T Nation

Are Environmentalists Really this Dumb?


“It seems that not only is the photography recycled, so is the storyline. It seems to happen every year, about this time. Note the photos show shear failure and cracks, not melted ice. Shear failure is mostly mechanical-stress related, though ice does tend to be more brittle at colder temperatures.”

The Anti-Industrial Revolution continues…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
“It seems that not only is the photography recycled, so is the storyline. It seems to happen every year, about this time. Note the photos show shear failure and cracks, not melted ice. Shear failure is mostly mechanical-stress related, though ice does tend to be more brittle at colder temperatures.”

The Anti-Industrial Revolution continues…

[/quote]

Did you bother to read the actual articles, or did you let someone do your thinking for you again?

The picture is a stock photo, and is properly referenced in both articles. The newest article uses the caption, “This picture shows part of the Wilkins ice shelf as it began to break apart.” This is factually correct, and if you bothered to read the articles, you would have known that the ice shelf began to break apart in Feb of '08.

The newest article is full of updated info, and even the circled sentences are not identical.

The Lazy Revolution continues…

Recycling is good for the environment.

[quote]borrek wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
“It seems that not only is the photography recycled, so is the storyline. It seems to happen every year, about this time. Note the photos show shear failure and cracks, not melted ice. Shear failure is mostly mechanical-stress related, though ice does tend to be more brittle at colder temperatures.”

The Anti-Industrial Revolution continues…

Did you bother to read the actual articles, or did you let someone do your thinking for you again?

The picture is a stock photo, and is properly referenced in both articles. The newest article uses the caption, “This picture shows part of the Wilkins ice shelf as it began to break apart.” This is factually correct, and if you bothered to read the articles, you would have known that the ice shelf began to break apart in Feb of '08.

The newest article is full of updated info, and even the circled sentences are not identical.

The Lazy Revolution continues…[/quote]

Is that how the ‘latest’ disasters happen, a year apart with the same ‘stock’ photo?

Revealed: Antarctic ice growing, not shrinking - ICE is expanding in much of Antarctica, contrary to the widespread public belief that global warming is melting the continental ice cap.

The results of ice-core drilling and sea ice monitoring indicate there is no large-scale melting of ice over most of Antarctica, although experts are concerned at ice losses on the continent’s western coast.

Antarctica has 90 per cent of the Earth’s ice and 80 per cent of its fresh water. Extensive melting of Antarctic ice sheets would be required to raise sea levels substantially, and ice is melting in parts of west Antarctica. The destabilisation of the Wilkins ice shelf generated international headlines this month.

However, the picture is very different in east Antarctica, which includes the territory claimed by Australia.

East Antarctica is four times the size of west Antarctica and parts of it are cooling. The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research report prepared for last week’s meeting of Antarctic Treaty nations in Washington noted the South Pole had shown “significant cooling in recent decades”.

Australian Antarctic Division glaciology program head Ian Allison said sea ice losses in west Antarctica over the past 30 years had been more than offset by increases in the Ross Sea region, just one sector of east Antarctica. (Greg Roberts, The Australian)

I am all for the move towards greener everything. Global warming [caused by man, polution, and the idea that it is a disaster] is a con, but it might help push us there to greener energies etc… and less pollution, all of which I am for.

However, the science is bullshit.

And the real reason is probably that there are wealthy interests who want to impose carbon taxes around the world as another way to screw people.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Is that how the ‘latest’ disasters happen, a year apart with the same ‘stock’ photo?

[/quote]

Sad. Apparently you still couldn’t be bothered to read the articles, or did not understand the words in them. One article talks about the start of the ice shelf breaking, the other talks about it worsening. Both are bad for our current situation.

As far as the photo goes, it’s an aerial shot of a remote (and disintegrating) antarctic ice shelf. Of course they used a stock photo. That is likely one of the most inhospitable, and dangerous places to reach on the planet.

And, for the record, the newer article uses measurements from satellite imagery, not this photo.

If the same stock photo is all it takes to convince the feeble minded that there is a liberal-media boogeyman under the nation’s bed, then we are in bad shape. Independent thought is good, people.

Wow the Earth is acting normally! Oh shit! The Earth warms, then in cools, then it warms, then it cools. Most the the time, the cycles happen in rapid shifts followed by long periods of stagnation.

I am not for wasting resources and being dirty, but I am not this way because of the so called global warming, it just makes sense not to be wasteful…I will have no issues tooling around town in a '64 GTO convertible. The more this horseshit is perpetuated the more it makes me want to shove my catalytic converter up environmentalist’s ass.

[quote]borrek wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Is that how the ‘latest’ disasters happen, a year apart with the same ‘stock’ photo?

Sad. Apparently you still couldn’t be bothered to read the articles, or did not understand the words in them. One article talks about the start of the ice shelf breaking, the other talks about it worsening. Both are bad for our current situation.

As far as the photo goes, it’s an aerial shot of a remote (and disintegrating) antarctic ice shelf. Of course they used a stock photo. That is likely one of the most inhospitable, and dangerous places to reach on the planet.

And, for the record, the newer article uses measurements from satellite imagery, not this photo.

If the same stock photo is all it takes to convince the feeble minded that there is a liberal-media boogeyman under the nation’s bed, then we are in bad shape. Independent thought is good, people.
[/quote]

The world is ending!

The world is ending!

The world is ending!
.
.
.

Let’s bring industrial civilisation to a halt because we’ve got the photos to prove it! Here’s one…and here it is again…and…

[quote]pat wrote:
Wow the Earth is acting normally! Oh shit! The Earth warms, then in cools, then it warms, then it cools. Most the the time, the cycles happen in rapid shifts followed by long periods of stagnation.

