Anyone Willing to Coach Me?

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I’m Scottish, me saying oats are no good would get me deported!

[/quote]

yup.[/quote]

you can’t be Scottish, you’re too lean[/quote]

If I get into the mens health cover model final I will be sure to advocate the scottish methods for gainz

Oats, tattie soup and peri workout nutrition from irn bru

[quote]The Greek wrote:
Not gonna lie, I’m really enjoying this newfound sense of camaraderie on this site. [/quote]

I agree. :slight_smile:

Ok just did the first workout, back/rear delt. It was pretty brutal, not used to that much volume and i took max 90 secs rest, you didnt say that but i’m pretty sure that was the intention. Straight arm pulldowns need some work, felt like it was pulling me off balance, but good pump in the lats. I have very good MMC with my back anyway, so i really enjoyed this exercise selection.

SA pulldown 35 x 20,12,12,10
CG pulldown 95 x 10,10,10,12
DB row 25 x 12,12,12,12
face pull 15 x 20,20,20
rear flye 2.5(!) x 15,20,15

My only concern is that i won’t grow if i’m not eating to grow, as i was stuck as a 140lb kid for ages until i started force feeding myself, and any time when i’ve lost that dedication to hammering the calories all day every day i felt that i didn’t grow. But hey if you can make these fucking 14" arms grow i`ll eat whatever you tell me to eat.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
Ok just did the first workout, back/rear delt. It was pretty brutal, not used to that much volume and i took max 90 secs rest, you didnt say that but i’m pretty sure that was the intention. Straight arm pulldowns need some work, felt like it was pulling me off balance, but good pump in the lats. I have very good MMC with my back anyway, so i really enjoyed this exercise selection.

SA pulldown 35 x 20,12,12,10
CG pulldown 95 x 10,10,10,12
DB row 25 x 12,12,12,12
face pull 15 x 20,20,20
rear flye 2.5(!) x 15,20,15

My only concern is that i won’t grow if i’m not eating to grow, as i was stuck as a 140lb kid for ages until i started force feeding myself, and any time when i’ve lost that dedication to hammering the calories all day every day i felt that i didn’t grow. But hey if you can make these fucking 14" arms grow i`ll eat whatever you tell me to eat. [/quote]

ok you didn’t do that exactly the way I wanted, but it’s my own fault for not being more specific. A couple of points:

-I want you to pyramid up your weights. So an exercise’s reps might look like 12, 12, 10, 8, using a heavier weight for each set. Don’t use the same weight twice in a row for anything.

-the 90s rest is ok, providing you are still able to give 100% for your next set. If you need to take longer, take longer. I’d rather you rested for 5 mins before an eyeball bursting set than rest for 90s and fart out something weaksauce.

-don’t worry about the tiny weights used for the rear delt flyes, it’s a tiny muscle so it’s to be expected. Remember, it’s not about what you lift, it’s how you lift it…

-do the straight arm pulldowns with your hips back like you were doing Romanian Deadlifts. You’ll get better ROM and it’ll feel more stable. Use a triceps rope if you’re not already.

VERY IMPORTANT POINT HERE
You are still eating to Grow! Very much so. I want you to eat like a motherfucker, but I want you to do it eating clean, nutritious foods.

Every meal (save breakfast which we’re keeping carb free) should have a decent size serving of protein, a few servings of veg and a BIG serving of carbs. These meals should be HUGE. Big fucking meals to make you a big fucking mo fo.

Eat like it’s homework. Eat meals that intimidate you. Eat to GROW my friend, but do it eating good foods. It’s harder to get enough calories eating clean, but that’s just the way it is. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

You can eat the occasional shite too, that’s fine. If you fancy a McDonalds or a Dominos or something every now and then that’s fine, but keep it to once or twice a week. I would recommend keeping your cheat meals for social occasions like pizza with your mates, a chinese with your girlfriend etc. More fun that way.

You can bump up calories by eating nuts as a snack, very calorie dense are nuts (I can put away 1000 calories worth in about ten mins). Full fat milk, or the extra fatty gold top stuff, mmmm, is good too for extra calories. You can also add cheese to pretty much everything.

You WILL grow eating like this as long as you are getting enough calories from the clean foods, and your intensity is good in the gym.

If you are really struggling to get enough calories from food then buy a weight gainer shake, but I’d prefer you to train yourself to eat huge-ass meals.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT
Good work so far! You’ve thrown yourself into the routine and that’s great. Keep the momentum going and really smash the other days. I will overlook the fact that you skipped the first leg day this week, but do NOT think that shit’s going to fly a second time.

feel free to ask any more questions you’ve got

oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you do decide to get a weight gainer, get a good quality one.

