Appendix Pain When Lifting?

So yesterday I finished up a set of overhead squats and went into burpees. All of a sudden while bringing my knees back in I had a sharp pain in what I’m assuming was my appendix…it was very specific, not radiating anywhere else, and certainly didn’t feel like muscle pain. I tried another burpee and it hurt too much to continue.

So I tried another OH squat and as soon as I started to descend the pain hit me again too much to continue that either.

I did another 20 minutes of jumping rope and pushups and it was fine, maybe a little painful with the pushups. It still hurts mildly today whenever I put, how do I describe it, like compressive pressure on my core area… anyone have this happen before? Thanks.

Where exactly was this pain?

Being that your appendix is located at teh junction of the large and small intestines I highly doubt that is what the pain was. Plus you only really know you appendix is there once it becomes inflammed and if you still not in pain or possibly dead, I don’t think that was it.

[quote]rondastarr wrote:

Being that your appendix is located at teh junction of the large and small intestines I highly doubt that is what the pain was. Plus you only really know you appendix is there once it becomes inflammed and if you still not in pain or possibly dead, I don’t think that was it.[/quote]

Two inches right of belly button, down 1-2 inches. And yes, still painful when I’m moving. It’s a very small area where it hurts, but the pain is pretty sharp.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
rondastarr wrote:

Being that your appendix is located at teh junction of the large and small intestines I highly doubt that is what the pain was. Plus you only really know you appendix is there once it becomes inflammed and if you still not in pain or possibly dead, I don’t think that was it.

Two inches right of belly button, down 1-2 inches. And yes, still painful when I’m moving. It’s a very small area where it hurts, but the pain is pretty sharp.[/quote]

Perhaps you should see a doctor then.
If it is your appendix then it isn’t going to get better and if it is a small muscle tear then at least it is better to know. If you develop a fever though go immediately to see a doctor…

[quote]sluicy wrote:
rondastarr wrote:

Two inches right of belly button, down 1-2 inches. And yes, still painful when I’m moving. It’s a very small area where it hurts, but the pain is pretty sharp.[/quote]

You need to go see your doctor. A year and a half ago, I suffered the same symptoms, in the same area (not while lifting though). It was a very sharp pain, in the same area and so painful that you can’t stand upright or catch your breath.

I waited too long and ended up at the hospital having an emergency appendectomy. You do not want to wait until it ruptures (if that is indeed what it is).

Sometimes, the gallbladder will masquerade with the same symptoms also; another reason to have it checked out. Both extremely painful and require immediate attention.

Best of luck to you. I’d get it checked out sooner rather than later though.

[quote]MsM wrote:
sluicy wrote:
rondastarr wrote:

Two inches right of belly button, down 1-2 inches. And yes, still painful when I’m moving. It’s a very small area where it hurts, but the pain is pretty sharp.

You need to go see your doctor. A year and a half ago, I suffered the same symptoms, in the same area (not while lifting though). It was a very sharp pain, in the same area and so painful that you can’t stand upright or catch your breath. I waited too long and ended up at the hospital having an emergency appendectomy. You do not want to wait until it ruptures (if that is indeed what it is).

Sometimes, the gallbladder will masquerade with the same symptoms also; another reason to have it checked out. Both extremely painful and require immediate attention.

Best of luck to you. I’d get it checked out sooner rather than later though.[/quote]

I agree entirely with MsM. I waited a bit too long myself and ended up with a perforated appendix, an infection and far too much time in the hospital.

Get it checked out soon.

I just found it weird that I didn’t feel any pain until I was doing a pretty intense set, and the onset was really sudden, so it seemed workout induced to me. And it seems to have subsided throughout today, it was sharp this AM but is less noticeable now.

Could lifts with a higher intra-abdominal pressure than I’m used to force excess pressure into your appendix or something similar? I’ve had a lot of intestinal trouble due to being bulimic most of my life, and it definitely was a recognizably intestinal pain.

Maybe I’m paranoid… anyway thanks very much for the feedback. And I was really bummed, because my OH squats, which I’ve always struggled with, were going awesome, and I was cranking right along until my belly started yelling. :frowning:

Could be ovarian pain, which tends to come and go with your cycle. Sometimes you’ll go months without a glitch, other times you’ll feel that abdominal “stitch” when you do certain movements, two or even three weeks out of four. Look for a cycle, which usually points to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian cysts can be a problem one month, then vanish for several months. Been there, done that. It sucks. I’ve also had my appendix almost burst. That’s a totally different kind of acute pain, but you probably won’t know that until you’re in that situation.

FWIW, there is such a thing as chronic appendicitis, which is hard to diagnose until it decides to become acute. Ditto for acute ovarian cysts. I’d check with your gyno and try to schedule an ultrasound when you are feeling the pain.

Cappy

[quote]Capacity wrote:
Could be ovarian pain, which tends to come and go with your cycle. Sometimes you’ll go months without a glitch, other times you’ll feel that abdominal “stitch” when you do certain movements, two or even three weeks out of four. Look for a cycle, which usually points to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian cysts can be a problem one month, then vanish for several months. Been there, done that. It sucks. I’ve also had my appendix almost burst. That’s a totally different kind of acute pain, but you probably won’t know that until you’re in that situation.

FWIW, there is such a thing as chronic appendicitis, which is hard to diagnose until it decides to become acute. Ditto for acute ovarian cysts. I’d check with your gyno and try to schedule an ultrasound when you are feeling the pain.

Cappy[/quote]

Absolutely, it could be ovarian cysts and they are every bit as painful as an appendicitis attack. I have suffered from ovarian cysts all the way back to my teenage years. Make your doctor aware of it and when it acts up, make an appt right away. Just to let you know, they are not always found immediately. I had about 5 or 6 ultrasounds before mine ruptured and they found it only because of all of the fluid present and not the actual appearance of the cyst. Just keep your doctor informed of everything and all of your symptoms.

None of these are pleasant to deal with and I hope that you’re able to discover the cause.

I will look into the cysts. This has happened a few times in the last few years but this was the worst. Thanks for the input guys.