T Nation

Are Fat Burners Worth It?

Are they something that I would have to continue to take once I was cut, or is it something I could stop taking at anytime? I want to get rid of this excess fat on me. I appreciate any assistance. Peace.

[quote]PantherFB87 wrote:
Are they something that I would have to continue to take once I was cut, or is it something I could stop taking at anytime? I want to get rid of this excess fat on me. I appreciate any assistance. Peace.[/quote]

Diet, diet, and diet… there is no magic pill.

I’m not convicned that so-called fat burners work any better than a shot of expresso a few times a day (and I mean straight espresso, not grande mocha butterscotch cappuccinos with whipped cream).

And that is less effective than just lots of cardio and limited carbs.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
PantherFB87 wrote:
Are they something that I would have to continue to take once I was cut, or is it something I could stop taking at anytime? I want to get rid of this excess fat on me. I appreciate any assistance. Peace.

Diet, diet, and diet… there is no magic pill.[/quote]

Except really good fat burners.

But a solid diet will help keep the fat off once you cut and would make the whole process a lot less painful.

P.S prepare to have your hogs whipped Friday.

[quote]PantherFB87 wrote:
Are they something that I would have to continue to take once I was cut, or is it something I could stop taking at anytime? I want to get rid of this excess fat on me. I appreciate any assistance. Peace.[/quote]

If you are covering your bases in regard to monitoring your caloric intake, making healthy food choices, and increasing your activity and the amounts of calories your are burning, a fat burner like HOT-ROX will increase the rate of calories and fat burned and lost overall.

They aren’t magic pills however, they are potent tools if used intelligently. As far as your question of having to use it indefinitely no, you don’t. If you reach a level of leanness you are happy with you can maintain that through eating healthy and remaining active. If you revert to old habits that got you overweight and overfat in the first place don’t be surprised when the fat comes back.

D

They are not worth it.

Unless you are trying to get into maybe contest shape–this would mean you are very lean trying to shed a little more bodyfat and maintain as much lean mass as possible.

This does not sound like your situation. Take the money and spend it on cottage cheese and almonds. Eat one cup of cottage cheese and a handful of almonds before bed each night.

if you are making progress on your diet and training alone, then the addition of supplements such as HOT-ROX Extreme will increase the rate of fat loss greatly. if you cannot make progress, then i would not expect much in the way of results as you will most likely use the fat burner as an excuse for actions that prevent you from achieving your goals in the first place.

that said, most fat burners are just caffeine pills with a kitchen sink formula of underdosed poor quality fat burning extracts and no delivery system.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
They are not worth it.

Unless you are trying to get into maybe contest shape–this would mean you are very lean trying to shed a little more bodyfat and maintain as much lean mass as possible.

This does not sound like your situation. Take the money and spend it on cottage cheese and almonds. Eat one cup of cottage cheese and a handful of almonds before bed each night.[/quote]

I know it’s cool to be anti-supplement lately, but the statement above is silly.

For example, my mother lost significantly more weight (fat) when I had her combine diet, exercise, and HOT-ROX than she did on diet and exercise alone.

Of course, a supplement will not have a significant effect on most if they are not eating and exercising correctly to lose fat, but there’s no basis to suggest that fat-loss supplements are only worthwhile to those who are already relatively lean.

The thing about fat burners is they can go two ways- one way is that people who take them benefit from the placebo effect. They “feel” like they are working which turns into motivation to stay on their diet.

The other way is people expect them to do all the work so the slack off and fail. So if you’re the “placebo” type of guy- then go ahead. Whatever gives you motivation to stick with your plan. But if you are the lazy type, then I would avoid them.

They are the most beneficial when your diet is 100% on and your training is intense. But… if that’s the case you shouldn’t need a fat burner.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
They are not worth it.

This does not sound like your situation. Take the money and spend it on cottage cheese and almonds. Eat one cup of cottage cheese and a handful of almonds before bed each night.

I know it’s cool to be anti-supplement lately, but the statement above is silly.

For example, my mother lost significantly more weight (fat) when I had her combine diet, exercise, and HOT-ROX than she did on diet and exercise alone.

Of course, a supplement will not have a significant effect on most if they are not eating and exercising correctly to lose fat, but there’s no basis to suggest that fat-loss supplements are only worthwhile to those who are already relatively lean.[/quote]

I’m neither cool nor anti-supplement. But it doesn’t change my belief. If your diet is in order as well as your exercise you will become leaner than you are. A fat burner may speed that SLIGHTLY, but other than that I don’t see dropping 40-50 a month to save a few days.

By keeping your body fed and anabolic, you are helping your overall health much more than a fat burner will. You are building or maintaining muscle which will in turn burn more fat over the course of your life not just when you are taking pills.

And I’m happy for your mom, but that doesn’t make it so. Did you do the exact same thing for months and then only change the HOT-ROX parameter to make that statement? How did you quantify that information?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
The thing about fat burners is they can go two ways- one way is that people who take them benefit from the placebo effect. They “feel” like they are working which turns into motivation to stay on their diet.

