T Nation

Are Explosive DL's Beneficial?

I watched a guy at the gym last night doing explosive deadlifts. Low weight (100lbs) high reps (12) and about 6 -8 sets. His tempo was to explode up in less than a second, hold for a beat then lower on a 3 count. repeat. I have never seen or heard of anybody doing Deadlifts this way. Do you think there are any benefits or is he just wasting his time??

[quote]scoot823 wrote:
I watched a guy at the gym last night doing explosive deadlifts. Low weight (100lbs) high reps (12) and about 6 -8 sets. His tempo was to explode up in less than a second, hold for a beat then lower on a 3 count. repeat. I have never seen or heard of anybody doing Deadlifts this way. Do you think there are any benefits or is he just wasting his time?? [/quote]

Sounds to me like he was attempting to do some speed pulls. I personally do not even touch close to 12 rep sets when I do my speed pulls. I normally stick around 3 reps, 5 reps at most. Normally around 6-10 sets, depending on other factors. It’s a great DE exercise if utilized properly.

-LH

The main concern I have with the exercise you described is on the lower back - pulling fast at the start of a deadlift must be achievable, but I imagine it’s also easier to injure yourself relative to, say, a Clean. I can’t see much benefit of a fast dead over an Oly style lift. Do you know what the lifter was trying to develop?

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for lifts that maximize power generation. I just don’t see this as being a good way to go about it.

$0.02 worth (and that might be overvaluing it!). :slight_smile:

WiZ