TnT's Forward Momentum!

Friday, 12/21/18

LISS-ish

• 30:33 of walking til it was too easy, then jogging til it was too hard. I’m not going to worry about tracking distance yet, unless I happen to run on a track.

I’ve missed having regular cardio conditioning. I even dreamt I was running and running, then walking and walking, at least four times each week. Maybe that’s a subconscious recognition of what my body’s needing right now.

3 Likes

You sure those weren’t nightmares :smile:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

Wanna hear something crazy? After my leg was crushed, I couldn’t walk for nearly a year. In that time, first I dreamt of the boulder. In my sleep, I’d hear it rushing and grating down the mountainside and feel the unstoppable force as it slammed into me. I’d hear my bones cracking and snapping. Those were nightmares :astonished: and also my brain processing what had happened.

Along with those dreams, probably because I couldn’t even walk, I regularly dreamt I was running and running for hours, effortlessly. I think my body was remembering what running felt like and wanting to be healthy and capable again.

3 Likes

Hope you have a great Christmas and a peaceful new year.

1 Like

I agree! Thank you and likewise, Simo.

Monday, 12/24/18

Christmas Eve front squats
15 x 15
65 x 10
115 x 5
135 x 2
150 x 2
165 x 2
180 x 2
195 x 2
135 x 8

A good, quick session. May have to repeat in the near future.

1 Like

"The angel said to them, “Don’t be afraid! I am here with good news for you, which will bring great joy to all the people. This very day in David’s town your Savior was born–Christ the Lord!” (Luke 2:2-3)

Merry Christmas to you all, my online training friends!!! May you be blessed with God’s goodness!

2 Likes

Merry Christmas TnT!

1 Like

Thanks CL, merry Christmas to you too!

1 Like

Merry Christmas :christmas_tree::gift:

1 Like

Thank you, God bless you!

1 Like

Hey TnT Merry Christmas
Time to put up a nice goal for the new year :slight_smile:
You’ve come back to walking and lifting … how about running, just because :slight_smile:

1 Like

Howdy Mort, thanks!

I like your idea of setting a running goal for the new year. I’m still working towards my strength goals, as listed in the first post. Since I like and need more conditioning, perhaps a running goal would be a good addition. I’m going to think about what that should be; thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy holidays, TnT!

1 Like

Thanks, lil’ sleepy. :grin: Merry belated Christmas!

1 Like

Wednesday, 12/26/18

Walkin’ n joggin’

Warm up

• 0.5 mile walk, stretching

Exercise

• Jog - 1.0 mile, 11:12, crusher fine track
  • Walk - 1.0 mile, 17:21, crusher fine track

Total distance - 2.5 miles
Total time - 36:40

This was a nice reintroduction to jogging. Slow as honey in January, but also the first mile I’ve not walked in a year or so.

Thanks for prompting me to start running again @mortdk. I’ve not selected a goal yet, but I know this is a step (ha, literally) in the right direction.

4 Likes

Make it 4 goals
100 m, quarter mile, 1 km and a full mile.

Whenever you run pick one of them: do some warm up running/jogging
Run one of the distances, try to beat last time you did that distance.
With the 100 m do one or two slower warm up 100s.

The first two or three weeks run one of each distances in a slow jogging’ish tempo, there’s the first time you’d have to beat.

From those times you could figure out where you want to end.

There’s always the “I want to jog 5 km” it’s just kind of boring to jog, running is much more athletic. When you can run 1 mile you could go for 2 km and the 2 miles before running 5 km.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions; I think I’m going to take your advice as written (unlike any lifting program I do! heh)

My limiting speed factor is an ankle that’s almost trapped in place from scar tissue. I can’t really push off with that foot, which changes my stride. All the same, my speed improves with practice.

Do you think consistently running twice a week is sufficient to improve? It takes my body time to adjust to running.

Twice a week would be more than enough to start of with.
Just keep the pace slow and don’t go 100% sprinting from workout 1.
Do it like a jog the first time, then jog just a little faster next time, just enough to beat the time.
It’s just like a very slow lifting progression.
EDIT: Ohh if you start to feel beat up in the ankle ease up. Running and sprinting is quite hard on the body.

1 Like

Sounds great, thanks for the advice. I’m going to plan for two running days a week, and I’ll probably focus on different distances each day, one short, one long.