T Nation

Anyone Watch Formula One?

Is there anyone on the forum who watches F1? I figured I’d throw that out here because I find myself on T-Nation blowing time at work during the day enough. Would be interested in hearing some thoughts from folks on this year’s season.

Someone asked the same thing a few months ago and got nothin’ lol. I used to watch it all the time but not so much anymore. The cars are so reliable now that the bottom feeders have no chance anymore.

I watch Moto GP, as you could probably guess from my avatar.

Yeah, Moto GP is good shit too. I was working out in Silicon Valley for a while and saw a couple races at Laguna. Anyway, I did a search and saw that post, so now I feel retarded. But anyway, thought I would ask. Yeah, it’s a different sport these days than it used to be, but it’s more of a soap opera for me. I love following all the drama that goes on.

And it gives me an excuse to travel, I try to see one or two races a year.

Lewis Hamilton.

Thats my fav driver

[quote]ethanwest wrote:
Is there anyone on the forum who watches F1? I figured I’d throw that out here because I find myself on T-Nation blowing time at work during the day enough. Would be interested in hearing some thoughts from folks on this year’s season.[/quote]

Thoughts on this season? I hope Mark Webber wins the title, I feel he deserves it especially after having a tough time with the politics of having Vettel as the clear team favourite. Red bull should really have had this season wrapped up, I can’t help but think that if some other more experienced and confident drivers were at Red Bull the season would already be over.

Ferrari have come back to the fore in the last few races, to my dislike, really don’t like the team and never could support them after the Schumacher years, the Alonso and Massa swap this year was a major sour point this season as well - I turned the TV straight of after it happened, it should be the job of the team to win the contructors title, and let the team mates race without interference, it’ll never happen though.

Seen some new technologies this year and some older ones not being used this (Kerrs? what is that about, I hear they are reintroducing it though next season). Really impressed with the aero package that Red Bull have brought this year, even inspite of all the other teams staring at the Red Bull F1 car they still don’t seem to be able to match their down force.

There have been no standout performances this year by anyone driver, even now any of the top 5 could win the championship although if Webber plays it right he should take it given the layout of the next 5 tracks. Robert Kubica has impressed but you never know if he gets favoured for parts over Petrov. We can be sure though that Schumacher gets the best of the best in his team, and even with that Rosberg has outclassed him all season, I see Rosberg doing big things in the future with the right car.

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
Lewis Hamilton.

Thats my fav driver[/quote]

Hamilton was staying at my hotel last year when I went to the GP at Monza. I got to meet him and chat with him a bit after the practice on Friday. I took a picture while he was signing a few autographs in the lobby.

[quote]NIguy wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:
Is there anyone on the forum who watches F1? I figured I’d throw that out here because I find myself on T-Nation blowing time at work during the day enough. Would be interested in hearing some thoughts from folks on this year’s season.[/quote]

Thoughts on this season? I hope Mark Webber wins the title, I feel he deserves it especially after having a tough time with the politics of having Vettel as the clear team favourite. Red bull should really have had this season wrapped up, I can’t help but think that if some other more experienced and confident drivers were at Red Bull the season would already be over.

Ferrari have come back to the fore in the last few races, to my dislike, really don’t like the team and never could support them after the Schumacher years, the Alonso and Massa swap this year was a major sour point this season as well - I turned the TV straight of after it happened, it should be the job of the team to win the contructors title, and let the team mates race without interference, it’ll never happen though.

Seen some new technologies this year and some older ones not being used this (Kerrs? what is that about, I hear they are reintroducing it though next season). Really impressed with the aero package that Red Bull have brought this year, even inspite of all the other teams staring at the Red Bull F1 car they still don’t seem to be able to match their down force.

There have been no standout performances this year by anyone driver, even now any of the top 5 could win the championship although if Webber plays it right he should take it given the layout of the next 5 tracks. Robert Kubica has impressed but you never know if he gets favoured for parts over Petrov. We can be sure though that Schumacher gets the best of the best in his team, and even with that Rosberg has outclassed him all season, I see Rosberg doing big things in the future with the right car.[/quote]

I would have to agree. I really want to see Webber win the title. I think he definitely deserves it. Being the president of the drivers association for a long time, and having been in F1 with sub-par equipment, it’s nice to see him at the front of the pack. He also proves that sometimes hard work and consistency is more important than natural talent. Personally I think it’s going to come down to Hamilton and Webber at the end of the year. While Ferrari has a tendency to piss me off sometimes, I must admit that I am a fan of Alonso, so I’ll follow him to whatever team he moves to. He’s a cry baby for sure, but I think he’s probably the best all around package on the grid because of his ability to work with engineers and develop a car.

[quote]ethanwest wrote:
Yeah, Moto GP is good shit too. I was working out in Silicon Valley for a while and saw a couple races at Laguna. Anyway, I did a search and saw that post, so now I feel retarded. But anyway, thought I would ask. Yeah, it’s a different sport these days than it used to be, but it’s more of a soap opera for me. I love following all the drama that goes on.

