T Nation

Anything to Reduce Nausea?

I’m on some meds that are necessary, work well, but make it very difficult for me to eat reasonable amounts of food. I’ve tried to force it, but I just vomit. It’s making picking up the weight I lost over the past year quite difficult.

Any suggestions?

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
I’m on some meds that are necessary, work well, but make it very difficult for me to eat reasonable amounts of food. I’ve tried to force it, but I just vomit. It’s making picking up the weight I lost over the past year quite difficult.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

I’m guessing that you’ve consulted your physician about the effect the meds are having? If its a side effect that you were warned of and basically have to deal with, one, that sucks and two, your best bet may be to try to get in some liquid calories.

Think something along the lines of Metabolic Drive Growth Formula, which has a good mix of healthy fats, good carbs and plenty of protein. Another plan of action would be to get in a good amount of liquid nutrients around your training sessions, when you’ll need them most.
In fact i would say if you take care of training nutrition and then try to get down a few other meals during the day, you should still be able to progress.

However, i do feel that you should consult a professional as to what your dealing with to be sure that it’s something that you in fact HAVE to deal with

[quote]Eazy wrote:

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
I’m on some meds that are necessary, work well, but make it very difficult for me to eat reasonable amounts of food. I’ve tried to force it, but I just vomit. It’s making picking up the weight I lost over the past year quite difficult.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

I’m guessing that you’ve consulted your physician about the effect the meds are having? If its a side effect that you were warned of and basically have to deal with, one, that sucks and two, your best bet may be to try to get in some liquid calories.

Think something along the lines of Metabolic Drive Growth Formula, which has a good mix of healthy fats, good carbs and plenty of protein. Another plan of action would be to get in a good amount of liquid nutrients around your training sessions, when you’ll need them most.
In fact i would say if you take care of training nutrition and then try to get down a few other meals during the day, you should still be able to progress.

However, i do feel that you should consult a professional as to what your dealing with to be sure that it’s something that you in fact HAVE to deal with[/quote]

I’ve talked to my doctor about the side effects, but we both feel that it’s worth the success that I’m having on my meds. I was diagnosed Bipolar 1 after a brutal depression followed by a psychotic episode of mania where I thought I was a prophet. Taking care of my mind might actually get me somewhere in life soon, so, for the time being, I’m happy to have this kind of side effect.

I’m leaning up and getting stronger, by virtue of being in the gym again, it’s just an inability to get the calories in to bulk up to anywhere near my former size. I’m already having many meals in liquid form, as I found that helped. I typically cook a reasonable amount of beef and nibble on it throughout the day, and the rest is liquid.

I’m more or less at my wit’s end as far as cramming more calories in though.

I am still making progress, but it’s slow and rough going from 245 to 185-190. I figured muscle memory would be a great help, and I imagine it’s making things better than they could be, but I’ll probably be around this weight unless something changes.

I actually just thought of something thanks to your reply about the liquids… I make sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, but that means there’s a window in the middle that I could probably eat a little something without getting sick. I may try waking up in the middle of the night, having a protein shake, and going back to bed. See if that works for me.

Thanks for the response, I think I rambled on about irrelevant details on mine :slight_smile:

Ginger root is supposed to be good for it.

I think even the amount that is in ginger ale may help.

Probably the easiest way to get some is got to a sushi bar and the ginger is free!

Pot.

Look online for something called Gin-Gins, they are ginger hard candies. My wife ate them like, well, candy, when she was pregnant and having morning sickness all day. You can find them at organic/health food stores sometimes, that is where I got them. They helped her quite a bit.

X2 on ginger BUT read labels on ginger ale products. Most are flavored and don’t contain ginger. Reed’s ginger ale fruit juice sweetened with all good stuff. That’s the natural way, the granddaddy of all anti-emetic is Zofran! Google, yahoo, ask; check away. It’s usually IM but oral works too. My wife, RN, works in an OR and has seen it in action. Got ahold of some from a NZ site, awesome! After 10-15min the nausea is gone you feel as it you never had it NOT “I feel better”, it’s “I never had nausea”. Talk to your doc, this stuff is safe enough for pregnant women and cemo patients but don’t know about contradiction with psyc meds. I’ve read it’s great for hangovers but don’t take before going out because you body might need to get rid of the excess alcohol by throwing up.
Phileaux

[quote]Phileaux wrote:
X2 on ginger BUT read labels on ginger ale products. Most are flavored and don’t contain ginger. Reed’s ginger ale fruit juice sweetened with all good stuff. That’s the natural way, the granddaddy of all anti-emetic is Zofran! Google, yahoo, ask; check away. It’s usually IM but oral works too. My wife, RN, works in an OR and has seen it in action. Got ahold of some from a NZ site, awesome! After 10-15min the nausea is gone you feel as it you never had it NOT “I feel better”, it’s “I never had nausea”. Talk to your doc, this stuff is safe enough for pregnant women and cemo patients but don’t know about contradiction with psyc meds. I’ve read it’s great for hangovers but don’t take before going out because you body might need to get rid of the excess alcohol by throwing up.
Phileaux [/quote]

Ondansetron (Zofran) affects serotonin levels and, although it’s highly unlikely that you’re on an SSRI with Bipolar disorder, you should be careful with this as your mood stabilizer may work with serotonin in some facet. Zofran also prolongs the QT interval and you should be careful if you’re on any other drugs that also prolong QT (which some psych meds do).

I’m guessing that you were really asking for substances to combat nausea in the way of OTCs/vitamins/minerals, but, as Phileaux seemed to indicate, if you think you need something that strong it needs to come from a physician. Best of luck