T Nation

Anyone Willing to Coach Me?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
haha awesome that you are getting him to do legs twice[/quote]

kids these days are scared of hard work!

RDS’ plan is awesome, I have no doubt that you’ll look way better if you follow that.

well shit, where’s my coach?

Everybody wanna be a body builder, but ain’t nobody wanna do the research… But I do… - Ronnie Coleman… Almost a direct quote.

That routine looks pretty awesome. I was hoping for something along those lines and your split matches exactly what i wanted to do in terms of muscle groups/ days. The leg rep ranges look spot on. Questions:

  • How does progression work, and are the sets of 8-15 etc done by pump/feel or are we training to failure?
  • Are chest/lateral raises superset for a reason or just to save time? (same for arms)

As for diet, not sure why you say mine sucks, i’m already getting over 200g protein, and rarely eat sugar or vegetable oil. What about oatmeal for carbs? I eat wholemeal pasta sometimes, would happily swap that for potatoes. already on 5g fish oil, creatine, and have some ZMA but im not sure if it does anything for me. Also take a multi, will add in some extra D3.

I guess the one thing you left out is macros & goals for the diet. Should i continue with my cut until i get lean enough to bulk? Roughly how fast should i gain weight once the cut is over, approx cals & macros. Can post pics if required to influence this. In terms of fat gain im not obsessed with abs but would like to stay below say 17-18% if possible.

Thanks for the help so far though. Excited about the routine, should i swap over asap to that routine even while in a deficit? Or finish off the low volume shit for a few weeks, i guess that depends on your plan for my diet.

I wrote something about this few days ago…

those are some good questions, I shall address…

-progression just works in the usual way; once you hit your target reps with a weight, next time either go for more reps with the same weight (assuming it adheres to the rep range guideline), or the same reps with a higher weight. Nothing too complicated.

-take the last set of each exercise to TECHNICAL failure (stop when form goes all to shit, don’t wait until you can’t complete any more reps)

-chest and lateral raises are supersetted for the sake of time, if you would prefer to just do them not as a superset then I guess it’s ok but I would prefer it if you stuck to the superset guidelines.

the reason I said your diet sucks is that you are only eating 2000 calories and for someone your height looking to look impressive you are going to have to eat much more than that.

I am not going to give you a specific macro breakdown because honestly I don’t think you need it. As long as you are hitting your protein targets, eating veg with every meal and getting your carbs from good sources you will stay lean and gain muscle. Don’t overthink it. If you eat healthy, you will look healthy, and as long as your intensity in the gym is there you will build muscle and look awesome.

I also don’t want you to obsess over how fast you should be gaining weight. Chasing scale weight obsessively is a good recipe for gaining more fat than you want. I’m sure other posters will disagree with this but tough titty! I’m your coach and what I say goes.

Believing that you have to gain Xlbs a month will mean you don’t care where the lbs come from, which is bad. Just go by how your clothes feel, what your waist measurement is and how you look in the mirror to judge progress.

You probably wanted a much more thorough diet breakdown than that, but trust me, just eat big and clean, hit your protein targets, eat your veg and it will take care of itself.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
oh jeez, that routine is no good. I propose you now train 5 days a week

Day A - Legs

-Work up to a heavy set of 5 on squats (front or back)
-then drop the weight and do 5 x 10 reps of squats, rest period short but long enough that you can give 100%
-Leg Curl 4 work sets of 8 reps, with last set a drop set CONTROL THOSE NEGATIVES/superset with clam raises 4 x AMRAP (google them)
-RDL 2 work sets with 20 reps
-ab work, do what you like

Day B - Chest + Lateral Delts

-Pec Dec pre exhaust, 4 work sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Dumbell Press slight decline (put a plate under the front of the bench to tilt it back), 4 work sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Incline Machine Press, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps, last set a drop set, superset with dumbell lateral raises, 12 - 20 reps
-Push Ups, 4 sets AMRAP, superset with behind-the-back cable lateral raises, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps

Day C - Back + rear delts

-Straight Arm Pulldown, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps, really squeeze dem reps!
-Pulldown, 4 sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Dumbell row, 4 sets 8 - 12 reps
-Defranco’s Scarecrows, 3 sets 15 - 20 (do face pulls if you can’t do these)
-Rear Delt Flyes, 3 sets 15 - 30 reps CONTROL THOSE NEGATIVES

Day D - Legs Again (that’s right, legs TWICE motherfucker)

-Leg Curls, 4 sets 8 reps, last set drop set
-Front Squats, 4 sets, 12-20 reps
-Single Leg Press, 4 sets, 20 - 40 reps (you read that right, high reps for these puppies!)
-RDLs, 2 work sets, 20 reps
-ab work, whatever you like

Day E - Arms, Rear Delts + Traps (trap work is optional)

-Tricep Pushdown superset with Hammer Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-Reverse Pushdown superset with Cable Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-PJR Pullovers superset with Reverse Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-Rear Delt Flyes, 3 sets, 15 - 30 reps
-Barbell Shrugs, 4 sets of 12 - 20 reps (optional)
[/quote]

Brilliant!


Ok i just took a picture totally relaxed, i always avoid relaxed photos because i hate the way i look in them. All i can say is, its worse than i thought. I’ve been cutting for 6 weeks to achieve…this? I’m probably still 20% and i’ve lost 10-12lbs with no loss in strength. I’ve gone from rail thin to skinny fat.

What supplements are you taking?

whey, fish oil, multi, melatonin, been on creatine for a week or so.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
those are some good questions, I shall address…

-progression just works in the usual way; once you hit your target reps with a weight, next time either go for more reps with the same weight (assuming it adheres to the rep range guideline), or the same reps with a higher weight. Nothing too complicated.

-take the last set of each exercise to TECHNICAL failure (stop when form goes all to shit, don’t wait until you can’t complete any more reps)

-chest and lateral raises are supersetted for the sake of time, if you would prefer to just do them not as a superset then I guess it’s ok but I would prefer it if you stuck to the superset guidelines.

the reason I said your diet sucks is that you are only eating 2000 calories and for someone your height looking to look impressive you are going to have to eat much more than that.

I am not going to give you a specific macro breakdown because honestly I don’t think you need it. As long as you are hitting your protein targets, eating veg with every meal and getting your carbs from good sources you will stay lean and gain muscle. Don’t overthink it. If you eat healthy, you will look healthy, and as long as your intensity in the gym is there you will build muscle and look awesome.

I also don’t want you to obsess over how fast you should be gaining weight. Chasing scale weight obsessively is a good recipe for gaining more fat than you want. I’m sure other posters will disagree with this but tough titty! I’m your coach and what I say goes.

Believing that you have to gain Xlbs a month will mean you don’t care where the lbs come from, which is bad. Just go by how your clothes feel, what your waist measurement is and how you look in the mirror to judge progress.

You probably wanted a much more thorough diet breakdown than that, but trust me, just eat big and clean, hit your protein targets, eat your veg and it will take care of itself.[/quote]

Solid advice right there.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
your diet sucks too, from now on…

-200g of protein every day
-cut out the sugar and vegetable oil
-cook things in butter or coconut oil
-veg with every meal
-no carbs at breakfast (unless you train in the morning). Eggs are perfect here.
-all your carbs now come from rice or potatoes, I don’t care what kind of either. If you have to eat bread and pasta then ok, but it’d be better if you didn’t
-no soft drinks
-couple of bits of fruit a day, doesn’t matter what kind.

I’m not a huge believer in the benefits of workout nutrition, but if you want to have a protein shake before, during or after or whatever’s fashionable these days then fill your boots. I would pay a LOT more attention to the food you eat than the supps you use.

Speaking of supps, you now use:

-5g of fish oil a day
-1000iu of vitamin D a day (get the D3 softgels)
-ZMA

you can get some creatine if you like too.[/quote]

Didnt see this but its great to see you stressing the fact that diet is the most important part rather than getting caught up in shitty supplements.

Dude you really don’t look that bad!

You are NOT 20% bodyfat, in fact you are not all that fat at all. Your problem is you have very little muscle, but that’s ok, we’ll fix that.

Do not keep cutting! Eat the way I’ve told you, train with the routine I’ve given you and, most importantly, relax. Everything is going to be fine.

If you keep cutting it’ll make you look worse, as you’ll just be stripping away flesh to reveal bone. Not good.

So yeah. Eat like I said, train like I said. You’re going to be fine.

@Myosin & Rattlehead - cheers guys, appreciated.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
whey, fish oil, multi, melatonin, been on creatine for a week or so. [/quote]

The reasons I was asking this question is that:

  1. You mentioned wanting to train a little bit Mountain Dog style
  2. As a registered T-Nation customer, I believe you now have access to the Reactive Pump Training program without purchasing the Plazma stack first.

[quote]HawaiiTunya wrote:

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
whey, fish oil, multi, melatonin, been on creatine for a week or so. [/quote]

The reasons I was asking this question is that:

  1. You mentioned wanting to train a little bit Mountain Dog style
  2. As a registered T-Nation customer, I believe you now have access to the Reactive Pump Training program without purchasing the Plazma stack first.

[/quote]

Oi! He’s already got a coach thankyouverymuch

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
Ok i just took a picture totally relaxed, i always avoid relaxed photos because i hate the way i look in them. All i can say is, its worse than i thought. I’ve been cutting for 6 weeks to achieve…this? I’m probably still 20% and i’ve lost 10-12lbs with no loss in strength. I’ve gone from rail thin to skinny fat. [/quote]

You have no business cutting my friend. You should be focusing on getting stronger and eating well.

Do that for a few years and self-imposed labels like “skinny fat” (a pet peeve of mine; might write an article about it) suddenly won’t apply.

RDS has given some good advice.

Good luck.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
@Myosin & Rattlehead - cheers guys, appreciated.[/quote]

RDS,

I think it’s awesome you took the time to help out. Big props to you.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]HawaiiTunya wrote:

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
whey, fish oil, multi, melatonin, been on creatine for a week or so. [/quote]

The reasons I was asking this question is that:

  1. You mentioned wanting to train a little bit Mountain Dog style
  2. As a registered T-Nation customer, I believe you now have access to the Reactive Pump Training program without purchasing the Plazma stack first.

[/quote]

Oi! He’s already got a coach thankyouverymuch[/quote]

No worries, was just putting out the info out there because he specifically mentioned Meadows. :slight_smile: