Are College Kids Stupid?

It is just the mental block. This post was mostly in reaction to frustrations I’ve been having. Plateaued for awhile in the gym, but I am busting through it. This Total Body Training by Waterbury is kickin’ my ass. But, EVERYTHING is improving. It’s crazy. But yeah. Must eat… more… FOOD. Thanks guys.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Also, are you claiming that the only reason someone could possibly grow without only eating chicken breasts or avoiding alcohol is if they are on something?

I didn’t say that at all. If you read my post it says that most of the guys that I went to school with were on juice. I know this for a fact bc I was friends with most of them. I was telling a specific story about my experience in college. As far as genetics goes, some ppl are certainly blessed. My long time training partner is 6’5", and 240. He’s very lean and incredibly strong. He’s also all natural.

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
I don’t know where I saw this, but probably from Dan John or this site:

The more I eat and the heavier I train, the better my genetics get.[/quote]

Perfect quote right there.

There was something I was wondering about. There are guys who are muscular and shredded, but don’t really eat protein and avoid losing muscle? Shouldn’t they still have the same protein intake requirements to avoid atrophy?

[quote]veruvius wrote:
There was something I was wondering about. There are guys who are muscular and shredded, but don’t really eat protein and avoid losing muscle? Shouldn’t they still have the same protein intake requirements to avoid atrophy?[/quote]

No, because your body makes protein on its own. The majority of the protein that makes up the dry weight of muscle tissue is formed from NONessential amino acids. That means genetics are the prime factor as far as how much muscle a person gains from their food intake. As was mentioned before, I generally don’t eat “clean” all of the time, even though my diet is by no means pure shit and I focus most of my meals “around” protein. I gained the majority of my size that way. Someone with a much slower metabolism might have to focus even more on protein intake and consume less carbs and fats, even less overall calories.

I think people underestimate the role of your GENES in bodybuilding. I also think way too many try to tear down others who may be more genetically gifted than they are. I am truly tired of the “well, if I was taking what he is taking I would huge too” line, especially when coming from some 150lbs geek who doesn’t even make sure they eat regularly and hasn’t been training with anywhere near as much dedication or for anywhere near as long.

One more thing, many of the people who you may think don’t pay much attention to their diet and training actually do. I don’t broadcast that I eat 6-7 meals a day or that I haven’t missed longer than a week from training in about 9 years. People see me come in the gym and leave half an hour later. Assumptions are a killer. Regardless of genes, most people do have to train regularly to get 18"+ arms regardless of genetics. They just might not have to train for as many years or pay as close attention to their diet.

There are some people who are gifted. If you are but average, don’t worry, make the most of what you have.

[quote]T-Smith wrote:
Not to rant, but I need to rant to intelligent people. I am a college student who just started training two years ago. I was a fat 220 lbs, got down to 150, now I’ve gained some mass and am at about 175. My problem is that in school I see all these huge guys, who I know drink, eat crappy food, but are still huge. Every morning in the gym while I am doing deadlifts and squats I see huge guys doing every isolated muscle movement ever created by man. And walking by the gym later in the day there is a line to use the one preacher bench. Am I missing some gene or something?? Eating clean and not drinking doesn’t seem to be working. Well, it is, but yeah, sorry to rant. [/quote]

The thing that occured to me is that these kids are doing a bodybuilding workout.Isolation exercises out the yinyang+ high reps= bodybuilding workout. Nothing realy wrong with that except that it usualy results in show muscle.
That and they could be shooting some juice. That will not only level the genetic playing field, it can give them a serious upper hand.
You could allways ask them what the hell they are doing.

The majority of kids in college don’t juice. Its easy to see the ones that do juice and the ones that don’t. If you are in the gym often enough, you can point out the kids that juice. The ones who get beginner gains… the ones who toil and sweat for 15 lbs of muscle in a year by doing the right things.

Prof X, is completely totally right. I wasn’t gaining size when I ate clean. Now I eat everything that I can get my hands on. Do I sweat it when I crank down 10 Long Island Ice Teas on a Thursday night? No I relish the fact that I got an extra 2k calories cause I need them.

God forbid I lose sight of my top two abs and venture up into 13%-15% BF. I mean seriously… I’m actually about to start another bulking cycle despite it being under a month from Spring Break. My body is just going to have to deal with being big and fat this year. And maybe next year we’ll see 170 and cut.