TnT's Forward Momentum!

Bugger. I caught a cold from a family member on Christmas (and I know the culprit! :grin: ) and haven’t been able to train since running two days ago. I’m helping people move this weekend so need to conserve energy. At least schlepping stuff will be some exercise and real-world strength use.

2 Likes

Forget weight lifting. To get strong and be paid for it, become a professional mover.

I helped people move all weekend. One of the days, I was the only person able to get into and out of the truck, and I carried a bunch of the heaviest things myself. Given my injury history and the help I’ve received through those times, I’m 1) thankful I’m able to use my body and 2) happy to help people in need.

And yeah, weight lifting is a substitute for real work. If we were all farmers, we’d all be a LOT stronger. True story :slight_smile:

For today’s training, I’m debating f what to do. My cold hasn’t left, but after 8+ hours of moving yesterday, I don’t feel any sicker, and I’m motivated to re-board the gainz train.

My current weekly plan is to run twice, do two full-body sessions and, time and energy permitting, do a third full-body, all-accessory session, aka a gun show :grin:

For my body, it works best to run then lift the following day. Which brings me to now - it’s snowing and the temperatures are sub-freezing. I love this weather, but I dunno if I love RUNNING in it. Either I’ll find out, or I’ll substitute a ruck for the run. To be determined…

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right, about that being the best way to get strong. As you saw, I too moved all weekend.
Hope you’ll get over the cold quickly.
Be careful about high intense running in the cold weather.
Happy New Year TnT, may the good will smile on you through all of 2019

2 Likes

You’re not wrong there mate. There are some strong boys in that game

1 Like

1/1/19

LISS

• Approximately 4-mile trek through a half-foot of snow. Around 1:15:00.

I didn’t track exact time or distance; this was more because I love snow and cold and don’t get as much as I’d like and because it made a great recovery workout after Sunday’s 8 hours of moving.

Ha, I literally performed every parent’s snow story - I walked uphill, in the snow, against the wind, for a half-mile. It was an epic butt-burner :grin:

3 Likes

Wednesday, 1/2/19

Lifting in Snow - air temperature 23* F, wind chill 15* F

1-arm DB clean & press

• 55 x 5
  • 55 x 5
  • 63 x 5
  • 63 x 5

Standing in several inches of snow. Quality work boots and wool socks for the win.

Semi-supinated rows / pushups on stands

• 110 x 8 / bw x 12
  • 140 x 6 / 25 x 12
  • 155 x 6 / 25 x 12
  • 170 x 6 / 25 x 12
  • 185 x 6 / 25 x 12
  • 185 x 6

EZ bar curls

• 80 x 7
  • 80 x 7
  • 80 x 7

Rear delt raises

• 18 x 12
  • 18 x 12
  • 18 x 12

Standing DB triceps extensions

• 3 x 55 lbs x 47

This was a snowy edition of a BUB (basic upper body.) I really like DB clean and presses, so I hope the low volume and full-body aspect took off enough pressure from the shoulder itself so I can continue doing this exercise, at least once a week.

My sweat froze on my glasses as I exercised. This was a pretty unique workout.

4 Likes

Can’t beat that runners high

1 Like

I’ve never experienced it. My feelings are quite the opposite - similar to the dread one might feel if tethered to the back of a moving car.

Which is occassionally preceded by the “runner’s low” - me lowering myself to the ground to evict the day’s lunch from my intestines :grinning:

I used to dread running, too. Do you think your fear is because of how you experienced running when you played college basketball or were in the academies?

No, I’ve just always been miserable. I ran cross country in high school for one year. I was awful, even by JV standards. I never enjoyed a day of it.

I was definitely jacked compared to every other person at the meets, but that didn’t help. I was still close to 200 lbs then but compared to runners that was big.

On top of all that misery it made me worse at basketball. It trained different energy systems and my vertical was crap. I felt like I was worse because of running. I would’ve been better off skipping the fall athletic season altogether.

I’m just not built for running and I don’t want it bad enough to push myself. I think it’d take years to get to where it felt easy to go for a jog.

I’d say that’s the crux of your distaste for running. Haha a 200-pound highschool runner is huge! That’s good insight though about distance running actually interfering with your primary athletic endeavors.

1 Like

MIA? I didn’t think all that sweating in the snow sounded like a good idea!

2 Likes

Thanks for checking, @ChickenLittle! My internet well dried up for a couple weeks, and I couldn’t post. I also hit a rough patch with the ongoing family issue.

2 Likes

1/17/19, Thursday

This is a variation of a long-standing favorite workout of mine: deadlifts, pullups, and OHP.

Warm-up - BPAs
2x red band x 3 x 20

2-arm dumbbell clean & press
53 x 5
53 x 5
58 x 5
Neutral DB OHP
45 x 15

Clean and pressing two dumbbells is much more involved than only one! It requires simultaneous, coordinated power. This is a lower-weight movement, but I’ll probably keep it in the rotation, as it helps me towards my 100 x 5 DB clean and press goal. My back started feeling tweaky, so I shut it down after three sets. Slowly but surely.

Deficit deadlifts
145 x 8
185 x 5
225 x 5
255 x 3
285 x 3 (265 on bar + 20 in backpack)
305 x 3 (265 on bar + 40 in backpack)
305 x 3
305 x 3
305 x 3
305 x 3
Pretty easy, honestly. Until I’m back in a gym, I reckon I’ll have to become the Deficit Deadlifts Rep King.

Towel pullups
bw x 4
bw x 4
bw x 4
bw x 3
bw x 5
My insulated work gloves don’t have as good of grip as regular leather work gloves, so I’ll wear the leathers next time. On the upside, the muscles in my fingers were tired out!

Dumbbell curls
25 x 15
25 x 15
25 x 13
Smoked biceps, get your smoked biceps here! Only 25 pounds per arm!

3 Likes

Glad to have you back!

1 Like

Thanks, I’m glad to be back!! Well done entering g the T-ransformation. I considered doing it, but life’s too weird right now.

Lol! It’s all in good fun! I have come to the conclusion that life is always weird. I have to just keep trying and hope for the best.

1 Like

Nice work on those deadlifts mate.

1 Like

Hey TnT good to have you back mate.
Good DL session you put up there.
Deficits is going to skyrocket your standard DL.
Oh I tried the towel pullups, damn was that hard.

1 Like