And it gives me an excuse to travel, I try to see one or two races a year.[/quote]

It’s just too expensive for me to travel to Montreal and stay for the weekend and watch a race unfourtunatly, i’m jealous dude lol.

I watched it mostly in the nineties and early two thousands. When Shumacher was battling, literally with Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve…that was drama lol. Shuey was an absolute cunt.

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
Lewis Hamilton.

Thats my fav driver[/quote]

Hamilton was staying at my hotel last year when I went to the GP at Monza. I got to meet him and chat with him a bit after the practice on Friday. I took a picture while he was signing a few autographs in the lobby.

[/quote]

SWEET!!! :slight_smile:

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
Someone asked the same thing a few months ago and got nothin’ lol. I used to watch it all the time but not so much anymore. The cars are so reliable now that the bottom feeders have no chance anymore.

I watch Moto GP, as you could probably guess from my avatar. [/quote]

that was my thread a few months back. I dig alonso, but they are going to take engine penalties because they are on their 8th one now and that is going to mess up his chance at WDC. he has the best chance though because he is the teams number one, webber and vettel and hammy and button are allowed to race each other…

motoGp is pretty amazing, i love watching Rossi.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
I watched it mostly in the nineties and early two thousands. When Shumacher was battling, literally with Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve…that was drama lol. Shuey was an absolute cunt.
[/quote]

He still is a cunt…

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
I watched it mostly in the nineties and early two thousands. When Shumacher was battling, literally with Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve…that was drama lol. Shuey was an absolute cunt.
[/quote]

He still is a cunt…[/quote]

i called it last year before he started racing again that he was going to micheal jordan himself. he was just the number one driver, in the best car (most rule bending?), he was a cunt, and had a team with their own private test circuit. it would be hard NOT to win in that car. alonso beating him was one of the greatest days of my life. i think fernando has the most talent of anyone on the grid, with hamilton a close second.

[quote]clockworkchad wrote:

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
I watched it mostly in the nineties and early two thousands. When Shumacher was battling, literally with Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve…that was drama lol. Shuey was an absolute cunt.
[/quote]

He still is a cunt…[/quote]

i called it last year before he started racing again that he was going to micheal jordan himself. he was just the number one driver, in the best car (most rule bending?), he was a cunt, and had a team with their own private test circuit. it would be hard NOT to win in that car. alonso beating him was one of the greatest days of my life. i think fernando has the most talent of anyone on the grid, with hamilton a close second. [/quote]

I agree about Fernando, when I first saw him race I told my boy “you wait and see this guy will be a world champion someday”.

Re Suey: He was pretty dominant with Benotton when he drove for them and that horrible paint job they had on that car. When Ferrari signed him up they had a shit car but after he showed up they dominated, eight kazillion dollars helps lol. And didn’t he get fined a few weeks ago for almost putting someone into the wall when they tried to pass?

I’m old man, I recall the days of Elf and their six wheeled cars lol. The John Player Special was gorgeous imo.

I would have to say that the best out and out racer is Lewis Hamilton, there doesn’t seem to be anyone else who can bully a car round a racing track like Lewis. My feeling is that if he was a bit smarter and made better choices that he would win more races, he just doesn’t seem to think as much.

Jenson his teammate is widely reported to be the undisputed master in a car that is perfectly balanced, when he is on it (like at the beginning of last season) he is pretty much unbeatable. He is extremely smart too, thinks races through and that is were the bulk of his points this year have came from. The problem with Jenson is that he cannot adapt to a car that is playing up, he likes to pick his lines and commit to them, if the car is tail happen Jenson isn’t happy.

Alonso in my view is the best all rounders, not the most talented, thats Lewis for my money, and not the best decision maker, thats Jenson to my mind. But he has enough smarts and enough raw talent to fighting for the pole on any given day.

Singapore

Ok guys Singapore this week, first two practice sessions are over and it appears that the Red Bulls are once again the cars to beat.

How do you see this one playing out.

Fernando on pole, definitely a shocker. I thought the pace of the red bulls would be impossible to catch. This should be an exciting race for sure. I was there live for the first race at Singapore three years ago and it was one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen.

.

Yep, qualifying was class, I had a feeling that Alonso might split the Red Bulls if he was lucky but pole was unexpected.

Alonso pole lap;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBkL2Vufgc

As for the race, I missed the start of it, but it kinda of panned out as you would expect after qualifying. Hamilton got stuffed by Webber, I don’t feel sorry for him though because if the roles were reversed Hamilton would have no worries about doing the same.

Kubica had a good run of overtaking after his 2nd stop, surprised to see anyone overtake during the race.

Driver of the day/weekend is Alonso for sure. An all round masterclass, he has hit his stride at a perfect time in the season and his composure is just unmatched at the moment. I still think it is going to be tough for him to win the championship, Red Bull should dominate the next tracks provided they don’t fall over eachother but with the form that Alonso is in it would be foolish to bet against him

Yes.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Yes.[/quote]