T Nation

Anyone Willing to Coach Me?

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
Might also stop IF because cramming 3500+ calories in 8 hours may be contributing. The amount i have to eat to gain weight seems absurd considering my current lack of size and development.[/quote]

When I trialled IF, I had found that eating the super size meals were great fun, but made it impossible for me to move for the next 2 hours due to a full digesting stomach.

May I suggest reducing your fasting time, or IF on alternate days or even just keeping the carbs to a minimum until the meal before your workout.

tweet[/quote]

This ^

IF’s biggest benefit IMO is that it’s ‘easier’ more convenient. If it’s a struggle to do, then it’s not really doing it’s job. I think you get most of, if not all, the same benefits from limiting carbs to certain window, instead.

Good work in here though, keep it up.

Stinger I would try eating more meals, and make them smaller. 3500 calories in two meals isn’t going to be easy on the ole digestive tract

[quote]moogweasel wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
haha awesome that you are getting him to do legs twice[/quote]

kids these days are scared of hard work![/quote]

Hey fella

Good job, looks like a sound plan, very JM - like, which is by no means a bad thing. That’s why I love this site - plenty of knowledgable chaps willing to help others.
I’ll be following for sure. That dudes gonna be limping like he’s shat a brick sideways the day after his second leg workout me thinks…

Again, nice one

Moog[/quote]

thanks man, yeah the routine is very Meadows influenced. I basically just gave the guy the same routine I do.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
Diet varies every day really in terms of what i actually eat. I have been taking 4 scoops of whey with milk, fruit smoothie, oats and EVOO (depending on time of day) split over 2 shakes. The rest of my calories are made up from 2 big meals, 60-100g protein each and enough carbs and fats to hit a rough calorie goal. If i don’t have a calorie goal at all, i just WILL NOT eat enough. What i think is a lot, is not enough. If it’s written down there as a target, i just force myself to hit it one way or another. Even doing this, i’ve only gained 1-2lb since i started this program and that’s force feeding myself at times to an extent i would think would make me fat if i was doing it without tracking.

My main protein sources are steak, ground beef, eggs (but not that many), beef sausage, rarely chicken because i don’t really like anything i cook myself with chicken.

For carbs i’ve been eating a lot of potatoes but also found those microwave rice packs to be pretty handy. The vegetable pilau rice and stuff is pretty tasty and doesn’t have any nasty ingredients. I do eat wholewheat bread and pasta but not daily.

I aim for roughly 5 portions of fruit / veg per day sometimes i get a little less sometimes i get 7 or 8.

I’ve kind of been put off my food by the stomach problems. Today all i’ve had is a 4 egg and sausage omelette after training, and some fruit smoothie. Don’t feel like cramming in 3500 calories at all right now.

Oh yeah, i also supplement with 3-4g EPA/DHA fish oil per day and a multi. I just realised i forgot all about the vitamin D you mentioned originally.[/quote]

That shake would put me on the toilet for hours.
I’ve had problems with oats, whey, and milk before, but I do have a very sensitive stomach.

Personally back when I drank a lot of whey it would make me so bloated that I had to force feed my next meal, which in turn, made me want to die.
Since switching to MAG-10 I don’t have the problem anymore.
Now I’m able to eat 5500kcals a day without feeling even a little sick.

Making sure to have a good balance of red and white meats, avoiding just about all dairy, and cutting out gluten has been pivotal as well.

So, there’s a little food for thought.
I know how shitty digestive problems can make you feel.
I’ll help anyway I can.

stats after one month…

Weight: 184lbs > 185
Waist: 31.5 > 32
Chest: 41 > 41
Arms 14.25 > 14.25
Legs 24.25 > 24

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
stats after one month…

Weight: 184lbs > 185
Waist: 31.5 > 32
Chest: 41 > 41
Arms 14.25 > 14.25
Legs 24.25 > 24
[/quote]

strength levels?

squat is still around 100 x 5 but slightly improved form, 4 x 10 @ 60kg which is an improvement
decline DB no change
all machine movements etc have increased a bit, but i was taking it easier at first so i’m now exerting max effort on those
i’m not tracking stuff like rear delts and lateral raises, i just go by feel for those until the muscle feels trashed.

Honestly, i would usually see all those measurements increase in a month, but i would also gain 4-5lbs.

hmm ok we need to dig a little deeper.

