Apollo 1800lb Press?

I wonder if it’s full ROM or Pat Robertson style…

I believe it. He’s an 8 time gold medal champion. He’s the very best of the best. Plus, I really don’t think an 1800lb leg press is terribly unheard of, no?

Sure, he’s 145lbs. But it’s all in his legs.

He has very large legs for his size.

But I think hes exaggerating a bit.

Depends on the machine geometry and the ROM.

very possible, again depending on the machine, ROM, how he’s set up, etc.

http://www. youtube .com/watch?v=C-DsC5aDL-U&feature=related

Funny how this guy defends his range of motion pressing 2,464lb in the comment section.

Did not embed, didn’t want to take away from the thread if it does.

Well I can’t tell what he squats but looks like 225 or 445?

He has no reason to lie about it. All machines are different, as many of you have said. Ronnie Coleman leg pressed 2500. Levrone has done 2500. Back in the '80s there was an olympic speed skater who routinely squatted 205 for 300 reps. These guys train legs heavy and for long duration, and they are the genetically best of the best at their sport. And their sport is entirely legs.

[quote]bwells wrote:

[/quote]

115kg (about 250lbs) in that video. The red plates = 25kg, blue = 20kg (45lbs), the little black plates are 2.5kg each.

He also claimed to be 2.2% bodyfat on Leno the other night.

[quote]Vir wrote:

[quote]bwells wrote:

[/quote]

115kg (about 250lbs) in that video. The red plates = 25kg, blue = 20kg (45lbs), the little black plates are 2.5kg each.[/quote]

He looks pretty weak in that video. I’m a little underwhelmed by those squats.

Good Lord, come on people. Use your heads. Absolutely no way on the “standard” plate-loaded leg press we are all thinking of. You mean to tell me 145-lb Apollo Ohno is 500 lbs shy of the weight 320-lb+ Ronnie Coleman, perhaps the strongest BB in history, hit for a hard 8 reps?

People get delusional when thinking about great athletes. He is a tremendous speedskater, but that doesn’t mean he can squat like a powerlifter.

Plus, look at the source. It appears to me that he’s just fucking with the idiot reporter from TMZ, who of course promptly published a “story” on it.

I heard an interview with a guy who was Apolo’s trainer (I forget the guy’s name, he was on SuperHuman Radio a while back) and he claimed Apolo was doin single leg presses with 800 pounds. I believe it.

[quote]doubleh wrote:
Good Lord, come on people. Use your heads. Absolutely no way on the “standard” plate-loaded leg press we are all thinking of. You mean to tell me 145-lb Apollo Ohno is 500 lbs shy of the weight 320-lb+ Ronnie Coleman, perhaps the strongest BB in history, hit for a hard 8 reps?

People get delusional when thinking about great athletes. He is a tremendous speedskater, but that doesn’t mean he can squat like a powerlifter.

Plus, look at the source. It appears to me that he’s just fucking with the idiot reporter from TMZ, who of course promptly published a “story” on it. [/quote]

x2

[quote]JohnnyChainsaw wrote:
I heard an interview with a guy who was Apolo’s trainer (I forget the guy’s name, he was on SuperHuman Radio a while back) and he claimed Apolo was doin single leg presses with 800 pounds. I believe it.[/quote]

I don’t believe it. Not at all.

[quote]thrasher wrote:

I wonder if it’s full ROM or Pat Robertson style…

[/quote]

nice 1/32 reps

i don’t care how much of an athlete you are, you are not leg pressing a ton at 145lbs. And can you really call it a “leg” press when you use your hands to push your legs?

Mario Cipollini, one of the greatest sprinter cyclists of all time probably weighed a similar amount to Ono, and was quoted to leg press something very close to a ton by some news article(s) I read back when I was into cycling.

I remember leg pressing over 700lbs when I was like 16. I really don’t find it that hard to believe, especially since it’s probably not full reps. But even then, it’s a LEG PRESS; It’s not a squat.

pics or it didn’t happen

I believe Ohno’s stronger than most for his size, but not leg pressing a ton. No way a 145 lbs man leg presses anywhere near that kind of weight.

I honestly leg pressed ~800 as a 165lb high school sophomore w/ full ROM, and I was weak as shit, 1800 is definitely believable with those short legs of his