probably not very many.

now if you have some health conditions where really high dosages are needed, then yeah, you’re probably not going to be able to eat enough salmon and the like.

bottom line, I think the vast majority of people would benefit from supplementation.

If you are a brown bear living on the Kamchatka Pennisula then no. Your consumption is more then adequate. If this isn’t the case then you should definitely supplement with a quality product like Flameout.

D

yesh

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
If you are a brown bear living on the Kamchatka Pennisula then no. Your consumption is more then adequate. If this isn’t the case then you should definitely supplement with a quality product like Flameout.

D[/quote]

that’s fine and dandy… but, what if you’re a polar bear?

They eat fish too right? They must be ok then.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
well, define necessary?

if you eat a diet rich in salmon and other high omega-3 sources, no you don’t NEED them. But, they will be of great benefit.[/quote]

By rich in Salmon you mean – how many servings? I have salmon 2-3 times a week, one of my favourite foods.

Also, does a simple omega-3 pill work?