T Nation

Appetite Stimulation

What can someone recommend for me as far as appetite stimulators go (besides lots of water and a big breakfast).

Any suggestion apreciated

If you are looking for an overall regimen:

Skinny Bastard Diet.

Generally though, the higher the glycemic index and the lower the fiber count the faster you will get hungry following the meal.

You can also try taking your multi-vitamin on an empty stomach, I have heard this can stir up some hunger. But don’t do that more then once a day.

Mary jane

Stimulators?

I guess in all seriousness I read that as something to stimulate yourself to eat more.

Lifting hard usually makes me want to eat more. Wether that be a physio or psychological affect I do not know.

Eating simple sugars will usually wet your appetite as well.

Is this what you were referring about?

I have been on a 6 to 7 meal a day diet for the past five months and have had great gains, 30 lbs in little over 4 months. Im just looking to cram in any extra weight over the summer as i am beginning to plateau. AS food is the ultimate supplement i am looking for a way to more easily put down another pound or two a day.

[quote]dean12345 wrote:
I have been on a 6 to 7 meal a day diet for the past five months and have had great gains, 30 lbs in little over 4 months. Im just looking to cram in any extra weight over the summer as i am beginning to plateau. AS food is the ultimate supplement i am looking for a way to more easily put down another pound or two a day.[/quote]

Impressive, 30 lbs in 4 months, is it all LBM? I think that with 6-7 meals a day you’re fine. Whatabout training? Have been on the same program the whole time? Maybe that could be the reason you’re on a plateau. A change in program might be something to consider.

[quote]Mr. Moose wrote:
dean12345 wrote:
I have been on a 6 to 7 meal a day diet for the past five months and have had great gains, 30 lbs in little over 4 months. Im just looking to cram in any extra weight over the summer as i am beginning to plateau. AS food is the ultimate supplement i am looking for a way to more easily put down another pound or two a day.

Impressive, 30 lbs in 4 months, is it all LBM? I think that with 6-7 meals a day you’re fine. Whatabout training? Have been on the same program the whole time? Maybe that could be the reason you’re on a plateau. A change in program might be something to consider.

[/quote]

It couldn’t possibly be anywhere near all LBM. Not that that is a bad thing, but even a complete newbie couldn’t put anywhere near that kind of lean weight/muscle on. I would say if you are putting on 8-10 pounds of weight a month, why are you posting for more. That seems to be an effective plan you are on.
I don’t know where you started, but I would think for summer you would want to lean thatr out a bit, not beef it up.
At least that would be the most common way of thinking. That doesn’t make it right, just trying to find your mindset.

Weed. seriously. Every single time I smoke a bowl I always feel proud of myself since I actually finish the portions I set for myself. Goddamn bulking is hard.

I’ve gone from probobly an 8% to 11 or 12% body fat percentage. Im packing on for football so im not too worried about cutting fat as im only 6’2" 190 lbs. Im workiong on moving from a DBV reciever type to a defensive end tightend type so ive been using primarily strnght and size building programs. Im looking to get as well over 200 lbs as i can naturally, hence my question.

Thanks

Ya the Skinny Bastard Diet is great. IMO, stay far far away from excess fat. Guzzle down as much carbs per meal as you can, because its the fat that leaves you the “full” feeling.

[quote]dean12345 wrote:
I’ve gone from probobly an 8% to 11 or 12% body fat percentage. Im packing on for football so im not too worried about cutting fat as im only 6’2" 190 lbs. Im workiong on moving from a DBV reciever type to a defensive end tightend type so ive been using primarily strnght and size building programs. Im looking to get as well over 200 lbs as i can naturally, hence my question.

Thanks
[/quote]

Give me your age–college or high school.

Maybe I can help you a bit. My brother was D II all-american and is now the head national scout for the Washington Redskins. Yes–today was a very big day for him.

But let me know–maybe I can suggest some things for you.

I’ve read that cold appetizers like celery and hard boiled eggs from the fridge can help stimulate poor appetites.

I’ve never tried it as my appetite has always been huge.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:

You can also try taking your multi-vitamin on an empty stomach, I have heard this can stir up some hunger. But don’t do that more then once a day.[/quote]

My friend did this and almost ended up puking.

[quote]Velvet Revolver wrote:
Ya the Skinny Bastard Diet is great. IMO, stay far far away from excess fat. Guzzle down as much carbs per meal as you can, because its the fat that leaves you the “full” feeling. [/quote]

I’m the total opposite - I do olive oil shots whenever I feel like it without a problem but damned if I can down 2c of oatmeal every morning.

Try incorporating nuts into your diet. They contain lots of healthy fats as well as some protein and are very calorie dense and therefore not so filling.

As already mentioned, olive oil and also flax oil are great. Try some (or a lot) with your salads.

I personally would not pig out on the high-glycemic carbs for a variety of reasons (insulin resistance, low energy levels, high probability of increased fat gains, etc.), but everybody is unique and responds slightly different.

Want to gain weight?? And LOTS of it?

Try Pizza and beer, worked wonders for me :wink:

Ps, Just kidding, it’s not me in the pic.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
Try incorporating nuts into your diet. They contain lots of healthy fats as well as some protein and are very calorie dense and therefore not so filling.

As already mentioned, olive oil and also flax oil are great. Try some (or a lot) with your salads.

[/quote]

Yeah, nuts are GREAT. I’m making sure to get in plenty of protein (2g per lb) and lots of healthy carbs. Good gat too. But if I’m struggling at a particular moment, I’ll go to town on the trail mix. For some reason, that combination of crunch and salt just gets my appetitie going and I get hungry again even if I was full.