Anyone Willing to Coach Me?

Stinger, something we need to address is your attitude. I’m not talking about your attitude towards training or the routine/diet I’ve given you. You’ve attacked them with exactly the gusto I was hoping for, and your defending them against jasmincar’s criticisms reassures me that you have faith in the program and my coaching. This makes me happy and I really do appreciate you putting so much stock in my advice.

But we need to address the self-deprecation that is coming across in your posts. You are not giving yourself anywhere near enough credit for what you have accomplished so far. You have added 35lbs since you started training! I don’t care what the dicks here in internet land who say things like “durr I added 60lbs my first year of training” say, adding 35lbs of good quality mass through diet and exercise is DEFINITELY something you should be proud of. Your lifts are nothing to sneeze at either, particularly your lower body lifts. You are on the right track and there is really no need to view yourself as negatively as you seem to be doing. Sure you made some mistakes starting out, but show me a lifter who says he didn’t and I’ll show you a liar. It’s easy to look around the internet, particularly sites like this where we have some ridiculously strong guys and guys who clearly lucked out on the genetic lottery (I don’t mean to downplay anyone’s hard work when I say that) and think that you suck, but these aren’t the guys you should be comparing yourself to. You should just compare yourself to your past self. Are you bigger and stronger than you were this time last year? If the answer to that is “yes,” then you’re doing it right.

I understand why you are frustrated, as I have been through it myself. I started training at 130lbs, so I had to add 50lbs just to look normal sized. It sucks that someone who has better genetics and a higher starting bodyweight can look better than guys like you and I after training for 6 months, but that’s just the way it is. There’s a reason why I don’t ever really respond to your questions about how long it’ll take for you to look awesome, and it’s because I really have no idea. All I can tell you is that if you diet and train consistently then you will be in a constant state of improvement, which will eventually take you to a place where you are happy with how you look.

You’ll notice though that I said “happy” and not “satisfied,” this is because you will NEVER be satisfied with your physique. Even if you reach your goal of 200lbs, you’ll look at yourself and think that you could do with bringing up your rear delts or upper chest or whatever.

This is why you need to enjoy the journey. You’ll never get your physique to exactly where you want it, so the sooner you can bring yourself to accept yourself, complete with lagging bodyparts and imbalances, the happier you’ll be. Just be secure in the knowledge that through giving your diet and training your best, that you are the best version of you that you can be RIGHT NOW. The future is about improvement, the present is about accepting, believing in and loving yourself.

If you are not happy within yourself at 170lbs, you won’t be happy within yourself at 200lbs, I guarantee that. You need to be more forgiving for stalls in your progress and give yourself some credit! You have done MUCH better than you seem to think you have and there are people out there in a much worse place training-wise than you are.

So no more talk of being frustrated, and definitely no more steroids talk. Stop fixating on what’s gone wrong and the things you are dissatisfied with, and concentrate on being happy with yourself right now and looking forward to the future.

Now go eat some protein and veg! That’s an order.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Stinger, something we need to address is your attitude. I’m not talking about your attitude towards training or the routine/diet I’ve given you. You’ve attacked them with exactly the gusto I was hoping for, and your defending them against jasmincar’s criticisms reassures me that you have faith in the program and my coaching. This makes me happy and I really do appreciate you putting so much stock in my advice.

But we need to address the self-deprecation that is coming across in your posts. You are not giving yourself anywhere near enough credit for what you have accomplished so far. You have added 35lbs since you started training! I don’t care what the dicks here in internet land who say things like “durr I added 60lbs my first year of training” say, adding 35lbs of good quality mass through diet and exercise is DEFINITELY something you should be proud of. Your lifts are nothing to sneeze at either, particularly your lower body lifts. You are on the right track and there is really no need to view yourself as negatively as you seem to be doing. Sure you made some mistakes starting out, but show me a lifter who says he didn’t and I’ll show you a liar. It’s easy to look around the internet, particularly sites like this where we have some ridiculously strong guys and guys who clearly lucked out on the genetic lottery (I don’t mean to downplay anyone’s hard work when I say that) and think that you suck, but these aren’t the guys you should be comparing yourself to. You should just compare yourself to your past self. Are you bigger and stronger than you were this time last year? If the answer to that is “yes,” then you’re doing it right.

