T Nation

APF Spring Iron Frenzy Write-Up

Hey guys, I don’t post here often anymore, but I wanted to make a thread about my experience at my first powerlifting meet, the APF Spring Iron Frenzy. Detazahoth from the boards did my training and he did an awesome job. Very thorough, clear, and everything had a purpose.

The meet was quite a marathon. 90 lifters were there, including Scott Mendleson (it was hosted by him and Shawna) and Dave Hoff from Westside who went for a 1000 lb bench press. The meet started at 10:00 AM and we finished at 1:00 AM. Yep, you read it right haha. It was quite an experience, especially for a first meet.

My numbers came out to a 550 squat/340 bench/665 deadlift in the 220 class. The 550 squat was a serious grinder, but I made it. My vision became blurry during it and I can say with confidence that it was the toughest 1RM I’ve ever done haha. I just missed 355 on the bench, but was pretty content with 340. I only intended on hitting 650 on deads, and had only hit 615 in training, but I crushed 665 after doing 585 and 625. Overall, I think IÃ?¢??m hooked and definitely plan on doing a meet in the future. Some goals IÃ?¢??d like to hit in the future are a 600 lb squat, 700 + lb deadlift, and a 375 lb bench press.

As for Det’s training, we started off with maxes around 515-520 on the squat, 625 on the dead, and 320 or so on the bench, and in less than 10 weeks time, he helped to bring them up to where they were at the meet. His stuff really works.

Here are the vids from my attempts:

Could not be more happy for anyone. What more can be said other than great job my man. We’re definitely going to be planning on getting him a 700lb raw Deadlift in the near future. He’s far from being done powerlifting.

I’m excited.

Great Work…what time did you guys start he deadlift?

holy shit really nice lifting
that squat grinder was pretty epic

did you have any troubles with grip when your deadlift #s moved up so fast?

Means a lot det!

I’m pumped to get that 700 and bring up everything else!

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Could not be more happy for anyone. What more can be said other than great job my man. We’re definitely going to be planning on getting him a 700lb raw Deadlift in the near future. He’s far from being done powerlifting.

I’m excited.[/quote]

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Great Work…what time did you guys start he deadlift? [/quote]

Thanks man!

I hit the 665 deadlift at 12:40 AM…we started around 12:00 AM.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
holy shit really nice lifting
that squat grinder was pretty epic

did you have any troubles with grip when your deadlift #s moved up so fast?[/quote]

Haha for sure man. Vision went blurry during it. Was fun.

I didn’t have any trouble with the grip…Deadlift bars are epic haha.