T Nation

Apolo Ohno

Initially this guy kind of pissed me off, for no reason in particular. I just watched this TIME video, that takes you through the ins and outs of his training, and have to say that I now have some serious respect for him and the rest of the competitors in this sport.

I think this serves as a great example of the true magnitude of the Olympic Games.

Most of the sports are ones that we probably are not familiar with, but the ideas of dedication, perseverance, and consistency are all ones that bodybuilders/powerlifters/athletes know quite well, thus we can all find respect, honor, and intrigue in such pursuits.

Enjoy the video:

I have such a huge crush on this guy. My first serious boyfriend looked just like him but was 6ft tall. I loves him. More Apolo at the Olympics!

yah okay not exactly in the spirit of the thread, but I am a fan.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

yah okay not exactly in the spirit of the thread, but I am a fan.

[/quote]

I think it’s well within the spirit of the thread. The Olympics are epic.

I am a huge fan of the Olympics. I loved it when it was every 4 years. I am not such a fan of the every two years.

I am also not a fan of some of the new events. BUT, I do love the half-pipe with the snowboarding.

I do love the Olympics. Thanks for starting an Olympic thread.

Does anyone else remember in Lilleyhammer when the Swedish team helped that, what was it… like… Senegal team or something like that, and was in last place and had used the wrong wax on their cross country skiis? I love the real sportsmanship of the Olympics.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Initially this guy kind of pissed me off, for no reason in particular. I just watched this TIME video, that takes you through the ins and outs of his training, and have to say that I now have some serious respect for him and the rest of the competitors in this sport.

I think this serves as a great example of the true magnitude of the Olympic Games.

Most of the sports are ones that we probably are not familiar with, but the ideas of dedication, perseverance, and consistency are all ones that bodybuilders/powerlifters/athletes know quite well, thus we can all find respect, honor, and intrigue in such pursuits.

Enjoy the video:

http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,65386042001_1960715,00.html [/quote]

Along the lines you were taking this it seems, I have the most ridiculous amounts of respect for some of the athletes in the “other” sports, who put in ridiculous hours every day for a decade+ to run a few 10 second races, and that’s it, that’s their olympics. In fact even that might be a bad example because sprinters are idolized, but you get the picture. The hockey players will skip some NHL games to go play for their country, and I’m not saying they don’t give a shit about that honor because they do, but they already have mass exposure, whereas some of these other athletes are going to have the big stage for the first(and maybe only) time in their lives. Big ups to those people.

[quote]red04 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Enjoy the video:

http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,65386042001_1960715,00.html [/quote]

Along the lines you were taking this it seems, I have the most ridiculous amounts of respect for some of the athletes in the “other” sports, who put in ridiculous hours every day for a decade+ to run a few 10 second races, and that’s it, that’s their olympics. In fact even that might be a bad example because sprinters are idolized, but you get the picture. The hockey players will skip some NHL games to go play for their country, and I’m not saying they don’t give a shit about that honor because they do, but they already have mass exposure, whereas some of these other athletes are going to have the big stage for the first(and maybe only) time in their lives. Big ups to those people.
[/quote]

Agreed. It’s amazing how many US Olympians are in debt, because they have to pay their way to compete. I saw that the head of the US bobsled team (which is ranked #1 in the world) is $40K in debt due to his Olympic pursuits.

Serious dedication.

I like the fact that the Canadian mens olympic hockey team is staying in the athletes village with all the other olympians.

Can’t wait for the mens and womens downhill events on saturday. My favorite event.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]red04 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Enjoy the video:

[/quote]

Agreed. It’s amazing how many US Olympians are in debt, because they have to pay their way to compete. I saw that the head of the US bobsled team (which is ranked #1 in the world) is $40K in debt due to his Olympic pursuits.

Serious dedication.[/quote]

You’d think that he [and the other winning competitors] would be able to erase their debts with the money accrued through sponsors, guest appearances, speaking angagements and the like, right? That’s more of a question than a statement.

I’d say the reason that bobsled competitors don’t get the face recognition and endorsements is due to it being an event the average spectator at home can’t identify with. Skiing, snowboarding, skating, these are activities that a majority of people have done at some low level and have a passing understanding of what’s involved. Bobsledding is damn cool and takes significant strength and skill, but how many folks have ever ran down a track in one back home?

And it is a damn shame these guys and girls have to go into debt to represent at the Olympics, no matter the sport.

It is such a shame they have to go into debt to represent their damn country. It boggles my mind that these athletes make you really proud that they are representing your country and when it’s all said and done they’re living a life of debt to what? A country they just made proud for their time and dedication?

Wow, those stair drills looked brutal! I would totally trip on a stair and bust my teef out.

I think Olympics are a joke BUT I enjoy the ice hockey tournament

thanks for sharing the video, really enjoyed it

Does anyone else have other Olympic training videos? These things are awesome to watch (any sport really).