I understand why you are frustrated, as I have been through it myself. I started training at 130lbs, so I had to add 50lbs just to look normal sized. It sucks that someone who has better genetics and a higher starting bodyweight can look better than guys like you and I after training for 6 months, but that’s just the way it is. There’s a reason why I don’t ever really respond to your questions about how long it’ll take for you to look awesome, and it’s because I really have no idea. All I can tell you is that if you diet and train consistently then you will be in a constant state of improvement, which will eventually take you to a place where you are happy with how you look.

You’ll notice though that I said “happy” and not “satisfied,” this is because you will NEVER be satisfied with your physique. Even if you reach your goal of 200lbs, you’ll look at yourself and think that you could do with bringing up your rear delts or upper chest or whatever.

This is why you need to enjoy the journey. You’ll never get your physique to exactly where you want it, so the sooner you can bring yourself to accept yourself, complete with lagging bodyparts and imbalances, the happier you’ll be. Just be secure in the knowledge that through giving your diet and training your best, that you are the best version of you that you can be RIGHT NOW. The future is about improvement, the present is about accepting, believing in and loving yourself.

If you are not happy within yourself at 170lbs, you won’t be happy within yourself at 200lbs, I guarantee that. You need to be more forgiving for stalls in your progress and give yourself some credit! You have done MUCH better than you seem to think you have and there are people out there in a much worse place training-wise than you are.

So no more talk of being frustrated, and definitely no more steroids talk. Stop fixating on what’s gone wrong and the things you are dissatisfied with, and concentrate on being happy with yourself right now and looking forward to the future.

[/quote]

Amazing fucking post. Wow

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

Amazing fucking post. Wow[/quote]
Second that,nice rds.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

Jake had to basically tell me the same thing last week. This is a great post RDS. Copying and pasting it to my desktop. Thanks

[quote]stinger70 wrote:

On another note, i like the idea of the trap bar deads if i can’t get the regular squats working soon, but we will wait and see on that because i really would like to be able to squat properly as well.[/quote]

Try “spreading your legs like a stripper” on the descent.

thanks guys, felt good to write it. It’s yet more advice I’m giving that I could do with taking myself

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

Best post I’ve read in 5+ years reading the forums.

Awesome post rds63799!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

Awesome post rds63799![/quote]

wow thanks man, really appreciate it

I don’t post that often but had to say doing awesome job here rds. Zraw, yourself and Jake really putting it out there, just great to see people helping each other out on here.

Plus awesome post above man, just perfect advice.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]
Best post…ever.

thanks guys, really appreciate it. Just trying to help as best I can. We were all beginners once

You’re a genuinely good guy rds.

[quote]ishinator wrote:
You’re a genuinely good guy rds.[/quote]

it’s really kind of you to say so man, thanks

Ok so it’s been 2 weeks since i posted my starting stats, re-weighed today at 184.2lbs so no weight gain unless i was carrying more water or whatever when i took the starting weight. It’s amazing how my metabolism up-regulates, i was expecting to have gained too much weight the way i’ve been eating. I’ve thrown some huge dirty cheat meals in there as well but my metabolism just rips through it no problem. I’ve been keeping the calories roughly around 3300 which should easily be 500+ above maintenance and 1500 more than i was eating 3 weeks ago, so i thought there would have been a huge rebound effect and gained back a lot of lost size. The only explanation for this is that i didn’t lose any muscle while dieting, which isn’t a bad thing. This is why i struggle to understand the whole lean bulking approach, some guys say like should aim for a 1lb per month gain, it just makes it impossible to track. Obviously this is not what you have told me to do RDS, but it’s just something i’ve noticed.

As an aside, i don’t know if i maybe have digestion issues. When i’m pushing up the calories, i literally just shit it out all the time. I’ve often wondered if this is my body wasting or rejecting calories. It also feels pretty miserable!

