T Nation

Anyone Using IE 6?

PLEASE don’t. You make things way more complicated for developers, and you are literally holding back internet technology. It’s also a bad idea security-wise.

If you manage IT at a company who uses IE 6, do your best to convince them to become up-to-date.

I would also appreciate people not using IE7, and fucking Microsoft not bundling an unwanted, difficult to remove plugin for Firefox with a totally unrelated Windows update.

Goddamn jackasses.

Haha, this is great!!!

Nuff said.

meh…Apparently it doesn’t feel like uploading my pic :frowning:

Unfortunately @ work, I am stuck using 6.0 because I cannot upgrade to another version. Limited access and all…

Firefox is the best browser I’ve found so far. Google chrome is nice but I still keep going back to Firefox.

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
Unfortunately @ work, I am stuck using 6.0 because I cannot upgrade to another version. Limited access and all…[/quote]

Same here.

I work for the state and they are very slow at adopting new applications. There’s a host of security and hardware issues to work through before adopting anything new.

We still use Windows XP sp2 statewide and I’m glad they didn’t adopt Vista, Microsoft still releases regular security patches for IE6 so there hasn’t been any issues with that.

I think they’re getting ready to update to IE7, but that might be another year.

Damn. Sucks to see so many people on IE 6. At least Microsoft will cut support in 2010.

I sometimes wonder if IT departments are just lazy though. I’m not that familiar with corporate IT protocols, but I’d imagine it would take the same amount of time to install IE 7 as it would to install a security update.

Just install IE7 everywhere you can and place a shortcut to “c:\windows\ie7\iexplore.exe” IE7 Rendering with IE6 interface

I use it but only because i AM a developer and it’s easier to design for IE6 and make it work in FF than it is to design for FF and make it work in IE6.

Once you get good at CSS and learn the tricks though it’s not that horrible and you shouldn’t ever have to have another stylesheet unless you’ve got a really extreme case. If you don’t want to do that though there are a lot of javascript plugins out there that will “fix” IE6 for your users.

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
Firefox is the best browser I’ve found so far. Google chrome is nice but I still keep going back to Firefox.[/quote]

x2, firefox all the way.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
I sometimes wonder if IT departments are just lazy though. I’m not that familiar with corporate IT protocols, but I’d imagine it would take the same amount of time to install IE 7 as it would to install a security update. [/quote]

Yup - It is that simple. In fact if a company is using WSUS (IIRC) you have to actually block the update or it’ll happen anyway.

Most of the time the block is put on because the upper powers that be assume that there will be too much retraining needed and it will confuse users.

Whenever I hear that old excuse I just push the upgrades out anyway and ignore the complaints from upper management.

Strangely enough the users just say "Oh look - it’s changed’ and get on with what they were doing.

I must say that half the time many companies are using bespoke software which has not been authorised for use in any other environment than a standard IE6, XP/W2K with basic service packs, and companies [IT Managers] are unwilling to lose support on their main workhorse software just to keep up to date with better web browsers.

[quote]nowakc wrote:
I use it but only because i AM a developer and it’s easier to design for IE6 and make it work in FF than it is to design for FF and make it work in IE6.

Once you get good at CSS and learn the tricks though it’s not that horrible and you shouldn’t ever have to have another stylesheet unless you’ve got a really extreme case. If you don’t want to do that though there are a lot of javascript plugins out there that will “fix” IE6 for your users. [/quote]

If I ever meet you, I’m going to kick you in the fucking balls. You are part of the problem.

Cool site here:

http://www.pushuptheweb.com/

I think I will add this to every project that I can get away with.

Catering to IE 6 is not the way to go. It needs to die.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
nowakc wrote:
I use it but only because i AM a developer and it’s easier to design for IE6 and make it work in FF than it is to design for FF and make it work in IE6.

Once you get good at CSS and learn the tricks though it’s not that horrible and you shouldn’t ever have to have another stylesheet unless you’ve got a really extreme case. If you don’t want to do that though there are a lot of javascript plugins out there that will “fix” IE6 for your users.

If I ever meet you, I’m going to kick you in the fucking balls. You are part of the problem.[/quote]

Sorry but as a developer I can’t up and say “i’m not developing for IE6, end of story”. Clients demand browser compatibility so that’s what I give them. A very large number of people still use IE6 (including many corporations) so it’d be pretty damn stupid to make (especially corporate) websites that do not support it.

Yes, it sucks though and we all wish Microsoft had done a better job with both IE6 and IE7.

I’ll stick with chrome. Firefox got slower when they added more stuff in. I don’t use a lot of the extra stuff I.E. and now firefox has, so I’m sticking with Chrome.

Luckily for me, my work allows everything, so I have firefox, chrome and google.