Apple Cider Vinegar vs Other Fruit Vinegars

We’ve read plenty of times that apple cider vinegar has many benefits, and I’ve been making my own for the past couple of years because I have a few apple trees. But… is apple special, or is wine vinegar or vinegars made from the juice of other “good for you” fruit just as good or better?

Once I figured out how this stuff works I also made some from grapes, cherry, mead, pomegranate, crabapples, and even one jar from elderberries that grow next door. But is there some research or other reason to believe I should stop being a hipster and stick to apple?

I don’t think you’ll find much if anything in regards to research. Apple cider vinegar has a lot of trace minerals that something like rice vinegar won’t have, but you’d probably get some of that from other fruits too. All I know is if I have a tablespoon of it in a glass of water it helps my digestion a little. It’s not life-changing or anything, I don’t care if it’s a placebo, if I’m a hippy, or if there are no studies to back it up - it works for me and that’s good enough.

Sometimes you’ve just gotta embrace “try it and see”. At the very least you’ll have a great range of variation to your salad dressings. In a local super market in the UK i’ve seen combinations using apple as a base but other fruity ingredients within.

2 Likes

Yeah, ultimately variety is good in that it will keep me from getting bored of salads, heh. I don’t expect anybody’s researched the specific benefits of raspberry vinegar or anything like that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if malt vs. apple vs. grape, or pasteurized apple vs. unpasteurized apple, were compared at some point.