Are Brass Knuckles Illegal in Idaho?

[quote]Fishsticks wrote:
tom63 wrote:
Fishsticks wrote:
So, you Americans can’t go outside without some sort of weapon to not shit your pants?

Go back to eating rotten fish. It’s better to have and not need than need and not have.

Cogite, ergo armatum sum!

If you feel the need to constantly be armed with a firearm for your own safety, you’re either extremely paranoid, or you need to move to another part of the town.[/quote]

Grow a fucking pair. This gets so old hearing it every other day, and every time a gun thread or anything remotely resembling weapons gets brought up.

Who in the world says they’re carrying because they feel the need to be “constantly armed” for their own safety? I don’t. Nobody messes with me unarmed. I feel completely safe walking the streets at night unarmed, but I would still carry a gun if it were allowed (or as soon as I can get the cash to get my CWP).

I would carry a fucking broadsword if I could too. Out of nothing but the sheer desire to carry one.

That doesn’t mean the day might come where I’m traveling out of state or out of town and out of sheer chance get into a rough situation where that weapon might actually help me.

Besides, there’s another facet to this you’re not looking at—carrying isn’t all about yourself. If you see a violent crime being perpetrated against someone ELSE who cannot protect themselves, you can help them out more effectively when armed.

Oh, and by the way, Idaho has one of the lowest overall crime rates in the continental U.S. It is a very safe place to live with very little, if any, truly “bad” areas. I guess letting the citizens carry around guns wasn’t such a terrible idea.

God, what happened to my ancestors? When did you guys get so damn soft? You used to be badasses.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Fishsticks wrote:
So, you Americans can’t go outside without some sort of weapon to not shit your pants?

Right about here a strange compulsion came over me. A spirit moved me to post a photo of the Nazis conquering Norway in 1940. I don’t know where it came from or how it got here but it feeeeelz so appropriate to do so.[/quote]

You know, I was looking for a picture of the last time someone conquered America.

Sure enough, I couldn’t find it…

[quote]Eddie_would_tow wrote:
Let’s put aside the .38 for a second. Let’s pretend that the brass knuckles are legal. What if, by some random chance, i run into either multiple attackers or one attacker with a knife or a gun and I somehow win…with my brass knuckles. Wouldn’t that be different than the above scenario in which a seemingly defenseless and harmless mugger attacks me with his bare hands and is assured that a jury would take his side?

In a self defense situation, nobody will attack me unless they think they can win. It’s not like I would be beating up someone half my size and unarmed at that by any means.

Yes, the .38 is not only legal but I have a permit for it. Not only that but it is also a deadlier weapon than brass knuckles (most likely).

I just own a pair of the brass and really like the idea of OPTIONS. If someone from another country thinks we’re paranoid for choosing to exercise our civilian rights (the 2nd Amendment), then they can kiss our big, fat, arrogant, American asses; because we really don’t give a fuck. [/quote]

It’s a big what if question. Who really knows. I don’t know how a jury would look at that.

If lethal force is justifiable then you certainly have a right to use it. Lethal force doesn’t mean you are permitted to kill or maim. It just means that if death occurs as a result it is justified. So if someone is in the process of trying to kill you and you shoot him it would be considered justified. Now say you hit him with brass knuckles and then retreat or he retreats then that is a “win” since the attack was stopped. However if you continue to beat the crap out of the guy because he tried to rob you then lethal force is no longer justified since the threat is over when the man cannot offer resistance. That would be hard to judge in the middle of a fight with a pair of brass knuckles. It would happen fairly quickly with a gun however.

