T Nation

April Photo/Video Check In

A continuation of the check-in thread for April.

Chris C. describes the idea better than I could:
This is an idea to improve the forum community, but this thread absolutely does not reflect any type of “official” T-Nation site membership requirement. It’s an idea that’s been percolating for a while, and I’m just some schmoe on the forum who figured I’d start a thread about it.

It’s a check-in, not a call-out. The idea is to improve the sense of community and remind us all that, no matter what we post about here and what initially brought us to the site, the one common trait that every forum member should have is a consistent drive to attack our training and see results, period.

I’m asking for all forum members to post a current snapshot of themselves. And let’s try not to get too distracted or off-topic with critiques of what gets posted. There should end up being more posts with images attached, than not.

If your goals are physique-based - you want to get bigger or get leaner or get bigger and leaner - toss up a current pic.

If your goals are performance-based - the powerlifter, the fighter, the Olympic lifter, etc. - you’re not excused. You’re invited to post a short video clip from a recent training session.

I’m just asking you to participate and play a role in improving the quality of the forum as a whole by reinforcing the idea that T-Nation members know how to do more than just rack up high post counts in the non-training-related sections of the site.

Concerned about staying anonymous? Sites like http://www.pixlr.com and http://www.fotoflexer.com are free Photoshop-like websites that make it ridiculously simple to edit/blur/obscure your face, identifying tattoos, birthmarks, background detail, or anything else that might threaten your anonymity. So, no excuses.

Previous threads
August 2012:

December 2012:

February 2013:

I’ve been working on these on and off for a couple of months. This is my best set to date…

Nice, damn now I need to start working on these.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
I’ve been working on these on and off for a couple of months. This is my best set to date…

[/quote]

Awesome, I do those, but band assisted…

I’ve incorporated those into my workouts lately but I can’t for the life of me pull myself back up. I just used the slow negative.

Sitting in the 193-196 range at the moment. Gaining back a lot of strength.

DD how old are you?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
DD how old are you?[/quote]

30 in 16 days. And in the best shape I’ve ever been.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

30 in 16 days. And in the best shape I’ve ever been.[/quote]
Awesome perfect age to do it IMO

What is the plan if you dont mind me asking?

PL or what?

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[/quote]

I like that set-up. Gonna try those tomorrow, thanks for the idea!

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Impressive. Keep it up! When I was around 30, I was also in the best shape of my life and I felt like I had better enjoy it, because it might not last much longer.

Now I’m 38, and in MUCH better shape now than I was then. It just keeps getting better.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

PL or what? [/quote]

Goal: Enjoy life as much as possible. Really.

At the moment full powerlifting is out. My back is messed up. I’ve had recurring hip/back problems since I was a kid (linked to scoliosis) and it’s majorly acting up. Only, the normal methods of dealing with it haven’t been working. I haven’t truly squatted or pulled in months. It seems too slowly be healing but it may be a long road. (I’m now the king of belt squats though).

I’ve been considering becoming a BOF in the meantime. I think if I really concentrated on it I could make a run at well over a 2x BW bench and maybe even 405+ at 198 or even 181. I did a paused 365 bench last week just getting back into heavy pressing.

I’ve even given a cursory thought to getting on stage. I’d like to see how far I could push myself in getting shredded, but ultimately I just don’t have the desire to compete at BBing. My uncle (a former competitor) has really tried to talk me into it though.

[quote]Serge A. Storms wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Impressive. Keep it up! When I was around 30, I was also in the best shape of my life and I felt like I had better enjoy it, because it might not last much longer.

Now I’m 38, and in MUCH better shape now than I was then. It just keeps getting better. [/quote]

HAHA! That’s great news.

[photo]38657[/photo] [photo]38658[/photo]

Here’s my April check-in.

My training has really taken an interesting turn over the past few months.

I’m now doing much longer, MUCH more intense sessions lasting about 60-90 minutes, 4-6 days/week.

These sessions are like giant circuits, with hardly any rest during the entire 60-90 minutes. I rotate between rope skipping, pull-ups, monkey bar work, push-ups, plank holds, and full upper-body dumbbell mechanical drop sets. Almost every movement is done to the beat of the music. It’s kind of like a spinning class with upper body resistance. I wouldn’t expect anyone to try it, but damn…it really seems to work.

