Anyone Willing to Coach Me?

I’m just putting this out there to see if ANY of the experienced guys think they can help me. I’ve seen what Zraw is doing and think it’s cool, but obviously he has a lot on his hands now. I’ve posted before and got some good advice, but it seems so productive to have someone tailor a routine to your goals and give you a direction with your diet based on current stats. More importantly to check back with you every now and again to see how it is working and what needs to be changed. I’ve been told before that i would be bigger if i got coaching.

I’m 25 years old, 6’1-2 and my goal is to look like i lift weights, pretty simple huh? But more specifically i would love to be 200lbs at 10%. Currently 184lbs at an estimated 15%. I’m an ecto but i build fat quite fast and muscle very slowly. Starting weight 135lbs with 10" arms, my natural untrained frame just didn’t hold an ounce of muscle, and is VERY narrow.

I would consider myself just about an intermediate despite not looking like most would at this stage. I have a pretty good knowledge of diet, and i have put on i would say 35lbs LBM since starting which is as much as most intermediates IMO. My 1RM then and now lifts are as follows:

Bench 45 > 160
squat 65 > 240
dead 90 > 350

I’d love to work in some mountain dog style training esp for shoulders as they are a priority, and i’ve found MAX-OT rep ranges not to feel right for shoulders.

I’m not looking for generalised advice, i’ve had plenty of that in the past and learnt a ton. I just want to know if anyone thinks they can work with me, let me know.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
I’m just putting this out there to see if ANY of the experienced guys think they can help me. I’ve seen what Zraw is doing and think it’s cool, but obviously he has a lot on his hands now. I’ve posted before and got some good advice, but it seems so productive to have someone tailor a routine to your goals and give you a direction with your diet based on current stats. More importantly to check back with you every now and again to see how it is working and what needs to be changed. I’ve been told before that i would be bigger if i got coaching.

I’m 25 years old, 6’1-2 and my goal is to look like i lift weights, pretty simple huh? But more specifically i would love to be 200lbs at 10%. Currently 184lbs at an estimated 15%. I’m an ecto but i build fat quite fast and muscle very slowly. Starting weight 135lbs with 10" arms, my natural untrained frame just didn’t hold an ounce of muscle, and is VERY narrow.

I would consider myself just about an intermediate despite not looking like most would at this stage. I have a pretty good knowledge of diet, and i have put on i would say 35lbs LBM since starting which is as much as most intermediates IMO. My 1RM then and now lifts are as follows:

Bench 45 > 160
squat 65 > 240
dead 90 > 350

I’d love to work in some mountain dog style training esp for shoulders as they are a priority, and i’ve found MAX-OT rep ranges not to feel right for shoulders.

I’m not looking for generalised advice, i’ve had plenty of that in the past and learnt a ton. I just want to know if anyone thinks they can work with me, let me know. [/quote]

So you want someone to either do what they are paid to do for a living to you for free or you want someone who doesnt do this for a living or never did this to coach you?

This isn’t Jedi Academy where guys here have to take someone under their wing to be considered a master…

In my honest opinion (not worth much mind you) discovering things for yourself is gratifying and one of greatest things about lifting and diet.

I’m just asking, nobody is making negative comments in the other threads so why bother here.

I’ll train you! Why not?

what’s your current diet and routine look like? How many days a week can you train?

what equipment you got?

any injuries or anything I should know about?

Currently following a basic max-ot routine in which i have just changed the leg and shoulder workouts because i hated them, low reps hurting my joints and don’t feel right.

deadlifts 2-3 sets 2-3 reps
T-bar row 2 x 4-6
DB row 2 x 4-6
pinwheel curl 2 x 4-6
alternating curl 2 x 4-6

DB press 2 x 4-6
incline DB 2 x 4-6
weighted dip 2 x 4-6
flyes 2 x 4-6 (too heavy, not good)

Lying leg curl 2 x 4-6
RDL (changed to 3 x 8-10)
Squat 2 x 4-6
Hack squat 3 x 10-12

DB shoulder press 2 x 4-6
lateral raises 2 x 10-12
rear delt flyes 2 x 10-12
reverse pec deck 2 x 20
weighted tricep dip 2 x 4-6
french press 2 x 4-6

I train sat,sun,wed,thurs but could do 5 days mondays off is the main thing. I’m a member of 2 gyms so lots of equipment but i use one during the week and one at the weekend so may have to juggle days around to fit that.

currently cutting on about 2000 calories 240p/50-150c/30-80f depending on off days etc. Wanted to reach 10/11% before bulking to avoid getting horribly fat again, infact i still look fat at 15% i don’t carry it well.

[quote]stinger70 wrote:
Currently following a basic max-ot routine in which i have just changed the leg and shoulder workouts because i hated them, low reps hurting my joints and don’t feel right.

deadlifts 2-3 sets 2-3 reps
T-bar row 2 x 4-6
DB row 2 x 4-6
pinwheel curl 2 x 4-6
alternating curl 2 x 4-6

DB press 2 x 4-6
incline DB 2 x 4-6
weighted dip 2 x 4-6
flyes 2 x 4-6 (too heavy, not good)

Lying leg curl 2 x 4-6
RDL (changed to 3 x 8-10)
Squat 2 x 4-6
Hack squat 3 x 10-12

DB shoulder press 2 x 4-6
lateral raises 2 x 10-12
rear delt flyes 2 x 10-12
reverse pec deck 2 x 20
weighted tricep dip 2 x 4-6
french press 2 x 4-6

I train sat,sun,wed,thurs but could do 5 days mondays off is the main thing. I’m a member of 2 gyms so lots of equipment but i use one during the week and one at the weekend so may have to juggle days around to fit that.

currently cutting on about 2000 calories 240p/50-150c/30-80f depending on off days etc. Wanted to reach 10/11% before bulking to avoid getting horribly fat again, infact i still look fat at 15% i don’t carry it well.[/quote]

Weres teh volumeeeeee

The volume was slightly higher, but i cut a tiny bit because i was struggling to hang onto the strength across 3 sets etc. Even when i bulk i feel that 2 sets of say bench or squats, makes it way easier to add weight to my lifts than 3 or 4 sets, especially bench/pressing movements which im literally so fucking weak in. Whenever i train with volume i feel like it’s not hard enough and can’t get the intensity right.

oh jeez, that routine is no good. I propose you now train 5 days a week

Day A - Legs

-Work up to a heavy set of 5 on squats (front or back)
-then drop the weight and do 5 x 10 reps of squats, rest period short but long enough that you can give 100%
-Leg Curl 4 work sets of 8 reps, with last set a drop set CONTROL THOSE NEGATIVES/superset with clam raises 4 x AMRAP (google them)
-RDL 2 work sets with 20 reps
-ab work, do what you like

Day B - Chest + Lateral Delts

-Pec Dec pre exhaust, 4 work sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Dumbell Press slight decline (put a plate under the front of the bench to tilt it back), 4 work sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Incline Machine Press, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps, last set a drop set, superset with dumbell lateral raises, 12 - 20 reps
-Push Ups, 4 sets AMRAP, superset with behind-the-back cable lateral raises, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps

Day C - Back + rear delts

-Straight Arm Pulldown, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps, really squeeze dem reps!
-Pulldown, 4 sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Dumbell row, 4 sets 8 - 12 reps
-Defranco’s Scarecrows, 3 sets 15 - 20 (do face pulls if you can’t do these)
-Rear Delt Flyes, 3 sets 15 - 30 reps CONTROL THOSE NEGATIVES

Day D - Legs Again (that’s right, legs TWICE motherfucker)

-Leg Curls, 4 sets 8 reps, last set drop set
-Front Squats, 4 sets, 12-20 reps
-Single Leg Press, 4 sets, 20 - 40 reps (you read that right, high reps for these puppies!)
-RDLs, 2 work sets, 20 reps
-ab work, whatever you like

Day E - Arms, Rear Delts + Traps (trap work is optional)

-Tricep Pushdown superset with Hammer Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-Reverse Pushdown superset with Cable Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-PJR Pullovers superset with Reverse Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-Rear Delt Flyes, 3 sets, 15 - 30 reps
-Barbell Shrugs, 4 sets of 12 - 20 reps (optional)

haha awesome that you are getting him to do legs twice

your diet sucks too, from now on…

-200g of protein every day
-cut out the sugar and vegetable oil
-cook things in butter or coconut oil
-veg with every meal
-no carbs at breakfast (unless you train in the morning). Eggs are perfect here.
-all your carbs now come from rice or potatoes, I don’t care what kind of either. If you have to eat bread and pasta then ok, but it’d be better if you didn’t
-no soft drinks
-couple of bits of fruit a day, doesn’t matter what kind.

I’m not a huge believer in the benefits of workout nutrition, but if you want to have a protein shake before, during or after or whatever’s fashionable these days then fill your boots. I would pay a LOT more attention to the food you eat than the supps you use.

Speaking of supps, you now use:

-5g of fish oil a day
-1000iu of vitamin D a day (get the D3 softgels)
-ZMA

you can get some creatine if you like too.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
haha awesome that you are getting him to do legs twice[/quote]

kids these days are scared of hard work!

RDS’ plan is awesome, I have no doubt that you’ll look way better if you follow that.

well shit, where’s my coach?

Everybody wanna be a body builder, but ain’t nobody wanna do the research… But I do… - Ronnie Coleman… Almost a direct quote.

That routine looks pretty awesome. I was hoping for something along those lines and your split matches exactly what i wanted to do in terms of muscle groups/ days. The leg rep ranges look spot on. Questions:

• How does progression work, and are the sets of 8-15 etc done by pump/feel or are we training to failure?
  • Are chest/lateral raises superset for a reason or just to save time? (same for arms)

As for diet, not sure why you say mine sucks, i’m already getting over 200g protein, and rarely eat sugar or vegetable oil. What about oatmeal for carbs? I eat wholemeal pasta sometimes, would happily swap that for potatoes. already on 5g fish oil, creatine, and have some ZMA but im not sure if it does anything for me. Also take a multi, will add in some extra D3.

I guess the one thing you left out is macros & goals for the diet. Should i continue with my cut until i get lean enough to bulk? Roughly how fast should i gain weight once the cut is over, approx cals & macros. Can post pics if required to influence this. In terms of fat gain im not obsessed with abs but would like to stay below say 17-18% if possible.

Thanks for the help so far though. Excited about the routine, should i swap over asap to that routine even while in a deficit? Or finish off the low volume shit for a few weeks, i guess that depends on your plan for my diet.

I wrote something about this few days ago…

those are some good questions, I shall address…

-progression just works in the usual way; once you hit your target reps with a weight, next time either go for more reps with the same weight (assuming it adheres to the rep range guideline), or the same reps with a higher weight. Nothing too complicated.

-take the last set of each exercise to TECHNICAL failure (stop when form goes all to shit, don’t wait until you can’t complete any more reps)

-chest and lateral raises are supersetted for the sake of time, if you would prefer to just do them not as a superset then I guess it’s ok but I would prefer it if you stuck to the superset guidelines.

the reason I said your diet sucks is that you are only eating 2000 calories and for someone your height looking to look impressive you are going to have to eat much more than that.

I am not going to give you a specific macro breakdown because honestly I don’t think you need it. As long as you are hitting your protein targets, eating veg with every meal and getting your carbs from good sources you will stay lean and gain muscle. Don’t overthink it. If you eat healthy, you will look healthy, and as long as your intensity in the gym is there you will build muscle and look awesome.

I also don’t want you to obsess over how fast you should be gaining weight. Chasing scale weight obsessively is a good recipe for gaining more fat than you want. I’m sure other posters will disagree with this but tough titty! I’m your coach and what I say goes.

Believing that you have to gain Xlbs a month will mean you don’t care where the lbs come from, which is bad. Just go by how your clothes feel, what your waist measurement is and how you look in the mirror to judge progress.

You probably wanted a much more thorough diet breakdown than that, but trust me, just eat big and clean, hit your protein targets, eat your veg and it will take care of itself.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
oh jeez, that routine is no good. I propose you now train 5 days a week

Day A - Legs

-Work up to a heavy set of 5 on squats (front or back)
-then drop the weight and do 5 x 10 reps of squats, rest period short but long enough that you can give 100%
-Leg Curl 4 work sets of 8 reps, with last set a drop set CONTROL THOSE NEGATIVES/superset with clam raises 4 x AMRAP (google them)
-RDL 2 work sets with 20 reps
-ab work, do what you like

Day B - Chest + Lateral Delts

-Pec Dec pre exhaust, 4 work sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Dumbell Press slight decline (put a plate under the front of the bench to tilt it back), 4 work sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Incline Machine Press, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps, last set a drop set, superset with dumbell lateral raises, 12 - 20 reps
-Push Ups, 4 sets AMRAP, superset with behind-the-back cable lateral raises, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps

Day C - Back + rear delts

-Straight Arm Pulldown, 4 sets 12 - 20 reps, really squeeze dem reps!
-Pulldown, 4 sets, 8 - 12 reps
-Dumbell row, 4 sets 8 - 12 reps
-Defranco’s Scarecrows, 3 sets 15 - 20 (do face pulls if you can’t do these)
-Rear Delt Flyes, 3 sets 15 - 30 reps CONTROL THOSE NEGATIVES

Day D - Legs Again (that’s right, legs TWICE motherfucker)

-Leg Curls, 4 sets 8 reps, last set drop set
-Front Squats, 4 sets, 12-20 reps
-Single Leg Press, 4 sets, 20 - 40 reps (you read that right, high reps for these puppies!)
-RDLs, 2 work sets, 20 reps
-ab work, whatever you like

Day E - Arms, Rear Delts + Traps (trap work is optional)

-Tricep Pushdown superset with Hammer Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-Reverse Pushdown superset with Cable Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-PJR Pullovers superset with Reverse Curls, 3 sets 8 - 15 reps
-Rear Delt Flyes, 3 sets, 15 - 30 reps
-Barbell Shrugs, 4 sets of 12 - 20 reps (optional)
[/quote]

Brilliant!

Ok i just took a picture totally relaxed, i always avoid relaxed photos because i hate the way i look in them. All i can say is, its worse than i thought. I’ve been cutting for 6 weeks to achieve…this? I’m probably still 20% and i’ve lost 10-12lbs with no loss in strength. I’ve gone from rail thin to skinny fat.