TnT's Forward Momentum!

I’m down! Maybe I’ll do a daily dose of walking lunges too, so I don’t totally overlook the lower body. Surely calisthenics will be easier on the joints? And I’ll do a high rep set of pull-aparts with the push ups. In fact, I’ll start tonight; it’ll be my warm-up.

1 Like

Friday, 12/7/18

LISS
27 minutes walking, paved roads, no pack, approx. 1.65 miles.

I was fighting off yet another cold/flu/crud all week. I think I rounded the corner on Friday.

Saturday, 12/8/18

Bread 'n Butter 'n Jam

Warm-up
Single leg curls w/ plates / ab wheel

• 18 x 10
  • 18 x 10
  • Bw x 5
  • Bw x 5

Front squats / BPA / Single leg calf raise

• Bw x 15
  • 65 x 10
  • 115 x 7 / 2x red x 17 (BPA)
  • 145 x 2 / 2x red x 17
  • 155 x 2 / 2x red x 17
  • 165 x 2 / 10 x 12 (calves)
  • 175 x 2 / 10 x 12
  • 185 x 3 / 10 x 12

Wide neutral grip row /pushups w/handles

• 100 x 10 / bw x 15
  • 100 x 11 / 10 x 12
  • 110 x 10 / 20 x 12
  • 110 x 10 / 30 x 12
  • 120 x 10 / 40 x 10

Dumbbell swings

• 45 x 15
  • 45 x 15
  • 45 x 15

My conditioning is absolutely awful.

2 Likes

Monday, 12/10/18

Deficit Deadlift Supersets

Deficit deadlifts / shoulders

• 145 x 10 / 18 x 10 (rear delt flyes)
  • 185 x 7 / 18 x 10
  • 225 x 5 / 18 x 12
  • 245 x 5 / 18 x 12 (lateral raises)
  • 265 x 3 / 18 x 12
  • 265 x 3 / 18 x 13
  • 265 x 3 / 45 x 10 (see neutral db OHP)
  • 265 x 3 / 45 x 10
  • 265 x 3 / 45 x 10
  • 265 x 5

I cranked this out in around 30 minutes, only resting 30-60 seconds between sets most all the way through. My whole shoulder girdle burned!

My shoulder feels fine the day after three light sets of neutral db OHP, so I plan to reintroduce them once a week and will also try towel pullups once a week.

I enjoy light, high rep isolation lifts much more when supersetted with a compound movement, so I may do that more. All told, twas a great session.

4 Likes

I think I coupled my Shoulder Overhaul stuff with Daily Dose of Deads once and the shoulder fatigue made my deadlifts much harder.

This looks like my kind of workout though. My current lifting goals (on the back burner for awhile) are bigger shoulders and a bigger deadlift. Good stuff!

1 Like

I kept the weights light and pushed the pace, and yep, it gave me a great burn in my shoulder girdle.

I think you’re on the right path with the muscle releasing, mobility, and calisthenics that you’re currently pursuing. It’s going to situate you for a longer amd more effective lifting career.

1 Like

Thursday, 12/13/18

“Simple” Six, aka Dan John style

Warm up

• Nah

Reverse goblet lunges / DB farmer walks

• bw x 10 (per leg) / 73 x 60 yards
  • 25 x 10 / 78 x 60 yards
  • 30 x 10 / 83 x 60 yards
  • 35 x 10 / 88 x 60 yards (1 rest)
  • 40 x 10

This combo smoked me, especially the farmer walks - my grip and shoulder structures we’re on fire! Soon, I’ll at least be carrying my current body weight.

Push-ups w/ handles & feet elevated

• bw x 15
  • 10 x 15
  • 20 x 13
  • 30 x 13
  • 40 x 11

I did a few more reps at the heavier sets, so I’m progressing.

EZ bar semi-supinated rows w/ pause

• 110 x 6
  • 140 x 6
  • 155 x 6
  • 170 x 6
  • 185 x 6

The top set was five pounds heavier than last time I did these, so a bit of progress.

DB swings / v-ups

• 45 x 16 / bw x 16
  • 45 x 16 / bw x 16
  • 45 x 16 / bw x 16

I’m really liking db swings as a hinge movement. Even three sets of abs felt uncomfortable, which shows I really need 'em :joy:

This was an excellent workout. Despite the cold temperature (24* F / -4* C), the farmer walks and lunges had me dripping. To help my weighted push-ups and row weights increase, I need to squeeze in triceps sets and curls somewhere in the week.

I’m following a basic pattern of lifting every-other day or three times per week, with some walks thrown in. I’m basically following a squat/push/pull/hinge format, with some accessories added. I like the rhythm I’m developing.

4 Likes

Nice plan. When I’m done chasing my youth I’ll do a 3 day split similar to this. I’m still hard headed enough to want some pointless bar weight for bragging rights that no one cares about but me. :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks!

The point is, you care about the barbell poundage right now. Because you’re prudent enough to back off when something tweaks, I don’t see a reason to alter your primary lifting motivation.

When I’m in different life circumstances, I’ll probably return to a more traditional schedule. Maybe. I like full-body workouts, and I really like doing more conditioning work, especially rucking/hiking and swimming. We’ll see what the future holds, eh?

1 Like

Sounds good! I enjoy the diversity and input on the forum

I miss my barbell workouts. These conditioning circuits are tough and not glamorous. I think the MWF full body approach is the easiest to fit into my schedule so I’ll probably lean towards that if I ever get back to normal.

2 Likes

Hang in there. It is hard to hold back when you want to crush it…

1 Like

Yep, but on the plus side I didn’t really experience any pain during my evening workout.

Step 1 - avoid pain
Step 2 - fix whatever causes pain

3 Likes

Likewise! I’ve gotten great exercise and training ideas from people in gyms and here on the forums.

You’re right, they aren’t glamorous, but doggone, they work.

WHEN you get back to normal, even if it takes a year, then yep, I think you’ll find 3x a week, full-body workouts the most effective.

Hang in there, J. It gets tough mentally and emotionally. After my leg was crushed, the surgeon told me there was a high probability I’d never lift or run again and a high probability I’d never even walk without pain.

For seven years, he was right. Walking was excruciating, I couldn’t do any lower body lifts, and I was pretty down at times. It forced me to find my reason for getting up every day from things other than weight training. It required me to recognize my personal value isn’t in how jacked I am but in the fact Jesus loves and died for me.

I can empathize with where you’re at, but I can also tell you it DOES get better. Give it time. Trust the rehab. Use some of the training time to reconnect with your family and the Lord. You’ll get there :+1:

3 Likes

This was quite a good post J, almost no pain, that’s good.
Keep up the good work J, you’ll get back under the bar at some point. And when you do you’ll train smarter.

Everytime I come across your log TnT, I can’t help thinking about how lucky you where.
I think a lot of peeps would just have walked around in pain and agony for the rest of their life.
You on the other hand must have put a lot of effort to get to where you are now.

quick edit: nice WO up there the two supersets looks though.

2 Likes

Long, hard week. I’ll reply to people in the near future. Hopefully I’ll get on a workout this afternoon. Hope y’all have a great pre-Christmas weekend.

1 Like

Hope everything is ok and hopefully you can smash out a workout and post it up soon. Have a great Christmas man

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement Simo, I appreciate it! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Thank you for your kind words, Mort! I know God saved my life AND my leg, and I was also fortunate to have a lot of support from family and friends. You’re right, I put in a lot of effort and suffered a lot of pain to be active and ambulatory (able to walk.) It’s been worth it though, and I don’t regret a second of forcing myself to grind through the pain, because life’s so much better being able to move!

2 Likes