I’m also doing a tough-mudder in May, so the timing is good for this type of training - I might scream like a girl when I get the electric shocks and have to dive into ice-cold water, but at least I might be able to dominate some of the obstacles.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

PL or what? [/quote]

At the moment full powerlifting is out. My back is messed up. I’ve had recurring hip/back problems since I was a kid (linked to scoliosis) and it’s majorly acting up. Only, the normal methods of dealing with it haven’t been working. I haven’t truly squatted or pulled in months. It seems too slowly be healing but it may be a long road. (I’m now the king of belt squats though).

I’ve been considering becoming a BOF in the meantime. I think if I really concentrated on it I could make a run at well over a 2x BW bench and maybe even 405+ at 198 or even 181. I did a paused 365 bench last week just getting back into heavy pressing.

I’ve even given a cursory thought to getting on stage. I’d like to see how far I could push myself in getting shredded, but ultimately I just don’t have the desire to compete at BBing. My uncle (a former competitor) has really tried to talk me into it though.
[/quote]
Ah I had a feeling, I was 29 when I herniated 3 discs in my LSpine. That pretty much put me out of ever doing PL serious, then I tried again when I hit 36 to get back to maybe doing it. Then I was put down with a “back strain” that I could not put on my shoes. Decided to drop weight and just keep it off now. Just live life, be happy, be a gym rat.

Now I do Oly lifts, front squat and occasionally pull, I cant even do bench any more cause of my shoulder issues.

Has the weight loss helped with your job?

I’m now doing much longer, MUCH more intense sessions lasting about 60-90 minutes, 4-6 days/week.

These sessions are like giant circuits, with hardly any rest during the entire 60-90 minutes. I rotate between rope skipping, pull-ups, monkey bar work, push-ups, plank holds, and full upper-body dumbbell mechanical drop sets. Almost every movement is done to the beat of the music. It’s kind of like a spinning class with upper body resistance. I wouldn’t expect anyone to try it, but damn…it really seems to work.

I’m also doing a tough-mudder in May, so the timing is good for this type of training - I might scream like a girl when I get the electric shocks and have to dive into ice-cold water, but at least I might be able to dominate some of the obstacles.

[/quote]
:slight_smile: yes its called Cross fit

I kid, I kid

I am doing the tough mudder next weekend in Austin

[/quote]

Yeah, I’m similar, just with my own twist. In the morning I do 1 main lift. Afternoons/evenings I do pump/circuits/conditioning/fun crap on the muscles from the previous day’s morning lift.

Push up/lunge/row tabatas
Complexes
Sled work
Battle ropes
ect

Yesterday evening I challenged myself to as many pullups as I could do in 10 minutes. Set a timer and went to town. (I got 110)

Pretty much anything that’s fun, hard and challenging I’ll try.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

PL or what? [/quote]

[/quote]
Ah I had a feeling, I was 29 when I herniated 3 discs in my LSpine. That pretty much put me out of ever doing PL serious, then I tried again when I hit 36 to get back to maybe doing it. Then I was put down with a “back strain” that I could not put on my shoes. Decided to drop weight and just keep it off now. Just live life, be happy, be a gym rat.

Now I do Oly lifts, front squat and occasionally pull, I cant even do bench any more cause of my shoulder issues.

Has the weight loss helped with your job? [/quote]

Yeah. I kinda feel like that’s the road I’m on.

eh, I’m in a cubicle most of the time. Though I’m far more awake alert and attentive than I used to be.
When I’m in the field with a crane or out rigging it’s a lot easier.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

PL or what? [/quote]

[/quote]

Has the weight loss helped with your job? [/quote]

Yeah. I kinda feel like that’s the road I’m on.

eh, I’m in a cubicle most of the time. Though I’m far more awake alert and attentive than I used to be.
When I’m in the field with a crane or out rigging it’s a lot easier.
[/quote]
Really didnt know you had a job change, are you still fighting fires also?

You in management now :slight_smile: