Appetite suppressor

Besides Ephedrine, what other appetite suppressors can I get? (that actually work)

Thanks

Hi, eightman. You might want to look into 5-HTP for appetite suppression. If you do a search of the forums, you could also get a recommended dosage, or at least what was discussed. It’s a bit on the expensive side, but effective if used at the correct dosage.

Another one of my tricks is to use guar gum (a no-calorie thickener/fiber) that leaves you feeling full. Mix a heaping teaspoon of GG with your favorite beverage. You can get it at any health food store, and it’s relatively cheap.

Hoodia Cactus by far blows everything else out of the water, the only problem is I have only found it in one product. Just do a search for hoodia cactus and should be able to find out what I am talking about.

TT, is 5HTP an appetite suppresant or just a carb suppresant? I never did undertsand how a supplement could only suppress the appetite for one macronutrient. LOL.

The search function brings up the posts, but won’t let me click on them to find out the info about where to buy Hoodia Cactus; if you could supply it I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eightman

T-Man, 5-HTP is an intermediate between tryptophan and serotonin that readily crosses the blood brain barrier. Once delivered to the brain, 5-HTP results in increased formation of not only serotonin, but also other brain chemicals like melatonin, endorphins, dopamine and norepinephrine. 5-HTP is used therapeutically in various conditions associated with low serotonin levels like depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorders, obesity, carbohydrate cravings, bulimia, insomnia, narcolepsy, sleep apnea, migraine and tension headaches, PMS, fibromyalgia, epilepsy, to name a few.

It has been well documented that serotonin influences eating behavior (not to mention mood and behavior). Trytophan-free diets result in low brain levels of serotonin, which result in increased appetite and binge eating, with a preference for carbohydrates. Even if no carbohydrates are available, people (and animals) will binge on anything available.

Low serotonin levels lead the brain to believe it is starving and so the aappetite control centers are stimulated in a powerful way, with a preference for carbohydrates. After a carbohydrate-rich meal, serotonin levels rise. This scenario has led to the idea that low serotonin levels lead to carbohydrate cravings.

5-HTP may also help to prevent the decline in serotonin levels associated with a reduced calorie intake. Since serotonin levels tend to drop when calories are reduced, this once again causes the brain to put out a strong message to eat. This explains why most diets do not work.

It’s a huge topic, T-Man. Brain chemistry is very powerful. On the plus side, it ensures our survival. On the down side, we have to work harder and smarter (than our brain chemistry, that is) to achieve that body we all dream of. I think 5-HTP is effective as an appetite suppressant in general and in reducing carbohydrate cravings in particular.

Are you sorry you asked? (grin)