I’d like it if you could start logging your workouts and diet. Doesn’t have to be in this thread (although I’d prefer it if it was), you can log here or start a log in the training logs section of the site, but we need to see what the situation is and I need more info.

I strongly suspect something is up with your diet

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I’d like it if you could start logging your workouts and diet. Doesn’t have to be in this thread (although I’d prefer it if it was), you can log here or start a log in the training logs section of the site, but we need to see what the situation is and I need more info.

I strongly suspect something is up with your diet[/quote]

I would agree and say that something is i am not eating enough. I can remember last time i bulked from mid 180’s i was taking 3700 kcal as a minimum, bodyweight x 20 for me usually. This month I tried to keep it more in line with the typical lean bulk numbers and it didn’t work.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I strongly suspect something is up with your diet[/quote]

I would agree and say that something is i am not eating enough. I can remember last time i bulked from mid 180’s i was taking 3700 kcal as a minimum, bodyweight x 20 for me usually. This month I tried to keep it more in line with the typical lean bulk numbers and it didn’t work.[/quote]

try it without intermittent fasting; have breakfast of protein, fat and carbs. We may take the breakfast carbs out again in future but for now add them back in. I want the scale moving and strength going up. I don’t like the idea that you’re getting all your calories from two meals, and I don’t really like the reliance on that shake you’re drinking. I also think with the digestive problems you’re having you should drop whey and cut out eggs. If you really must eat eggs then cook them differently every time and don’t have them every day.

so from now on

-have breakfast WITH CARBS
-no whey no day
-2 cheat meals a week (make them count
-variation with how you eat your eggs, and don’t eat eggs every day
-pay attention to fibre! You need more of it.

if you can’t live without shakes look into one of the other types (pea, rice etc), or even BCAAs/EAAs.

I still want you eating clean 95% of the time!

Make no mistake, you will find it harder at first to get your protein in without whey protein, but that’s just the way it is. Seeing as you are now going from 2 solid meals to 4, you should be able to get 50g of solid protein a meal easy enough.

we dealt with the pain when squatting, now we need to deal with the digestive problems and lack of weight gain. I strongly suspect fixing one will fix the other.

RDS what’s up brother haven’t posted in a while …great fucking thread. You gave me good advice in the past and see ur still at it ( helping others ) just coming off 531 cuz the heavy lifting just doesn’t agree with the neck and back problems I have and was going to do GVT but am considering doing the routine u wote for stinger. Your one fucking good dude !

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
so from now on

-no whey no day

if you can’t live without shakes look into one of the other types (pea, rice etc), or even BCAAs/EAAs.

[/quote]

Ok sounds good. I just had oats for breakfast today with nothing else and due to the reaction i’ve decided to take them out of my diet as well for now. After a couple of weeks without oats and whey i will try a little whey again. Milk will be replaced with almond milk. I was reading chris shugarts thread on what he eats (he seems to be obsessive with eating clean) and he sometimes uses these gluten-free pizzas. It would be pretty easy for me to get one of theese cheese/tom pizzas and cover it with chicken and fat free cheese and make them at least 80g protein each for say 1000 cal, maybe some olive oil on there if i need extra fats. Would you consider that eating clean? It would make things easy as i love cold pizza and could snack on that all day in between jobs.

[quote]docholliday7777 wrote:
RDS what’s up brother haven’t posted in a while …great fucking thread. You gave me good advice in the past and see ur still at it ( helping others ) just coming off 531 cuz the heavy lifting just doesn’t agree with the neck and back problems I have and was going to do GVT but am considering doing the routine u wote for stinger. Your one fucking good dude ![/quote]

thanks very much man! Really appreciate it

[quote]stinger70 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
so from now on

-no whey no day

[/quote]

Ok sounds good. I just had oats for breakfast today with nothing else and due to the reaction i’ve decided to take them out of my diet as well for now. After a couple of weeks without oats and whey i will try a little whey again. Milk will be replaced with almond milk. I was reading chris shugarts thread on what he eats (he seems to be obsessive with eating clean) and he sometimes uses these gluten-free pizzas. It would be pretty easy for me to get one of theese cheese/tom pizzas and cover it with chicken and fat free cheese and make them at least 80g protein each for say 1000 cal, maybe some olive oil on there if i need extra fats. Would you consider that eating clean? It would make things easy as i love cold pizza and could snack on that all day in between jobs.

[/quote]

A carbs only breakfast??? The horror!

All those dietary changes sound good.

The pizzas are fine, lol. Pizza is healthy if it’s made with healthy ingredients. 1000 calories per pizza sounds a bit ambitious though. You can eat that as much as you like, but make sure there’s some veg on there.

remember though: meat and veg is still supposed to make up the bulk of your diet.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
so from now on

-no whey no day

[/quote]

[/quote]

A carbs only breakfast??? The horror!

All those dietary changes sound good.

The pizzas are fine, lol. Pizza is healthy if it’s made with healthy ingredients. 1000 calories per pizza sounds a bit ambitious though. You can eat that as much as you like, but make sure there’s some veg on there.

remember though: meat and veg is still supposed to make up the bulk of your diet.

Listen to Rds on the veggies/fiber stuff. Last week I increased carbs, and didn’t really hit my veggies hard, and looked like shit. Now actively trying to eat a lot more of them to get the fiber, and I look and feel a TON better.

And if you’re having digestive issues, I found a good remedy for me was at least space out your protein. Like have 4-5 servings of 25-50g of protein, because I know with IF I’d end up eating close to 100+g of Pro in a meal and it would leave me bloated and gassy and just bleh.

Just some suggestions, and if Rds thinks otherwise disregard my advice lol. But good work in here regardless bro.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Listen to Rds on the veggies/fiber stuff. Last week I increased carbs, and didn’t really hit my veggies hard, and looked like shit. Now actively trying to eat a lot more of them to get the fiber, and I look and feel a TON better.

And if you’re having digestive issues, I found a good remedy for me was at least space out your protein. Like have 4-5 servings of 25-50g of protein, because I know with IF I’d end up eating close to 100+g of Pro in a meal and it would leave me bloated and gassy and just bleh.

Just some suggestions, and if Rds thinks otherwise disregard my advice lol. But good work in here regardless bro. [/quote]

that’s all stuff I agree with 100%. If I get too much protein in in one go I pay the price. It’s the only real drawback of IF in my mind.

Feel free to make as many suggestions as you want man! We’re all here to learn from each other. That goes for anyone else who wants to pitch in too

UPDATES STINGER!

OK i was just logging on to do an update…maybe not what you expect…

Toward the end of last week i became pretty much afraid to eat because i needed to shit constantly and it was affecting my ability to do my job. Then on Friday i got ill (got caught in the rain in like 8 degrees, good summer we are having) which made me feel pretty bad but i returned to the gym on the sunday having eaten basically nothing for 3 days. Had a terrible workout, got talking to a young bodybuilder at the gym who thought it was like my first time training or something, turns out i’ve been training longer than him and he has placed in local shows and is generally fucking huge compared to me. This was a blow to my motivation, whether it should have been or not.

Next gym session was on tuesday, didn’t really feel like being there, got through the workout and then came down with a horrible cold which i obviously hadn’t recovered from and lifting weakened me enough to succumb to it again. I haven’t been to the gym since, have paid zero attention to diet since, and still feel fairly weak/ill now. Weight is down to 182lbs, lost size all over.

Combined with the sickness, i feel this week has just been like a huge rebellion against bodybuilding. The thought of being in a gym pisses me off, the thought of force feeding myself seems stupid. I can’t really explain this, but i just have absolutely zero interest in it right now. I hammered away for a month or so, gained no size, then got ill and ended up smaller and weaker than before i started, so demotivating, 4 weeks to gain nothing 1 week to lose plenty.

At the moment im seriously considering buying a mountain bike, to get myself fitter and healthier as well as give me something to do. I feel that it is pretty negative to do nothing in my life but lifting, and it makes me focus more on the results because i expect more from it. Another hobby would be a good distraction from this and give me something else to focus on rather than how big i am. Also the more time i spend in gyms the worse i feel about myself. I didn’t care too much when i was 135lbs, i rarely thought about my lack of muscle. Then i started lifting because my colleagues on a course all did it and it gave me something to do. I just wanted to be 160lbs of muscle/fat to look a bit better in clothes. I grew fast, reached that target. Now i want to be 200lbs shredded. 220 would be better. That requires steroids. It’s a slippery slope, and not a healthy one.

Do you reckon its a good idea to start cycling (inb4 steroid puns) and will it detract too much from lifting?

Interested in what RDS recommends here.