T Nation

Anyone Working a Part-Time 2nd Job?

So I’m in the process of trying to get the ball rolling on my full-time job, which is a commission-based service occupation. After moving to NC from PA, I thought I had enough in savings to carry me through until things picked up and I was bringing in an income…not the case.

So, now I’m having to get a second, part-time gig somewhere to help make ends meet just to cover living expenses. For now, since I don’t have waiting experience or a bartender license, I’m thinking of trying to help out at a Lowe’s or Home Depot unloading trucks/stocking the shelves…anyone else in a situation like this?

Juuuuust wonderin’

Things have been slow in my office this year…so I took a part time teaching job at the local community college. Never thought that I would need a second job…and certainly never thought I’d find myself teaching. It’s been pretty rewarding though and it’s helping pay the bills.

I own a small business that does pretty well and i still bartend 3 nights a week, more in the summer. Everyone says I’m a workaholic but I’m 28 and I don’t wanna lift a finger after 40, 45 the latest so I’d rather pull 16-18 hour days now and bank everything so I can sit back and enjoy life later. I don’t think enough people put in the hard work it takes for the payout they want.

I work a part time job waitressing in addition to my full time office job…you’d be surprised how many restaurants don’t mind hiring inexperienced servers so they can train them the way they want to. Nothing beats the cash from restaurant/bar jobs :slight_smile:

Where did you move in NC? Im between Asheville and Hickory. I dont have a second job, but Im considering it. My girlfriend works two jobs. She works as a waitress part time in the evening. We can make it without the extra job, but its just a little extra money. Try a grocery store. I worked at one for 6 years, flexible hours, and had a blast with the younger guys that worked there. Had a great time goofing around with them. Keep you young, I guess.

I’m in north Raleigh, and would definitely start up a waiting job if I had the hours to be able to go through all the training. I work an odd schedule so it makes it difficult to give large amounts of time during the week especially, which is why I figure unloading trucks/stocking shelves would be an easy way to make a few bucks with side hours.

I was thinking about doing that same thing, not making enough at my day job. Took a bartending class and got my license, but no bars/restaurants want a bartender without experience around here (I’m assuming it’s frowned upon anywhere). I’m thinking I’ll have to start as a waiter first and work up to bartending, hopefully it won’t take too long.

I would think of which job you could get that paid the most, there’s a lot of part time jobs that have good hourly wages. Have you tried working at a pool? Lifeguards may be paid decently around where you are but managers and swim instructors are probably paid even better. Classes to get the licenses are easy, assuming you can swim, which is also easy once you get the hang of it (as someone who works out, that is, if you’re out of shape, you’ll get very tired very quickly). And around here, there’s always open positions for pool workers. I think refs get paid pretty well, too. You can find a local rec league for whatever sport you want and just take a quick referee class (some may not even require that). I’ve never done stocking/unloading jobs (not as an actual job, have had jobs where that was one of the tasks we had to complete) but sounds good too, as long as they don’t pay minimum wage or barely higher. I’d be more inclined to find a job that isn’t monotonous myself, I don’t know if I could handle just loading and unloading boxes all night for 3 or 4 nights a week, but to each his own.

Get your real estate license! It’s the best part time job ever. I know guys/girls who don’t do shit all day and close a deal every other month, but make ten grand a pop! Most realtors are middle aged bored housewives who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground. If you already have a job, and are just looking for some extra cash, it’s worth considering.

[quote]HeyWaj10 wrote:
So I’m in the process of trying to get the ball rolling on my full-time job, which is a commission-based service occupation. After moving to NC from PA, I thought I had enough in savings to carry me through until things picked up and I was bringing in an income…not the case.

So, now I’m having to get a second, part-time gig somewhere to help make ends meet just to cover living expenses. For now, since I don’t have waiting experience or a bartender license, I’m thinking of trying to help out at a Lowe’s or Home Depot unloading trucks/stocking the shelves…anyone else in a situation like this?

Juuuuust wonderin’[/quote]

I teach an extra class at the university where my wife is a prof. Easiest money ever!! One night per week, 15 weeks times 2, make close to 10k. And its fun! I love what I do.

I assume you are probably in financial advising/ planning. Bartending and waiting tables can be very good money on the side if you get in at the right place. 100+ A shift.

AC, my job has me dealing with realtors everday (i analyze appraisels for REO and short sale homes) and alot of them are dumb as hell. However I was thinking of doing that on the side. I wanted to do commercial but they wanted full time and I hear you dont make much the first two years. I guess you are an agent from what I understand, id definatley like to learn more of the ins and outs of it if even for part time.

I just started working a part time job as a dishwasher. Usually I work 9 hour shifts… on my feet the entire time unless im on the can which is usually before I clock in. It can be annoying as hell but all depends on who you work with. The cooks are awesome and we basically have a big food fight all day but a lot of the waitresses bitch about everything and nothing.