Anyone Willing to Coach Me?

[quote]jppage wrote:
Rds this is a golden thread brother.The detail you go into etc. is freakin great.You are giving me constant reminders to roll out and stretch on a daily basis which I can easily blow off and usually do.Only time I remember is when there’s already a problem.You think I’d learn…[/quote]

mate I’m the exact same, I perform so much better in the gym and feel loads better in my everyday life when I keep on top of mobility work and soft tissue quality, then I let it slip, get injured, go back to doing loads of prehab stuff, feel great, then let it slip again and on and on.

and thanks for the kind words man, I’m glad you’re enjoying the thread, I’m having a blast doing it.

Great advice rds

Stinger, do what he says and you’ll be one large ripped motherfucker

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
Great advice rds

Stinger, do what he says and you’ll be one large ripped motherfucker[/quote]

if he ends up looking half as good as you man I’ll consider this thread a success!

haha thanks man! do you have any pics anywhere, cause you sure know your shit

na mate no pics, I’m not really anything too impressive, sit a little shy of 200lbs at 5’ 11", lean enough for good definition in serratus, abs etc. Kind of in a weird place physique wise - big but not big enough to turn heads, lean enough to impress on the beach but not so ripped I look freaky (which is always the goal, lol), so I can’t decide whether I want to add another 10lbs or drop down to insane levels of rippedness. Front squat 3 plates a side for reps on a good day, bench is about the same although I rarely ever do any barbell pressing. I started out about 130lbs so I’m proud of what I’ve managed to do.

What I am though is very good at making training mistakes and injuring myself. Because of this I’ve gotten good at rehabbing injuries and designing routines that prevent those injuries from coming back, so although I can write a half decent routine, that’s about all I’m good for!

Compared to the big dudes on here I’m small fry, but I do what I can to stop people doing the stupid shit I did when I started out.

That’s a good weight to for the condition you’re in right now, Nubret competed at like 212 or something like that and he was 6 ft tall so weight doesn’t really mean much. You know you could just blow up lean with the right tools

yeah man, I know exactly what tools you mean, lol. To be honest I’m happy enough at the size I am now for the time being. Summer’s on its way so I’d rather stretch out a medium than just fill a large! I’ll save the uber bulk til winter.

Time for an update:

weight: 186lbs (+2lbs)

Surprising as i haven’t been eating that much, just plenty of protein and then smashing a huge meal after the gym, I’ve still been doing IF, not sure if you approve of this but it suits my schedule (until i need more calories then i will have to drop it.)

The problem area on my hip is really badly bruised from the ball rolling, not sure if this is relevant, but i’ve never noticed that when rolling painful areas before. Im guessing its breaking up scar tissue or something, still hurting BAD on squats but i can push through it just about.

Did squats today with heels on 10kg plates, feels a lot more natural for me, i usually use olympic shoes but they dont work near as well as the plates. I read this from the “deadlift and leg press” thread and thought i would try it again. Much easier to get depth, but my weight suffers down to 90kg x 5 today because of going deeper and cheating less because usually i can just good morning the weight up when it gets tough. But the 5 x 10 squats felt a lot better and more natural with the heels elevated.

Also, you may not want to give targets but i`ll ask anyway: Roughly what sort of time span would you put on getting me bigger and leaner? I’m thinking that a year would be a good time frame to add some noticeable mass and then lean it out.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Kind of in a weird place physique wise - big but not big enough to turn heads, lean enough to impress on the beach but not so ripped I look freaky (which is always the goal, lol)[/quote]

Tren Week5 - The confusion zone

gh15

loll <3

But on a serious note I do agree that this thread is awesome,. keep going

yo dude, let’s get down to the nitty gritty:

-I very much approve of IF as long as you are still hitting your protein target. If you are training during the fast then you’d better be using BCAAs. I prefer the powder that you can drink, swallowing 20g worth of caps is a nightmare (you probably won’t need quite as much as that, that’s just how much I use). If IF fits your schedule then that’s great, but remember you need to be eating to grow so make those meals BIG (and clean). I get good results from IF and seeing as you and I seem to have quite similar body types I imagine you will probably do alright on it too.

-This hip pain is worrying me. Is it sore just because you’ve beaten the shit out of it so badly with the ball, or does it feel injured? Remember that a really hardcore soft tissue treatment really inflames and beats up a muscle, and your body needs a chance to recover from that just like it would from a workout, so don’t be absolutely hammering it every day. Take a few days off from the soft tissue work (except a bit on the hip flexors and piriformis before lifting) and see if it gets better.

-I don’t want you to push through pain, I want you to be able to exercise pain free. Does it still hurt with your heels elevated?

-how’s your squat form? Be honest.

-can you front squat pain free or is it all squat variations?

we need to get to the bottom of the issue with the squats so give me as much info as you can.

as for a timescale to get you bigger and leaner, well if you’re eating properly and training hard I don’t see why you can’t be significantly heavier and leaner (not huge but people who haven’t seen you in a while will be like dayum!) by the end of the year.

and I don’t think you’ll need to worry too much about having to lean out as long as you are eating clean and training hard. You’ll not be getting fat in the first place.

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Kind of in a weird place physique wise - big but not big enough to turn heads, lean enough to impress on the beach but not so ripped I look freaky (which is always the goal, lol)[/quote]

Tren Week5 - The confusion zone

gh15

loll <3[/quote]

LOL!

I keep away from that shit mate

[quote]zraw wrote:
But on a serious note I do agree that this thread is awesome,. keep going[/quote]

cheers man, I really appreciate it

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
-This hip pain is worrying me. Is it sore just because you’ve beaten the shit out of it so badly with the ball, or does it feel injured? Remember that a really hardcore soft tissue treatment really inflames and beats up a muscle, and your body needs a chance to recover from that just like it would from a workout, so don’t be absolutely hammering it every day. Take a few days off from the soft tissue work (except a bit on the hip flexors and piriformis before lifting) and see if it gets better.

-I don’t want you to push through pain, I want you to be able to exercise pain free. Does it still hurt with your heels elevated?

-how’s your squat form? Be honest.

-can you front squat pain free or is it all squat variations?
[/quote]

Honestly i’ve only rolled it once, it tore up pretty bad and was sore and bruised all week so i thought i better let it heal from that, it still hasn’t. I don’t think its an injury, i just think i have a ton of knotted muscle/scar tissue in there but i dont know where it came from as i didn’t have it last time i squatted (few months ago now) and it never gave me pain in deadlifts.

My squat form is pretty good with heels elevated, poor without as i lean forward too much as i have very long femurs and a short torso. I’ve been trying to squat on and off for 2 years and the only thing that ever worked was plates under heels. Front squat is equally painful or possibly worse.

Wowzers you must have had the sickest knot in history for it to tear up as badly as that, I’ve never known anyone to bruise like that from soft tissue work. Still, it sounds like you rolled that sucker good, lol.

If elevating your heels makes your squat form better then that’s fine, feel free to squat like that every time from now on. Just be sure you are sitting back into the squat like you are supposed to. And I’d rather you squatted deeper with less weight than higher with heavier weight, of course you should only go as low as your flexibility allows before your hips tuck under.

As much as I hate to say it, I think you are going to have to ease off on the leg training until that sick ass bruise is healed. Chances are when it heals, the inflammation and everything’ll be gone and you should be able to train legs without pain again.

So:

-take a break from training squats this week (sometimes it just has to be done) or at least until the bruise is gone
-next week add the soft tissue back in for the piriformis but for god’s sake go easy
-squat LIGHT but for high reps when you train legs again, paying attention to form

if it’s still hurting after resting til the bruise is gone and then adding the soft tissue back in for a couple of weeks, you’ll need to get it checked out by a physio, but hopefully it won’t come to that.

and I hope you’re doing your rehab stuff every day, that’ll make a big difference over time

rds, would you think about possibly having him do Trap Bar deads in place of squatting? This alternative would be great for his legs and better suit his body-type(long limbs, short torso) and possibly not cause him the discomfort he’s experiencing with the squats. At least until he gets the issue worked out.

I believe with long-limb/short torso individuals their legs are typically weaker than their lower back so that might be an issue to address as well as the corrective work.

I’m just throwing this out as i took a long time to even bother commenting as i don’t think i probably have a quarter of the knowledge or experience you do but it was just something i thought i’d throw out there.

I think its great that you’ve taken this on and i think you’re doing a fantastic job, i have a lot of respect for you doing it and as Dave Tate likes to say paying the training knowledge forward.

I like this thread. Good luck to both to stinger and rds!

As someone else who is really lanky (long limbs/short torso), I found Oly shoes to help for awhile with Squats. Also really hammering the shit out of my hammies so I was strong enough to stay tight when getting low in the Squat. Just my 2 cents

@ Eazy - thanks for the encouragement man, much appreciated. That’s a great idea about the trap bar deads, and I certainly have no problem with him subbing them in for squats at some point, but as of right now I’d rather just take a week off the movement pattern while all that inflammation in his hip dies down so we can see where we’re at. I still think that we can have him squatting pain free reasonably soon.

@ Spidey - thanks for the kind words, I’ve been following your thread man and I’m excited to see how that turns out.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
oh jeez, that routine is no good. I propose you now train 5 days a week

Day A - Legs

-Work up to a heavy set of 5 on squats (front or back)
-then drop the weight and do 5 x 10 reps of squats, rest period short but long enough that you can give 100%
-Leg Curl 4 work sets of 8 reps, with last set a drop set CONTROL THOSE NEGATIVES/superset with clam raises 4 x AMRAP (google them)
-RDL 2 work sets with 20 reps
-ab work, do what you like

Day B - Chest + Lateral Delts

-Pec Dec pre exhaust, 4 work sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Dumbell Press slight decline (put a plate under the front of the bench to tilt it back), 4 work sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Incline Machine Press, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps, last set a drop set, superset with dumbell lateral raises, 12 - 20 reps
-Push Ups, 4 sets AMRAP, superset with behind-the-back cable lateral raises, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps

Day C - Back + rear delts

-Straight Arm Pulldown, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps, really squeeze dem reps!
-Pulldown, 4 sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Dumbell row, 4 sets 8 - 12 reps
-Defranco’s Scarecrows, 3 sets 15 - 20 (do face pulls if you can’t do these)
-Rear Delt Flyes, 3 sets 15 - 30 reps CONTROL THOSE NEGATIVES

Day D - Legs Again (that’s right, legs TWICE motherfucker)

-Leg Curls, 4 sets 8 reps, last set drop set
-Front Squats, 4 sets, 12-20 reps
-Single Leg Press, 4 sets, 20 - 40 reps (you read that right, high reps for these puppies!)
-RDLs, 2 work sets, 20 reps
-ab work, whatever you like

Day E - Arms, Rear Delts + Traps (trap work is optional)

-Tricep Pushdown superset with Hammer Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-Reverse Pushdown superset with Cable Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-PJR Pullovers superset with Reverse Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-Rear Delt Flyes, 3 sets, 15 - 30 reps
-Barbell Shrugs, 4 sets of 12 - 20 reps (optional)
[/quote]

This is too much volume for someone not on steroids, and a beginner furthermore. I would do a routine that stands between this and what was wrote by Stinger, preferably closer too what stinger wrote.

^ I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion. It’s only like 4 exercises per muscle group and he has 2 off days a week. Bodyparts are only trained once a week for the most part, and for his second leg day he is doing a higher rep, pump type workout.

Well you can see where following my routines got me. I enjoy the routine RDS has me on a lot more than max ot so thats a huge bonus and it was the way i wanted to train, but wasn’t confident enough to make that decision for myself. My n00b gains are well and truly behind me. I remember when i first started working arms (rippetoe was wrong squats didnt make them grow) and i put half an inch on them in 2 weeks. So i know what being a beginner is like and unfortunatley i cant progress that easily any more.

But the whole point of this thread is to see if someone with experience can get me good results, if it still doesn’t work out after this then i will know its not my diet or training at fault and it will be steroids or bust. My patience is wearing thin with how long i can plug away without even obtaining the average male physique let alone one that belongs in a gym. My mate has been working out for a few months now, no regard for diet, and when i’ve trained with him his form is terrible and he said he learnt a lot from me. Ok so he is fatter than me, but he makes me look like a kid at the same weight and just 2 inches shorter, even though i have more lean mass than him and am a lot stronger.

On another note, i like the idea of the trap bar deads if i can’t get the regular squats working soon, but we will wait and see on that because i really would like to be able to squat properly as well.