Squats today went WAY better. The hip pain was about 50% better, and somehow 60kg for sets of 10 felt way easier than 50kg the other week so hopefully my work capacity is quickly increasing. Without the real bad pain my technique was also way better because i wasn’t trying to compensate etc. I reckon it’s just a case of ripping up that scar tissue until its all broken down.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

Awesome post rds63799![/quote]

x2

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

RDS this is absolutely amazing. Going to copy and post in my log so I can keep a copy. Mahalo nui loa for sharing your insight. :slight_smile:

Stinger, keep up the great work.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
Ok so it’s been 2 weeks since i posted my starting stats, re-weighed today at 184.2lbs so no weight gain unless i was carrying more water or whatever when i took the starting weight. It’s amazing how my metabolism up-regulates, i was expecting to have gained too much weight the way i’ve been eating. I’ve thrown some huge dirty cheat meals in there as well but my metabolism just rips through it no problem. I’ve been keeping the calories roughly around 3300 which should easily be 500+ above maintenance and 1500 more than i was eating 3 weeks ago, so i thought there would have been a huge rebound effect and gained back a lot of lost size. The only explanation for this is that i didn’t lose any muscle while dieting, which isn’t a bad thing. This is why i struggle to understand the whole lean bulking approach, some guys say like should aim for a 1lb per month gain, it just makes it impossible to track. Obviously this is not what you have told me to do RDS, but it’s just something i’ve noticed.[/quote]

growth is not a linear process, it comes in bursts. Your weight’ll stay the same for ages, then all of a sudden you’ll put on a few lbs. This is why I don’t like talking about a fixed amount of gain in a month. Also don’t forget that your weight can easily fluctuate by 4lbs a day depending on how hydrated you are, glycogen load etc.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
As an aside, i don’t know if i maybe have digestion issues. When i’m pushing up the calories, i literally just shit it out all the time. I’ve often wondered if this is my body wasting or rejecting calories. It also feels pretty miserable![/quote]

are you eating plenty of veg? How many protein shakes are you drinking?

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
Squats today went WAY better. The hip pain was about 50% better, and somehow 60kg for sets of 10 felt way easier than 50kg the other week so hopefully my work capacity is quickly increasing. Without the real bad pain my technique was also way better because i wasn’t trying to compensate etc. I reckon it’s just a case of ripping up that scar tissue until its all broken down. [/quote]

nice, sounds like we’re on the right track. Keep doing the stuff everyday I told you to and keep on top of the soft tissue work. If it’s getting better then we know it’s working. Don’t slack off with it just because there’s been an improvement! Complacency leads to re-injury.

@ Skelac & HT - thanks for the kind words!

I saw your thread on the JM forum lol. Looks like we share that issue as well. I was just thinking about this today, i have no problem when on a cutting diet (low carb) but as soon as the carbs go back in again i need to shit way too often. Like, i`ll go in the morning, an hour later i feel really uncomfortable like i need to go again. I’ve also noticed a sudden increase in acne now that i’m eating more carbs again.

Nothing serious, but i barely got a pimple on a low-carb and now suddenly i get quite a few irritating small ones around my mouth/jaw area. I always thought fish oil should help with that but it doesnt. I realised the digestion can’t be due to whey protein because i was taking 5 or 6 scoops a day when cutting, and had no problem at all, i’m taking less now.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
I saw your thread on the JM forum lol. Looks like we share that issue as well. I was just thinking about this today, i have no problem when on a cutting diet (low carb) but as soon as the carbs go back in again i need to shit way too often. Like, i`ll go in the morning, an hour later i feel really uncomfortable like i need to go again. I’ve also noticed a sudden increase in acne now that i’m eating more carbs again.

Nothing serious, but i barely got a pimple on a low-carb and now suddenly i get quite a few irritating small ones around my mouth/jaw area. I always thought fish oil should help with that but it doesnt. I realised the digestion can’t be due to whey protein because i was taking 5 or 6 scoops a day when cutting, and had no problem at all, i’m taking less now. [/quote]

what kind of carbs are you eating? You might be sensitive to gluten and/or nightshades