Nice that clears up a couple of other questions i had. I usually make my own gainer from powdered oats, whey, fruit and EVOO. The problem i ran into before was i just slammed food and shakes all day long and gain easily 1-2lb per week which lead to me getting fat. Whats the point of building muscle if you cant take your shirt of because of all the fat you built.

Also, didn’t skip the leg workout lol, thats scheduled for saturday, chest sunday, mon off, tues back wed legs thurs arms, repeat. Is it ok doing rear delts tues and thurs or would friday be better for arms workout? (that makes it a bit too close to chest day maybe)

nice, that weight gainer will do the trick nicely, although drinking EVOO sounds horrific. If you can stomach it though then go for it. Have one of those after training. If you find yourself gaining fat too fast (a little when bulking is unavoidable, although we are going to keep it to the barest minimum) then we’ll cut it out.

Yeah man lots of people make the mistake of fixating on the scale and thinking they’re making good progress seeing the number go up, only to realise that the only inches they’re gaining is around the waist. Don’t worry though, that’s not you anymore!

Your schedule looks fine, don’t worry about two rear delt workouts being so close. Rear delts and the rest of the upper back in general can handle a ton of volume and frequency so you’re all good.

and by the way, just so you know, I was 135lbs when I started training at 5’ 11" with a VERY narrow bone structure so I know exactly what you’re dealing with here.

good luck!

EDIT: One more thing, are you ok with how to warm up properly before lifting? I can write you a warm up if you like?

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
I’m just putting this out there to see if ANY of the experienced guys think they can help me. I’ve seen what Zraw is doing and think it’s cool, but obviously he has a lot on his hands now. I’ve posted before and got some good advice, but it seems so productive to have someone tailor a routine to your goals and give you a direction with your diet based on current stats. More importantly to check back with you every now and again to see how it is working and what needs to be changed. I’ve been told before that i would be bigger if i got coaching.

I’m 25 years old, 6’1-2 and my goal is to look like i lift weights, pretty simple huh? But more specifically i would love to be 200lbs at 10%. Currently 184lbs at an estimated 15%. I’m an ecto but i build fat quite fast and muscle very slowly. Starting weight 135lbs with 10" arms, my natural untrained frame just didn’t hold an ounce of muscle, and is VERY narrow.

I would consider myself just about an intermediate despite not looking like most would at this stage. I have a pretty good knowledge of diet, and i have put on i would say 35lbs LBM since starting which is as much as most intermediates IMO. My 1RM then and now lifts are as follows:

Bench 45 > 160
squat 65 > 240
dead 90 > 350

I’d love to work in some mountain dog style training esp for shoulders as they are a priority, and i’ve found MAX-OT rep ranges not to feel right for shoulders.

I’m not looking for generalised advice, i’ve had plenty of that in the past and learnt a ton. I just want to know if anyone thinks they can work with me, let me know. [/quote]

There is one thing very important for you achieving your goals and that is= clearly understanding that a 200 lb. lifter with 10 % body fat is capable of squatting 400 lb. and benching 300 lb. for reps,pulling 500 lb. in the deadlift and doing a dozen pull-ups with extra 50 pounds.You have a long way to go adding weight and reps to your lifts.Good luck & dont give up no matter what!

Im.enjoying this thread

Gj rds

rds, some of us following along would love to see what you recommend as a warm up! :slight_smile:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Dude you really don’t look that bad!

You are NOT 20% bodyfat, in fact you are not all that fat at all. Your problem is you have very little muscle, but that’s ok, we’ll fix that.

Do not keep cutting! Eat the way I’ve told you, train with the routine I’ve given you and, most importantly, relax. Everything is going to be fine.

If you keep cutting it’ll make you look worse, as you’ll just be stripping away flesh to reveal bone. Not good.

So yeah. Eat like I said, train like I said. You’re going to be fine.[/quote]

x2

His deadlift is good,squat is not too bad- I guess he is lower body dominant looking at his numbers and photo.
His double-bodyweight deadlift means that his overall basic strength is fine and now he can progress quite fast in adding muscle everywhere with sufficient volume.

