Anyone Using Windows Vista

This thread makes my head hurt. As long as my computer does what I want it to do, fuck it. I never could keep up with computer tech.

[quote]mike08042 wrote:
I wont be touching Vista until I have to. I hope Microsoft starts to smarten up and make a better, more secure OS one of these days. [/quote]

Same thing here. I’m still on Win2000. A fantasy of mine would be to try it on 2006 hardware, now that I have tweaked it (retro / minimal) to my liking.

Estrogen-episode: It sucks that fatware always takes the best of hardware. For each new processor upgrade, there’s always some extra code that’s going to make sure you never see a true speed increase. What good is a 64-bit graphics processor if your usual point-an-click functions are not faster. I couldn’t care less about graphic quality beyond 16-bits for colors.

On board graphics of lower spec will suffer under Vista. The pages kinda beam at you from nowhere to make them look pretty, but it costs memory. You can still switch to ‘Classic Mode’ with the grey menu’s like 98 or 2000 if you like which saved memory.

[quote]redsol1 wrote:
A couple of things:

One of the main things with Vista is that everything is rendered now, backgrounds, icons, everyghing. If you have a video card with less than 256mb of on-board video memory expect lags in screen refreshes.

Linux: I’ve noticed with Ubuntu that if you’re having trouble with it recognizing the LAN, try going back to the earlier reliese. I’ve got Ubuntu file server running at the office and the current build wouldn’t install, but the previous build works great.

Microsoft are sloppy coders. They set their sights very highj but their products usualy fail to deliver on anything but the base functionality. ANY server application that uses the Microsoft Management Console is going to be very hard to manage.

La’
Redsol1[/quote]

I found other Linux’s that seem to work better then Ubuntu types. This little one found my LAN and I was away. I even installed in on the only hard drive I had knocking about, a very old Fujitsu with a whopping 1.28gb storage.

Is only 50mb…

If you want bigger

If you are not a geek…stop here, other wise looky

http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm

Someone was bored.