Ultimately the prudent man theory would prevail imo. What would a prudent man do? The police are considered “prudent” in most communities and they carry sidearms and maybe a backup firearm. Do the same and you would be considered taking prudent precautions. Carry Brass knuckles because you see a benefit in having them as an option…you will have to make that argument stick on it’s own merit. A difficult proposition at best since they are not considered a weapon of self defense by most people and have a dubious history of use in self defense and crime fighting. You would have a hard time finding an expert to take your side as a witness.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Eddie_would_tow wrote:
Let’s put aside the .38 for a second. Let’s pretend that the brass knuckles are legal. What if, by some random chance, i run into either multiple attackers or one attacker with a knife or a gun and I somehow win…with my brass knuckles. Wouldn’t that be different than the above scenario in which a seemingly defenseless and harmless mugger attacks me with his bare hands and is assured that a jury would take his side?

In a self defense situation, nobody will attack me unless they think they can win. It’s not like I would be beating up someone half my size and unarmed at that by any means.

Yes, the .38 is not only legal but I have a permit for it. Not only that but it is also a deadlier weapon than brass knuckles (most likely).

I just own a pair of the brass and really like the idea of OPTIONS. If someone from another country thinks we’re paranoid for choosing to exercise our civilian rights (the 2nd Amendment), then they can kiss our big, fat, arrogant, American asses; because we really don’t give a fuck.

It’s a big what if question. Who really knows. I don’t know how a jury would look at that.

If lethal force is justifiable then you certainly have a right to use it. Lethal force doesn’t mean you are permitted to kill or maim. It just means that if death occurs as a result it is justified. So if someone is in the process of trying to kill you and you shoot him it would be considered justified. Now say you hit him with brass knuckles and then retreat or he retreats then that is a “win” since the attack was stopped. However if you continue to beat the crap out of the guy because he tried to rob you then lethal force is no longer justified since the threat is over when the man cannot offer resistance. That would be hard to judge in the middle of a fight with a pair of brass knuckles. It would happen fairly quickly with a gun however.

Ultimately the prudent man theory would prevail imo. What would a prudent man do? The police are considered “prudent” in most communities and they carry sidearms and maybe a backup firearm. Do the same and you would be considered taking prudent precautions. Carry Brass knuckles because you see a benefit in having them as an option…you will have to make that argument stick on it’s own merit. A difficult proposition at best since they are not considered a weapon of self defense by most people and have a dubious history of use in self defense and crime fighting. You would have a hard time finding an expert to take your side as a witness.

[/quote]

Yup. Justifiable use of force- the one thing that no one teaches in “Self-defense.”

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
pushharder wrote:
Fishsticks wrote:

Right about here a strange compulsion came over me. A spirit moved me to post a photo of the Nazis conquering Norway in 1940. I don’t know where it came from or how it got here but it feeeeelz so appropriate to do so.

You know, I was looking for a picture of the last time someone conquered America.

Sure enough, I couldn’t find it…[/quote]

lol. Sure enough, there’s finally something you two can agree on.

[quote]Eddie_would_tow wrote:

I just own a pair of the brass and really like the idea of OPTIONS. If someone from another country thinks we’re paranoid for choosing to exercise our civilian rights (the 2nd Amendment), then they can kiss our big, fat, arrogant, American asses; because we really don’t give a fuck. [/quote]

Bottom line. If you go to your local PD you can ask to speak to an officer and find out if brass knuckles are illegal under CWP. In illinois, brass knuckles are ILLEGAL to posses at any level. Idaho should have a statute that spells this out. The Illinois criminal code specifically states that brass knuckles, blackjacks, and a few other weapons are outright illegal to posses. Question, why do you have a concealed weapons permit?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
pushharder wrote:
Fishsticks wrote:

Right about here a strange compulsion came over me. A spirit moved me to post a photo of the Nazis conquering Norway in 1940. I don’t know where it came from or how it got here but it feeeeelz so appropriate to do so.

lol. Sure enough, there’s finally something you two can agree on. [/quote]

We may not agree on the reasons why America rules, but we both acknowledge that it does.

Aragorn wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
pushharder wrote:
Fishsticks wrote:

lol. Sure enough, there’s finally something you two can agree on.

We may not agree on the reasons why America rules, but we both acknowledge that it does.
[/quote]

Haha. Well stated sir.