I am not for wasting resources and being dirty, but I am not this way because of the so called global warming, it just makes sense not to be wasteful…I will have no issues tooling around town in a '64 GTO convertible. The more this horseshit is perpetuated the more it makes me want to shove my catalytic converter up environmentalist’s ass.[/quote]

They say they don’t measure cooling because the model isn’t set up to do that. Hilarious!!

"The LTER scientists? analysis indicates that overall, 58 percent of the continent is cooling. As Ian Joughin of NASA?s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Slawek Tulaczyk of the University of California at Santa Cruz write in the Jan. 18 Science, part of the ice sheet has actually begun to thicken, not melt. Tulaczyk says: ?Climate models need to be improved to explain cooling. They do not currently account for spatial or temporal variabilities such as cooling. And these new aspects of ice-sheet behavior need to be incorporated into glaciological models of ice-sheet flow.?

http://www.appinsys.com/GlobalWarming/RS_Antarctica.htm

[quote]pat wrote:
Wow the Earth is acting normally! Oh shit! The Earth warms, then in cools, then it warms, then it cools. Most the the time, the cycles happen in rapid shifts followed by long periods of stagnation.

I am not for wasting resources and being dirty, but I am not this way because of the so called global warming, it just makes sense not to be wasteful…I will have no issues tooling around town in a '64 GTO convertible. The more this horseshit is perpetuated the more it makes me want to shove my catalytic converter up environmentalist’s ass.[/quote]

Hehe…I actually have no converters on my '06 GTO :slight_smile: duck and cover

[quote]thebigbus wrote:
pat wrote:
Wow the Earth is acting normally! Oh shit! The Earth warms, then in cools, then it warms, then it cools. Most the the time, the cycles happen in rapid shifts followed by long periods of stagnation.

I am not for wasting resources and being dirty, but I am not this way because of the so called global warming, it just makes sense not to be wasteful…I will have no issues tooling around town in a '64 GTO convertible. The more this horseshit is perpetuated the more it makes me want to shove my catalytic converter up environmentalist’s ass.

Hehe…I actually have no converters on my '06 GTO :slight_smile: duck and cover[/quote]

Sweet, do you have some cherry bombs on the MF’er? I really did like the newer ones too bad they didn’t take off.

[quote]pat wrote:
thebigbus wrote:
pat wrote:
Wow the Earth is acting normally! Oh shit! The Earth warms, then in cools, then it warms, then it cools. Most the the time, the cycles happen in rapid shifts followed by long periods of stagnation.

I am not for wasting resources and being dirty, but I am not this way because of the so called global warming, it just makes sense not to be wasteful…I will have no issues tooling around town in a '64 GTO convertible. The more this horseshit is perpetuated the more it makes me want to shove my catalytic converter up environmentalist’s ass.

Hehe…I actually have no converters on my '06 GTO :slight_smile: duck and cover

Sweet, do you have some cherry bombs on the MF’er? I really did like the newer ones too bad they didn’t take off.[/quote]

Hehe…no Cherry Bombs. Just some LT Headers, a Dyno Tune, a full Pedders suspension upgrade and some minor other “tweaks”. Saving up for heads/cam/intake one of these years. I love the car…they were so underrated by the media, but man oh man do they have a cult following!! :slight_smile:

[quote]thebigbus wrote:
pat wrote:
thebigbus wrote:
pat wrote:
Wow the Earth is acting normally! Oh shit! The Earth warms, then in cools, then it warms, then it cools. Most the the time, the cycles happen in rapid shifts followed by long periods of stagnation.

I am not for wasting resources and being dirty, but I am not this way because of the so called global warming, it just makes sense not to be wasteful…I will have no issues tooling around town in a '64 GTO convertible. The more this horseshit is perpetuated the more it makes me want to shove my catalytic converter up environmentalist’s ass.

Hehe…I actually have no converters on my '06 GTO :slight_smile: duck and cover

Sweet, do you have some cherry bombs on the MF’er? I really did like the newer ones too bad they didn’t take off.

Hehe…no Cherry Bombs. Just some LT Headers, a Dyno Tune, a full Pedders suspension upgrade and some minor other “tweaks”. Saving up for heads/cam/intake one of these years. I love the car…they were so underrated by the media, but man oh man do they have a cult following!! :)[/quote]

Sweeeeeet.

Dropping a 466 in my 73 Mach 1 restoration project. May paint it green just because I can.

[quote]pwilliams wrote:
Dropping a 466 in my 73 Mach 1 restoration project. May paint it green just because I can.[/quote]

Are you blowing it?

Not planning to right now, but I am considering a centrifugal. I’d like to keep it more or less a sleeper and I really like the look of the NACA hood, so no roots type.

To stick to the topic of the thread, I look forward to the greenies getting hot and bothered about it. Especially after it snowed in Vegas last week. In mid April.

[quote]pwilliams wrote:
Not planning to right now, but I am considering a centrifugal. I’d like to keep it more or less a sleeper and I really like the look of the NACA hood, so no roots type.[/quote]

Still that big blck should be pushing about 550 HP or in the neighborhood…That’s just bad ass. I love sleepers.

[quote]pat wrote:
Wow the Earth is acting normally! Oh shit! The Earth warms, then in cools, then it warms, then it cools. Most the the time, the cycles happen in rapid shifts followed by long periods of stagnation.

I am not for wasting resources and being dirty, but I am not this way because of the so called global warming, it just makes sense not to be wasteful…I will have no issues tooling around town in a '64 GTO convertible. The more this horseshit is perpetuated the more it makes me want to shove my catalytic converter up environmentalist’s ass.[/quote]

By driving an old car instead of causing a new car to be built you are far greener than all the tools pootling about in a Prius.