The other way is people expect them to do all the work so the slack off and fail. So if you’re the “placebo” type of guy- then go ahead. Whatever gives you motivation to stick with your plan. But if you are the lazy type, then I would avoid them.

They are the most beneficial when your diet is 100% on and your training is intense. But… if that’s the case you shouldn’t need a fat burner.[/quote]

I think this is key. When people spend the money and finally kick it into gear. They focus on their training and especially their diet. Now they think that there was this great benefit from the pill. I’m not saying there is no benefit–I just don’t see a major one.

Unless, you are trying to shed that last bit. I know that may seem counter-intuitive, but that is my feeling.

It makes it so because it did happen.

She followed the same program each time. Her results were measured in tems of body composition. She lost approximately 3 times the fat over the same length of time while using HOT-ROX.

You make it appear as an either or situation when one can benefit from such a product while keeping the body fed and anabolic.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
They are not worth it.

Of course, a supplement will not have a significant effect on most if they are not eating and exercising correctly to lose fat, but there’s no basis to suggest that fat-loss supplements are only worthwhile to those who are already relatively lean.[/quote]

I agree with this 100%…

Everything else being equal I get leaner while taking a fat burner…for me this is a FACT.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
sasquatch wrote: Did you do the exact same thing for months and then only change the HOT-ROX parameter to make that statement? How did you quantify that information?

It makes it so because it did happen.

She followed the same program each time. Her results were measured in tems of body composition. She lost approximately 3 times the fat over the same length of time while using HOT-ROX.

You make it appear as an either or situation when one can benefit from such a product while keeping the body fed and anabolic.[/quote]

I never suggested either or. The original question was are they worth it. It is my opinion, in this case, from what was posted, no–they are not.

I also said when I feel they are most beneficial. I also said they work, but given the price tag, again for this poster given his situation I say NO, they are not worth it.

You are the one calling people out for their opinion, not me.

And you’ll never get me to believe that because of HOT-ROX or any other burner, given the same parameter, the fat loss was TRIPLED> No way. No how.

Quality fat burners (read: somehting other than caffiene and bullshit) work ok but are only “worth it” at lower levels of body fat.

Usually this is becasue you have the hardest time retaining muscle at lower levels and the anti catabolic effect of many ‘fat burners’ is well worth the price. BCAA too.

Also the results are more visible at lower levels and you will be happier to see them. When you are still ‘smooth’ the results are barely visible even if they are there. You will think they don’t work cause you didn’t go from corpulent sack to eliteballa.

Try start with veggie only carb and good ‘finishers’ like barbell complexes in your training. this will help more at high BF level. Training is the key to fat loss. sweat.

-chris

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Eat one cup of cottage cheese and a handful of almonds before bed each night.[/quote]

sasquatch:
Explain how this helps getting lean…Also, does not eating before bed invalidate taking ZMA and/or other (alleged) GH releasers? (The directions always require an “empty stomach”)…

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
Eat one cup of cottage cheese and a handful of almonds before bed each night.

sasquatch:
Explain how this helps getting lean…Also, does not eating before bed invalidate taking ZMA and/or other (alleged) GH releasers? (The directions always require an “empty stomach”)…
[/quote]

It doesn’t help get you lean, it helps in the process of building muscle. A by-product of which is lower body fat. Of course this is given the fact you are maintaing or e losing actual body weight–which is a logical assumption given the nature of the post.

And of course this muscle is more metabolic. So over the long haul you continue to be a better more efficient calorie burner.

Re: ZMA and cottage cheese. Here is what I do. About an hour before bed I’d take my ZMA. 30-45 minutes later I have a shake or cottage cheese with fish oil, olive oil or almonds.

I don’t know about GH releasers, but when I’m cutting especially, I take my glutamine with my ZMA and a glass of water. I believe in the stuff and take it after my workout and before bed to take advantage of a potent GH releasing time frame.

Also, Cottage cheese before bed (when accounted for in your calorie intake) will help the “nighttime blues” from occuring. I know it isnt a ton of protein, but 30 grams of slow digesting protein could be the difference between wasting muscle (probably a very small concern, but every bit helps) and not wasting it.

And the walnuts slow the release of the protein from the stomach since they are high in fat.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Also, Cottage cheese before bed (when accounted for in your calorie intake) will help the “nighttime blues” from occuring. I know it isnt a ton of protein, but 30 grams of slow digesting protein could be the difference between wasting muscle (probably a very small concern, but every bit helps) and not wasting it.

And the walnuts slow the release of the protein from the stomach since they are high in fat.[/quote]

More than “could be” the difference it is the difference. Maybe not specifically cottage cheese, but any casein-based protein.

Well, I’m getting ready to start boxing. I don’t know if any of you box, but I want to get real cut and lose my fat. So HOT-ROX is the best fat burning supplement? If any of you think there is a better one, just pm me. Thanks, Peace.