Arch Your Back Like a Stripper?

Thought that’d get y’alls attention.

I’ve had a few hip issues lately and the chiropractor told me not to lift heavy for a couple weeks, so I thought I’d just take a little time to really get picky about reviewing my form. I’m noticed that my lower back rounds just a bit just as I’m getting to the bottom of a squat, and I’m pretty flexible so I think it’s just a focus/technique issue. So I started really sticking my butt out, like how those flat-ass skinny strippers try to fake having curves, and believe it or not it worked.

Is that a good way to do it, or can there be too much arch? If I had pics or a video I’d share, but I don’t.

The rounding of the back at the lower end of a squat is can causes lower-back problems.

I think trying to keep a neutral spine with a small arch is the best for the whole movement.

I don’t know if too much arch is really bad but it can’t be worse than rounding the back.

yes there can be too much arch i suppose. and the more weight you put on the bar the more dangerous it would be to do so. but i doubt you reach that point though anyway

The way i see it, if i arch as much as possible, I’m locked in. The tension in my midsection keeps me from rounding forward, and my spine itself won’t arch back further, so I know I’m solid. If i just tried to keep my back “slightly” arched, then once the weight got heavy I’d be spending too much energy keeping from swaying forward or back. A lot of successful powerlifters have had huge archs. Lamar Gant for example

[quote]evansmi wrote:
The way i see it, if i arch as much as possible, I’m locked in. The tension in my midsection keeps me from rounding forward, and my spine itself won’t arch back further, so I know I’m solid. If i just tried to keep my back “slightly” arched, then once the weight got heavy I’d be spending too much energy keeping from swaying forward or back. A lot of successful powerlifters have had huge archs. Lamar Gant for example[/quote]

I feel the same way. That’s when I feel just right when squatting. Haven’t had any problems since. Arching the back pulling or benching that is no bueno.