[quote]zraw wrote:
Im.enjoying this thread

Gj rds[/quote]

thanks mate, I’m really enjoying doing it.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

yup.[/quote]

If I get into the mens health cover model final I will be sure to advocate the scottish methods for gainz

Oats, tattie soup and peri workout nutrition from irn bru[/quote]

I love the Irn-Bru! Nice stuff!
But I will stay away from any fried Mars bars! ;))

[quote]Ghall wrote:
rds, some of us following along would love to see what you recommend as a warm up! :)[/quote]

yeah ok, I borrow pretty heavily from Tuminello and Waterbury. A quick bit of youtubing will find you explanations for anything you don’t recognise.

neither of these should take very long

Upper Warm Up

-get a lacrosse ball and use it to work on your posterior shoulder capsule, and around your scap. OUCH! Can also be good for your pecs too.
-thoracic extensions
-scap wall slides
-LYTP shoulder drill
-prone internal rotations (careful not to compensate with the upper traps, you should really feel these in your armpit)
-prone trap raises, preferably with a resistance band but dumbells work

obviously all the activation stuff where you use weights like LYTP or the trap raises shouldn’t go anywhere near failure, but you should get a good burn. I like sets of 12 - 20 for the activation stuff. If you can get more than 20 reps without a bit of lactic acid creeping in, use a higher weight next time. If you can’t get 12 then it’s too heavy.

Lower Warm Up

-foam roll hip flexors, TFL, piriformis or just anywhere you feel tight. These three places are a must though.
-for extra points, use a lacrosse ball for a minute on the sole of each foot
-bird dogs
-dead bugs with wall push
-side lying clams
-glute bridges

and that’s it. You’ll notice I don’t do any static stretching. Honestly, I’ve just never seen a benefit either in my own training or in others’. If it makes you feel better though add whatever stretches you like after the foam rolling, but before the activation work.

As for the activation work, I’ve never noticed an increased benefit from multiple sets as opposed to just one good set, but if you feel you need more then that’s fine too. Cap it at three though, it’s a warm up, not a work out.

The idea behind the warm up is to gain proper mobility and stability around the joints you will be training, by activating the appropriate muscles and loosening up the tight ones (which happens through a combination of the activation work and the soft tissue work).

hope that gives some of you food for thought!

[quote]SKELAC wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

yup.[/quote]

[/quote]

Wise decision. However, never pass up the opportunity for deep fat fried haggis, fucking unreal!

[quote]The Greek wrote:
Not gonna lie, I’m really enjoying this newfound sense of camaraderie on this site. [/quote]
Agree…

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]SKELAC wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

yup.[/quote]

[/quote]

Wise decision. However, never pass up the opportunity for deep fat fried haggis, fucking unreal!
[/quote]

If I ever went to Scotland,I ll have that! ;))

Just got back from the leg workout (D.) Really shit night sleep last night (i’m a terrible sleeper) got home from work at 4pm and just wanted to sleep, this has been a problem with my midweek gym sessions for ages. Took some caffeine and forced my way through it, to be honest this is why i put my leg workouts on a saturday usually. Felt like i was dying after half a dozen reps of front squats with just the bar.

My conditioning / energy levels are a joke. “Catching” Pain inside hip much like the pain you feel when a rotator cuff is impinging. Did my final 2 sets on the hack squat instead because the pain was so distracting.

unilateral leg press is awesome though, we have a hammer strength machine and the pump in the VM is sick, hit the 20-40 rep range on those and didn’t feel like i was dying conditioning wise, very cool exercise esp as i have one leg much bigger than the other.

RDL i did 2 sets of 20 with just 30kg, im used to using WAY more weight than that but to get 20 reps you really have to reduce the weight.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
Just got back from the leg workout (D.) Really shit night sleep last night (i’m a terrible sleeper) got home from work at 4pm and just wanted to sleep, this has been a problem with my midweek gym sessions for ages. Took some caffeine and forced my way through it, to be honest this is why i put my leg workouts on a saturday usually. Felt like i was dying after half a dozen reps of front squats with just the bar.

My conditioning / energy levels are a joke. “Catching” Pain inside hip much like the pain you feel when a rotator cuff is impinging. Did my final 2 sets on the hack squat instead because the pain was so distracting.

unilateral leg press is awesome though, we have a hammer strength machine and the pump in the VM is sick, hit the 20-40 rep range on those and didn’t feel like i was dying conditioning wise, very cool exercise esp as i have one leg much bigger than the other.

RDL i did 2 sets of 20 with just 30kg, im used to using WAY more weight than that but to get 20 reps you really have to reduce the weight.[/quote]

that pain in your hip is a worry.

Did you warm up at all? Any foam rolling or anything?

Have a look at the sample warm up I posted up the top of the page.