Eddie_would_tow wrote:

While I don’t disagree that this would be a different situation, the odds of you “winning” in one of those situations is slim. Very slim.

On top of that, what makes you think that in a robbery or other real self defense situation, you would be able to get them onto your hand in the first place?

Don’t forget that things aren’t like the movies. The guy isn’t going to talk to you long enough to allow you time to put them on in your pocket or some shit.

And never assume you know what a jury is going to do.

[/quote]

Good point.

[quote]Thai_Bxr wrote:
Question, why do you have a concealed weapons permit?
[/quote]

I will give you no satisfaction by leaving your wonderfully profound question unanswered.

[quote]Fishsticks wrote:
tom63 wrote:
Fishsticks wrote:

Go back to eating rotten fish. It’s better to have and not need than need and not have.

Cogite, ergo armatum sum!

If you feel the need to constantly be armed with a firearm for your own safety, you’re either extremely paranoid, or you need to move to another part of the town.[/quote]

You tell me when the bad thing will happen and then I won’t be there. It’s for emergencies. Muggers and other criminals do not make appointments you silly twit.

@ the OP- Brass knuckles ar generally illegal (except for Louisiana, maybe) but BELT BUCKLES are not.
So if you you purchase one of those “belt buckles” which are sold at state fairs, gun shows, etc, which are bona fide brass knuckles with a small ridiculous pin at one side (for the, uh… belt, u know) it’s a legal object.

UPDATE: I did as many suggested by asking the authorities. I went to two police officers and called the Sheriff’s department. Not surprisingly, I got contradicting information. One officer said, “why would you want the knuckles when you have a gun?” which was very insightful and left me dumbfounded. He also said he was unaware that brass knuckles were ILLEGAL. The second officer said that they were legal to own but illegal to carry. The gal at the Sheriff’s office said that brass knuckles are illegal, but her voice sounded like she was copping out somehow.

Anyway, I have decided what to do. You see, I’m just the type of person that enjoys weapons. I own various different swords, knives, daggers, bow & arrows, wrist rockets, and other things. The deadliest thing I own is the one thing I am POSITIVE I can legally carry around (my .38 special). SO…I will just have to find it in my heart to be satisfied with my gun. DAMMIT! :wink:

As far as I know, brass knuckles and switchblades are illegal in Idaho. (As you have already been told)

To all that are bithcin’ about always having to be armed----I lived in idaho for 11 yrs. I like to hunt and go out in the woods. There are things in those woods that will eat you. I want a freakin’ firearm with me. It is a law in Idaho that if you are on state or federal land (hiking or hunting) you must be in possession of a CCW to carry a sidearm. That includes carrying a pistol if you are bow hunting for deer, elk, or whatever.

OP–if you are in the unfortunate situation that someone is brandishing a knife (and knows how to use it) within 21 feet of you—your best bet is to run. You will be cut to shit before you can even get a shot off.

I believe that it was in my hunting regs. I will check and see if I still have them at home.
So, where was your snow dart avatar taken? Copper Creek bowls?

i didn’t read this thread…

But, it reminds me of this guy i knew…he used to carry brass knuckles with him…

somewhere in NY…he got jumped by like 3 dudes who robbed him and took his brass knuckles…i think they even broke a clipboard over his head lol…

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Hoosier wrote:

…To all that are bithcin’ about always having to be armed----I lived in idaho for 11 yrs. I like to hunt and go out in the woods. There are things in those woods that will eat you. I want a freakin’ firearm with me. It is a law in Idaho that if you are on state or federal land (hiking or hunting) you must be in possession of a CCW to carry a sidearm. That includes carrying a pistol if you are bow hunting for deer, elk, or whatever…

You’d have to cite the section of the Idaho Code before I’d buy this.[/quote]

x2, and I’m pretty well versed in Idaho code. For the record, you can open carry here without a license, to include courtrooms (just not federal ones).

mike