Aquarium Pics

I know there are some people on here who keeps fish. lets see some pics. here are some of my african cichlids…

aulonocara lwanda

night time pic

This makes me miss my 2 tanks of South American & African Cichlids

copadichromis chrysonotus

hybrid. had to get rid of this guy. hes was brutal

[quote]four60 wrote:
This makes me miss my 2 tanks of South American & African Cichlids[/quote]

That’s exactly what I have now. 1 tank with african peacocks and haps, and 1 tank with south american cichlids (blue rams) and some tetras and shrimp

here are the shrimp in the SA tank

i used to breed mbuna and peacocks, things bred like rabbits. I managed to get my bristlenose breeding and that was pretty awesome imo.

kept some tang cichlids for awhile, they were different.

I also used to keep a few american cichlids, My oscar was my favourite. He lived for 8 or so years then committed suicide :frowning:

i dont keep fish anymore but i always think about getting a new tank and keeping an umbi or jag cichlid.

Been really wanting to buy a Bio-Cube, this thread might be the end of my savings account.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Been really wanting to buy a Bio-Cube, this thread might be the end of my savings account.

Home [/quote]

Any particular reason why youre looking at the bio-cube? IMO they’re overpriced and pretty small. You’re really limited as to what type of fish you can put in there

I dont know salt water setups real well, and want something all-inclusive. Plus that’s what was suggested as a “starter” salt water setup.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
I dont know salt water setups real well, and want something all-inclusive. Plus that’s what was suggested as a “starter” salt water setup. [/quote]

well to be honest with you when it comes to saltwater, the larger the setup the easier it is to care for. So a saltwater tank that small would require a ton of maintenance. I’ll post some more info on getting started in salt water later

Please do, im very curious on it. My logic is that the more cubic space there is, the more needs to be cleaned and what not.

I have some goldfish.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
I have some goldfish.[/quote]

Spawns of Satan…unless they are Koy

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Please do, im very curious on it. My logic is that the more cubic space there is, the more needs to be cleaned and what not. [/quote]

The larger it is, the less susceptible the water is to detrimental shifts in quality due to waste or contaminants (as they spread out over a larger body of water).

Saltwater fish are finicky for that reason… they don’t tolerate those shifts as well as freshwater fish do. Think of how large salty bodies of water are compared to fresh water, in general, to get an idea of how stable an environment they are used to.

So, in that respect, the larger the tank you get, the less obsessively hands-on you need to be in making sure everything is just right.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
I have some goldfish.[/quote]

Spawns of Satan…unless they are Koy[/quote]

Lol yeah it’s tough to find good goldfish that aren’t inbred. I got lucky with the ones I have in my pond, real healthy, good looking fish. I would never buy any goldfish you find in a pet store though

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Please do, im very curious on it. My logic is that the more cubic space there is, the more needs to be cleaned and what not. [/quote]

The larger it is, the less susceptible the water is to detrimental shifts in quality due to waste or contaminants (as they spread out over a larger body of water).

Saltwater fish are finicky for that reason… they don’t tolerate those shifts as well as freshwater fish do. Think of how large salty bodies of water are compared to fresh water, in general, to get an idea of how stable an environment they are used to.

So, in that respect, the larger the tank you get, the less obsessively hands-on you need to be in making sure everything is just right.[/quote]

This is spot on. Smaller tanks lead to larger fluctuations in salinity, ph, kh, gh, temp, nitrates, o2. everything.

Here is a good site to read up on a little…
http://www.saltwateraquariumcare.com/ideal-tank-size-for-a-marine-aquarium.html

To me salt water isn’t worth it for a few reasons

1. it’s WAY more expensive then freshwater
  2. Requires more maintenance
  3. Freshwater fish can be just as colorful
  4. It’s harder to find quality saltwater fish/inverts/liverock than it is to find freshwater fish/inverts/plants (atleast around here it is)

Bigger tanks, if you have the space are worth the intial investment. A 55gal tank is a great size tank for a beginner who wants to have a large selection of fish they can keep. You can find awesome deals on craigslist for used aquariums and stands. Just ask that the tank be filled with water when you go to check it out so that you can ensure it isn’t leaking. Also bring a flashlight to shine on the glass to check for scratches. Sometimes stores like petco will have “dollar a gallon” sales where a 55gal tank would only be 55 dollars, which is an amazing deal. With freshwater though once the initial setup is complete the cost is pretty minimal to maintain it. I honestly don’t even think I spend 10 dollars a month for food or upkeep of my 2 55gal tanks.

Another important thing to understand when getting into the hobby is the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling. If you understand this you will save yourself lots of headaches and save lots of fish lives in your tanks.